Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

Does cheating under control exist?

2004/12/06, 02:39 AM
What are peoples' opinions on 'cheating' in different exercises to get that last rep or to push yourself just a little harder?(I don't mean quarter repping squats/bench by going overly heavy)....like I have read on certain exercises it's ok to cheat and on others it's not...and so forth...wondering what everyone thinks...
2004/12/06, 02:43 AM
should have probably titled thread 'is cheating beneficial'...oh well
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/12/06, 10:04 AM
Only thing I have ever cheated on is bb curls...at least i think.

I find cheating a lil on bb curls to help, cause the motion is an arc, rather than a straight line like all other excercises. This arc to me anyways makes the weight heavest at bottom and in the middle. So I "bump" the weight with my quads, to get it to horizontal, on the last 2 3 reps. But I don't go over board with it.

And somtimes I may cheat on up right rows, give a lil dip with my legs to get the last one or 2.

Most other excercises if you cheat you can get hurt more so.

--------------
The following, has not be approved by the FDA or FT, it was not meant to diagnose,treat,or prevent any diease(s) Please consult a moderator or doctor before using any of the suggestions or comments.

bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/12/09, 12:52 PM
Cheating is/can be a growing tool. In order to advance in weights after you are highly trained for instance, you need to constantly expsose the muscles to increasingly heavier loads. This is where some "controlled" cheating is useful. If you do all reps under full control all the time, your body adapts to that load and will not have a reason to expend itself on something as taxing on it as muscle growth. There is no reason. Those clean reps you do all the time will be the norm, and will become "heavy". This is a sure sign that the body has adapted.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
2004/12/09, 08:57 PM
tks bb1

i forget where I was reading certain exercises where it's fine to cheat on last couple of reps and certain exercises where it's not recommended....i can't seem to find it...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/12/10, 12:36 PM
anything I guess, they would cause pain...that be a major no. OR if cheating, changes the way the muscle is worked.......like cheating on bench and arching your back, one puts presure on dicks, 2 changes emphasis to lower chest, which is what your not going for.

I bump the wieght with my legs, on curls...helps me out but still is working that targeted muscle.

--------------
The following, has not be approved by the FDA or FT, it was not meant to diagnose,treat,or prevent any diease(s) Please consult a moderator or doctor before using any of the suggestions or comments.

2004/12/12, 03:00 AM
Andrew what i meant by cheating is maybe slightly leaning back on curls....or perhaps slight bounce on deadlift or bench...I don't know good examples...I don't mean wildly bouncing weight or some other crazy thing

I also don't understand why you would put arching back as cheaching in bench...it's a 'standard' powerlifting form to move the weight...don't know if it's cheating in terms of bodybuilding...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/12/12, 09:50 PM
I dont' do it for the fact, it wil cause more strain than good. Doing this day in and day out couple times a week. Now if I was a power lifter, and a record wa son the line, then I might arch my back a lil to help move it. But again, many athlets do alot of things that eventually hurt their bodies.

Plus what more impressive? benching 300 back flat? or 300 back arched?

--------------

2004/12/13, 03:27 AM
I don't know what you mean.. i use the same perfect arch which I flex and hold doing push ups on the floor...I think it's actually safer this way....

Plus I generally do it apprx once every two weeks....so my frquency is much less than the average lifter/powerlifter

I also find that I can recruit more muscles this way...
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/12/13, 12:52 PM
menace theres a differance between a slight arch..........and building a "bridge".....i'm not talking about a 2 or 3 in natural arch. I'm talking about 6 to 7 in......enoguh to see daylight.

--------------