Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 21, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

HIIT , whats your experience?

kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2004/12/12, 11:13 AM
i would like to start some HIIT for fat loss.
before starting, i would like to who from my ftbuddies has already tried this methode or is perfroming it right now, and would like to know what your experience was.
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/12/12, 12:57 PM
HIIT can be really intense. Personally I would suggest just doing it once a week when you first start, and stick to a short workout time (like 16-20 minutes).
I don't know if you do your cardio on different days to your weights or not, but I've found that doing it on a legs day is a non-starter.

I get a really good endorphin buzz from it though :big_smile:

Good luck
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/12/12, 01:01 PM
Nice post princess. Keep your HIIT sessions to 15-20 minute sessions, and vary them up with standard cardio.

============
Quoting from princesslodgey:

HIIT can be really intense. Personally I would suggest just doing it once a week when you first start, and stick to a short workout time (like 16-20 minutes).
I don't know if you do your cardio on different days to your weights or not, but I've found that doing it on a legs day is a non-starter.

I get a really good endorphin buzz from it though :big_smile:

Good luck
=============

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
kakaroto
kakaroto
El Salvador
2004/12/12, 05:51 PM
what do you mean wiht non-starter?
fsdsk
fsdsk
United States
2004/12/12, 06:30 PM
The only thing I can say is to start slow. You should be able to find a progressive plan online. 20 min of cardio is nothing like 20 min of standard cardio.
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/12/13, 03:33 AM
By non-starter I mean that there's no point even trying as your legs are too fatigued to do the workout properly.
nerraw
nerraw
United States
2004/12/30, 12:26 PM
Kakaroto,
I mix HIIT into my cardio routine and have done so for the past two years. Some of the key points have been covered above, I agree with all particularly the twenty minute limit: HIIT puts your blood pump under some stress so you DON'T want to over train.
Next--Think pyramids. Start in increments of a minute at a decent pace, do three with a thirty second recovery between each. Move up a level, do two, again allow thrity seconds recovery between each, then one. Repeat the pyramid and you will have completed an eighteen minute routine.
Once you have built up stamina you can add a third pyramid bringing your session to twenty seven minutes, but consider that a really advanced routine.

Each session you should challnege yourself by upping the pace for each level. You can also play with the duration of each exertion by reducing the time, adding more intervals, adjusting the incline and so on.
(If I reduce the duration of each sprint I like to reduce the recovery period too)
You can also utilise the same routine on any cardio machine, or take it outdoors. If you run the streets you can use telephone poles to mark your intervals etc.