Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Increasing my calories, please help...

OoOGazOoO
OoOGazOoO
United Kingdom
2004/09/04, 05:21 PM
Hi there, i have been living on a low calorie diet for the past 6 months or so because i had an operation and couldnt do any sport which was a shock to the system. I thought if i dont eat anything i cant put weight on, what a stupid idea that was. I would eat around 800 cals a day and that would be it, and mainly at breakfast.

For the past month i have been trying to get some stability back and eating around 1600-1700 calories per day and exercising in the morning. I have actually gained fat because of the dramatic increase i think.

Basically should i go back to say around 1200 cals per day and raise it by 100 calories every week so that i dont get the excess weight gain back.

Please help

Many thanks

Gaz.

erebus
erebus
United States
2005/04/28, 09:22 PM
If your gaining fat that means your taking in too many calories for the amount of exercise you are doing. Yes you may also have gained a little since you did not eat much at all before, your body is not use to it yet. I would stay at 1600-1700 calories, but maybe you should exercise a little bit more.. Also I would reccomend exercising right before you go to bed rather than right when you wake up. If you exercise right before you go to bed, one your muscles grow the most when you sleep so they will grow a lot more then. 2 if your running you'll burn off the excess calories. When you sleep is when all of the excess food converts to fat, so you want to get rid of some of that. If you are having trouble getting the calories down, try eating protein bars, they're pretty high in calories, I think most are around 300 calories and they taste good. I hope everything turns out well, keep on eating. Take care.
Artemis-75
Artemis-75
Canada
2005/04/29, 08:29 PM
You have to allow for an adjustment period like it or not. For the moment, regardless of the amount of exercise versus calories, your body has to learn that the nutrition will continue. I'm not sure what your weight is but it seems very likely that you've been starving at 800 calories so your body is in self defence mode. for the first little while your body is going to store everything it gets in preparation for the next famine. If you maintain a healthy balance of good carbs and protein with a moderately low fat intake you'll bounce back. You will have to be patient though. You're adequate calorie requirement is based on your weight.
Settle into this site and you'll get all the info you need. I recommend the nutrition tracker as a starting point. you do a bit of data entry and it'll give you a recommended level of calories per day and will tell you how many grams of protein, carbs and fat you should be getting. After that if you have more questions check fit buddy or ask away!

Fill out your profile and stay a while! Welcome to FT, OoOGazOoO!

Erika.