Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

little of this...2nd post ,1st timed out

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2005/01/17, 10:58 AM
Keep doing your cardio, and lift more weights.
Don't try and get your friend to do what you do, or vice-versa.
Lastly, don't overtrain yourself, and let your body rest to recover. good luck to you.

--------------
If you can dream it, if you can imagine it, then you can be it, you can do it. If it is meaningful enough, and you commit the energy of your passion, you will.

Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
SarahJean
SarahJean
United States
2005/01/17, 07:31 AM
I'm not sure where I classify myself, but I wanted to describe this to you all and see what you think...without overdoing it too badly, I hope I can get it across.

I'd like to know if this sounds like bulimia or another disorder????

I grew up in an abusive home and my mom used to bring snacks home from the grocery store for me to keep under my bed so I wouldn't come out of my room and bug her boyfriend (who abused us), and, because of my abusive home I was really under socialized and had MAJOR trouble making friends. Kids tended to pick on me...no, abuse me. And at home, when he got the chance, my mom's boyfriend would call me names as well, like one-ton and baby beluga...hence why my mom tried to keep me away from him...with the foods. So after a while I guess I associated food with comfort.
I used to have this thing I did sometimes when I nibbled myself too full as a teen...I'd throw up. See now, I knew what bulimia was, but since I didn't do it all the time, and I never threw up very much (a mouthful or two just to feel less full) I thought that I must not be bulimic. And sometimes I'd skip eating all together because the feeling of being hungry felt better to me than feeling full...
I tapered off when I hit about 17...actually it was when I moved out of my mom's place, and I haven't thrown up like that since...well, I think maybe once quite a few years ago.

But I digress...
I continued some of the habits I developed as a child, although on a much lesser scale...one of them being eating late at night. And I know it's bad. It's the worst time for me, because I watch TV, and play with this computer, and I nibble...sometimes more than others. And it isn't that I buy awful foods either. I’ll nibble on whatever! Even healthy stuff!!...Just recently (within the last 3 to 5 months) my partner and I have made changes to our lifestyle, our shopping habits, etc. We just started going back to the gym, and we try to go every day. We do 30 mins of cardio, and a little resistance training...we plan to increase it over time.

Now, lets see...my other problem is kind of with working out...I've gotten better about it, but when we go to the gym I always feel as if I could keep going on the treadmill, long after my 30 mins has gone by, and my partner's ready to go home. But the thing is....
My partner is just over 300lbs, and I'm just under 225. When we work out I worry because I really want to do more and I'm afraid to, because I don't want to leave her behind. But I have so much more energy then she does, since she works 11 hour days. What do I do? Should I encourage her to do more too?

Also, sometimes when I eat before I work out I feel so full. And I start to feel like I used to when I'd throw up. But instead, I just try to keep a steady pace on the treadmill until the full feeling passes, as if I've just eaten too much, and I need to wake my metabolism up...you know what I mean????

But what do you all think? Am I just undereducated? I mean, I read almost everything I can get my hands on about diet and exercise, I've kept a food journal before so I know my trigger foods (white bread, potatoes and pasta) and I know better than to eat at McDonalds. So why is it that I still can't seem to get rid of that little voice? Am I suffering from something I’ve never heard of??

Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/17, 10:51 AM
I'm sorry, what was the question?

--------------
Anni

Quoting Michael: Your future is beckoning, pay attention to the call.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2005/01/17, 11:55 AM
umm just workout, and eat healthy..

--------------
My drinking squad, has a cheerleading problem!!
fsdsk
fsdsk
United States
2005/01/17, 12:48 PM
I have no idea why the 1st post would have timed out?????
SarahJean
SarahJean
United States
2005/01/18, 06:25 AM
OK, to clarify for anni313:

Sorry, I wasn't trying to confuse you, I've never described that to anyone and it was a little jumbled. OK, so what I want to know is...does nibbling at night and feeling guilty about it, not being able to stop and not knowing how to, and then going to the gym and never feeling like I can do enough sound like I have a problem?
How do I manage my eating habits so that I can lose weight, and how can I know that my gym time is effective? I allways want to train and train, until my muscles are sore, because I feel like I'm not doing enough and I'll never lose this weight!! But my partner has very little time to work out, since she gets so tired.

About timing out...it was my computer's problem not the site, and when I finished writing my post it said "error. site unavailable" because my internet timed out. It was a long post to write!

Otherwise thanks to all of those who managed to sift through the post and reply.
~S

Anni313
Anni313
United States
2005/01/18, 07:14 AM
Thanks for clearing that up for me SaraJean.

--------------
Anni

Quoting Michael: Your future is beckoning, pay attention to the call.
DanielJLove
DanielJLove
United States
2005/01/18, 02:50 PM
SarahJean,

I don't think anyone is truly qualified on this board to tell you if you have a problem, and if they were, they probably wouldn't do it on a message board. That being said, it sounds like you do suffer from some sort of disordered eating. It may do you some justice to seek the help of a therapist, not only for your disordered eating, but to help you deal with some of your "abuses" in your past.

As for the feeling of fullness when you work out, I would recommend that you do eat before you workout, but try not to eat real heavy foods. Also I tend to give myself an hour between a dinner type meal and a workout. The difference is that in the morning I can eat a bowl of oatmeal and go jump on the eliptical without to many problems, but after dinner I need time.

As for your partner. My wife and I can never agree on a workout schedule, and although I took a big step backwards in the last couple of months, I didn't make any progress until I decided I was going to do what I wanted to do to get in shape. That being said, would she be willing to go sit in the hot tub or pool while your continue to workout, or can you take seperate cars. Furthermore, if you are doing thirty minutes on the treadmill that is pretty good, but you may want to start with your resistance training, and then move to the treadmill. This will in the end build a better fat burning machine by adding muscle and it may make your workout feel more fullfilling.

Daniel Love
Reddy
Reddy
United States
2005/01/19, 07:53 PM
I have to agree with Daniel - do go see someone for the abuses - mental health is needed as much as physical health

try to keep a journel of what you are doing during your workouts & what you are eating

if you can't increase your workout time then up the speed some on the treadmill or the angle it is set at - those will help - you might want to look up HIIT & try that on the treadmill

Good luck - keep at it & you can make it

--------------
Reddy

All people smile in the same language