Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Sciatica

jbstexas
jbstexas
United States
2005/02/08, 02:59 PM
I am new to this website and wanted to see if anyone had any good advice. I have begun a 4-day per week weight training program after many years of very little, if any, weight lifting coupled with moderate exercise. I am very careful with respect to form and truly believe in the theory of working a muscle or group of muscles until failure, supersets, etc. I recently have been experiencing sciatica, which is the aggrevation of the large nerve that extends down both legs. The sciatica only affects my left leg and it is sometimes very painful if I turn or bend a certain way. I have been seeing a chiropractor who has advised me to stop working out my lower body, but that I may continue with upper body workouts. The sciatica continues to be painful, which makes it difficult to continue my workouts. I am making very good gains in lean muscle mass, but I also am an advocate of good leg workouts, including squats as I believe it is one of the few anabolic triggering exercises. If anyone else has experience with sciatica, please give some tips on what I can do to continue my work outs safely. The thought of stopping completely is very depressing since I have been recently making some very good progress. Thanks to all in advance.