Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Wondering about daily calorie intake

terror_adagio
terror_adagio
Canada
2004/11/17, 07:10 PM
Hi there,

I'm new to these forums. I follow a personal calorie guideline for myself, I have for a few years now, but I really am unsure if its correct or not.

I'm a male, 20 years of age, 125 pounds, and 5'6. I work out (doing weights, etc) 3-4 times a week during the summer and during the winter, I attempt to get in 2-3 times a week. Although, since the semester has gone further in, I've had to get away from working out to focusing on my studies.

I stick to low fat foods, but I am concious that you do need fats. For saturated fats, I never go over 10g a day. And I completely avoid trans fats in foods.

My goal is to maintain my weight, not gain, or lose. My daily calorie intake I've kept to 1400-1500 calories a day.

For some reason, I have a feeling this should be more. But like I said, I'm not 100 percent completely sure.

Can anyone with experience in this give me their thoughts?

Thanks!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/11/18, 11:32 AM
This may help:

http://www.inch-aweigh.com/dcn.php

http://primusweb.com/fitnesspartner/library/weight/calsburned.htm

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.
***The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
terror_adagio
terror_adagio
Canada
2004/11/18, 04:45 PM
This is interesting.

It says for my age, height, and weight, that I need 2795 to maintain my weight. Thats with the option of Sedentary.

Doesn't that seem kinda high?
DX14AG
DX14AG
United States
2004/11/18, 09:45 PM
Yeah I do think that seems kinda high, but I also think that your idea for calories seems kinda low. I think you should be taking in about 2000 calories minimum. You've been intaking this much calories for over a couple of years now, have you noticed any change of weight at all? If you did, and it was weight gain, you probably want to take a little calories off your diet, if you've noticed weight loss, then add some. The best calculator for figuring out how many calories you need to keep your weight is do some experimenting yourself.

DX
terror_adagio
terror_adagio
Canada
2004/11/18, 10:47 PM
Yes, I've definitely lost weight.

I went from 175 roughly to my current weight now, around 125.
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/11/22, 04:35 PM
I agree with DX14AG, any type of formulations are only a baseline and we have to mess around with them until we find what works best for our individual bodies. That is why you would want to try it with two week intervals and then evaluate and so on and so forth. Sounds like you've done a fine job of losing that weight!

--------------
Veda
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
***When you are up to your ears in trouble, try using the part that is not submerged.
***The difference between a dream and a goal is a plan.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!