Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

strained tendon in forearm

kuzak
kuzak
United States
2004/12/22, 03:40 PM
Lift almost everyday for the past couple of years. I do one body part a day.

Lately (past 4 months or so), I've been experiencing pain and discomfort in the area in my forearm (underside of the foremarm between the elbow and 5 inches down from the wrist). it feels like a strained tendon, i spoke to some friends and they say they have experienced it and it goes away, but mine hasn't gone away.

It occurs especially when I do bicep exercises and feel it the most when i put down the weight and release my grip.

any pointers would help, the last thing i want to do is to see a doc and he tells me to stay out of the gym for a few months

thanks
nik
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/12/23, 07:47 PM
Sounds like it may be somthing like tennis elbow........unfortuannly all you can do is go light on it, and don't do things that aggrevate it. Give it a lil time off, give your biceps( if that what hurts it) 2 weeks off or so. It won't hurt them resting, you still get a lil bicep work from your back workouts.

--------------
The following, has not be approved by the FDA or FT, it was not meant to diagnose,treat,or prevent any diease(s) Please consult a moderator or doctor before using any of the suggestions or comments.

2004/12/24, 05:20 AM
sounds likes you have tendonitis....

take 2 weeks off from training....last 2 weeks of december seem perfect for this....then slowly get back into it...

realize that forearms are either directly or indirectly involved in ALL your lifts....so you're overtraining them....everyday is way too much for training...try to no more than 4 days in the gym...use other days for cardio, or free time...

also you might be going too heavy in certain lifts, sacrificing form....

finally, certain exercises are tough on your forearms, like barbell curls...this is the reason I stopped doing this exercise...so after taking 2 weeks off....observe if you have any pain and if so ...in which exercises...then substitue those exercises for others...
2004/12/24, 05:21 AM
also during your time off, try using Bengay and stretching it out ...
kuzak
kuzak
United States
2005/01/13, 08:25 AM
thanks guys, it feels alot better now...i just eased up my bicep workouts it was the heavey barbell curls that was killing it..so i avoided those for 2 weeks and iced my arm everynight...now it's much better..
cheers
nik

============
Quoting from menace3000:

also during your time off, try using Bengay and stretching it out ...
=============
2005/01/14, 05:32 AM
glad it worked....barbell curls is what did it for me too...try EZ-bar curls....you can go fairly heavy with them without putting too much stress on forearms/wrists...gl
_MiD_LiFe_
_MiD_LiFe_
United States
2005/01/25, 02:50 PM
I've been suffering with EXACTLY the same thing. I have only been training for 27 weeks... but it is to the point that I just can't bear the discomfort. I think I originally strained my forearms doing hammer curls.

I have taken this full week off... been continuing to have a clean diet... so just waiting to see if a couple weeks eases up the discomfort.

I too train with an EZ curl bar... but bought a new one last week that is shaped a bit differently than the one I have been using... it seems to take pressure off the forearms more than my old one.

Damn frustrating though... I have been busting ass to get into shape... have lost 45 lbs. in the past 27 weeks (241 down to 196 as of this mornings weigh in).