Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

treat your own back

princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/12/15, 04:30 PM
I have been having lumbar disc problems which I was hoping would go away if I ignored them for long enough, but haven't!

Today I went out and bought the book "treat your own back" by Robin McKenzie (of "McKenzie Technique" fame). I have just done one session of his exercises and already I am noticing an improvement. It is really easy to follow, with pictures etc.

I will let all know how I get on, but if anyone else is having back problems, I think this is definitely worth a go
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/12/21, 07:56 AM
Definitely getting better and have been doing the exercises religiously.

But is it the exercises, or would I have got better anyway?

not sure but I'm going to carry on with them anyway as an insurance policy.
2004/12/21, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the heads up Princess. The only thing that ever prevents me from working out is a recurring back spasm I've dealt with for 30 years. I'll find the book.

--------------
Sometimes I lie awake at night and wonder where have I gone wrong? Then I hear a voice say this is gonna take longer than one night.

Charlie
thecrad
thecrad
Ireland
2005/01/01, 08:56 AM
Princess
You should try doing revers hyper extensions wonderful low back exercise
Adrian
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2005/01/02, 06:47 AM
thankyou. - I do think that strengthening the back is the ultimate answer.

The treat your own back book is more "first aid" for when the back is in spasm - the exercises in it are not strengthening ones, but more postural.

I am just beginning to think about starting strengthening exercises again, as things are much improved. I will take a look at the reverse hyperextensions, thanks.
cold18pak
cold18pak
United States
2005/02/28, 12:43 AM
Princess,
I too have back problems, actually, I have a herniated disc, and Im currently on my 2nd epidural shot. Due to the nerve pinch wich made my leg very weak.
Im feeling better, but my leg is very weak. Also I get very minor pains when sitting for a long time, or when I make a rapid movement in the lower back.
I will pick-up that book u mentioned.
Do you think its wise to back hitting the weights or is it too soon. My injury occured 12-29-2004. Ive been to the gym but just walking on treadmill, and upper body, arms,shoulders and chest.

Thanks

============
Quoting from princesslodgey:

thankyou. - I do think that strengthening the back is the ultimate answer.

The treat your own back book is more "first aid" for when the back is in spasm - the exercises in it are not strengthening ones, but more postural.

I am just beginning to think about starting strengthening exercises again, as things are much improved. I will take a look at the reverse hyperextensions, thanks.
=============
cold18pak
cold18pak
United States
2005/02/28, 12:44 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2005/02/28, 09:25 AM

In the book I mentioned, the author suggests only doing stretching exercises once the pain has completely subsided, so I imagine that the same would go for weights.

That said, I´m no expert, so I would ask your own doctor or physio what they recommend.

I have found using fixed weights a lot easier than trying to move free weights, so I´d suggest easing yourself back in with these first of all, once the doc gives you the go-ahead.
cold18pak
cold18pak
United States
2005/03/01, 04:14 AM
Thanks Princess,
I will notify my Doctor on my next visit which is coming up in a few days.
Im eager to hit the gym, but afraid of injuring my lower back.
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2005/03/23, 05:17 AM
Thought I'd give you another update:

The exercises from treat your own back have been excellent at improving my back pain in the short term, but 3 months down the line, it's still flaring up now and then. I've ordered a new bike, and I'm just not going to be able to use it unless I get things sorted more permanently, so I've started going to the chiropracter.

I'm going to keep the exercises as a "first aid" measure, incase things come back, and I'll post again with the outcome of seeing the chiropractor