Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

What the heck...

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/08/07, 11:28 AM

has happened to the Lakers? They are my team, and I'm starting to wonder what the GM's thinking. They've lost their coach, Shaq, Gary Payton, Rick Fox, and some others. They're a totally different team! It's exciting to see this change to a point, but I'm starting to wonder if they'lle be successful. Of course, Kobe Bryant (the best all around player in the game) could do some crazy stuff to keep them in the race, but there's only so much one can do. Anyone elses opinion?

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

David1201086
David1201086
United States
2004/08/07, 11:33 AM
Good I hope the Lakers Suck, they had practically had a dream team for a while now. Let someone else have a chance :angry:

--------------
Had to play with fire and get burned,
Only way the boys ever gonna learn
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/08/07, 10:57 PM
Haters kill me...they've still got Kobe so they can't suck cuz noone can stop him....but they're no dream team

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

fsdsk
fsdsk
United States
2004/08/08, 08:06 AM
We will see how good Kobe really is without a strong supporting team. I don't think he will be the dominating force everyone thinks he is. It will be intersting to see how things shake out next season.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/08/08, 07:17 PM
I think he's going to have a big adjustment, but I remember two seasons ago, Shaq took about a 10 game break (maybe more I don't remember) and Kobe went crazy scoring 35 points in 13 straight games in that stretch, and during that streak, he went 9 straight games with 40 or more. I've seen him score 56 in three quarters, so he can't just be all talk, though I agree it will be different for him, and it may take him some getting used to not having the big fella.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/08/09, 10:33 AM
Let's see if he can do it for 82 games.

--------------
You can cover up the flaws on your body, but there is no hiding a flawed personality.
kaiaw
kaiaw
United States
2004/08/09, 11:32 AM
Even if kobe averages 30+ points a game the Lakers do not have a prayer to get anywhere. First round of the play-offs and they're out. Kobe is good- everyone can see that, but fsdsk is right- he needs his supporting crew, and they lost that. I used to like Kobe- back in his rookie and 2nd years, but then he got that whole "i'm the next MJ" attitude. Next year his little smirk he's always wearing will disappear when he realizes that he cannot carry the team to the championship by himself. He needed the Diesel and Phil Jackson.
David1201086
David1201086
United States
2004/08/09, 10:02 PM
Ok lets sum it up. THE LAKERS ARE GONNA SUCK! Better yet lets talk about a sport worth talking about. Anyone watching Monday Night Football? :big_smile:

--------------
Had to play with fire and get burned,
Only way the boys ever gonna learn
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/08/09, 10:53 PM
Kobe doesn't have to have Shaq, because he's better than Jordan was at his age, and he's not the only good player they have. They've added Lamar Odom and Caron Butler, not to mention a lot of their supporting crew is still there. Kobe isn't the next MJ, because their games are totally different, but I think if he keeps putting in the work he's been doing, he'll be BETTER than MJ. there I said it

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/08/09, 10:56 PM
not to mention the only supporting team that ever helped besides Shaq was Fisher, everyone else sucked badly in the finals. this all is just my opinion, I hope noone takes it personal.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/08/10, 08:09 AM
Robert Horry, Rick Fox, Deavon George, I think they were all a big part in those championships. I also disagree with you, Kobe is not even in Jordan's league. Jordan made everyone around him better.

--------------
You can cover up the flaws on your body, but there is no hiding a flawed personality.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/08/10, 12:31 PM
You're right hec, they were big parts in the early championships, but they didn't do much of anything this year. And you're also right about Jordan making everyone better, and that is the only thing Jordan really has on Kobe if you think about it. That's why I say he has the potential to be better than Jordan, because Jordan wasn't like that at Kobe's age either, it only came in those championships when Jordan had already been in the league 7 or 8 years.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/08/10, 12:31 PM
You're right hec, they were big parts in the early championships, but they didn't do much of anything this year. And you're also right about Jordan making everyone better, and that is the only thing Jordan really has on Kobe if you think about it. That's why I say he has the potential to be better than Jordan, because Jordan wasn't like that at Kobe's age either, it only came in those championships when Jordan had already been in the league 7 or 8 years.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/08/10, 01:03 PM
sorry, I didn't mean to post that twice. I guess what I'm tryin to say is that Kobe has a chance to leave a better legacy than Jordan did because he has already done much more at 25 than Jordan had at that age.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/08/10, 01:11 PM
Kobe had Shaq, Jordan had nobody. Once Jordan got solid role players he was awesome. Kobe has to prove that he can win without Shaq. I will not even say KOBE is in the same class as Jordan until he proves it.

--------------
DanielJLove
DanielJLove
United States
2004/08/10, 01:27 PM
Hell, it might all be moot. It is kind of hard to play behind bars.

Daniel
2004/08/10, 01:38 PM
Was thinking the same thing unless Kobe can afford rings for 12 jurrors and a judge.

--------------
Waterskis with buffalo

Charlie
hecdarec
hecdarec
United States
2004/08/10, 01:58 PM
Kobe is getting off.

--------------
2004/08/10, 02:00 PM
Probably twice a night at least.

--------------
Waterskis with buffalo

Charlie
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/08/10, 10:37 PM
Jordan had one of the best rebounders of all time in Rodman, an awesome 3 shooter in Paxson, and an awesome swingman in Scottie Pippen, and they all accepted their roles. That's what was so great about the Bulls back then, they played as a team. I wish the Lakers had done that. Kobe is one of the hardest if not the hardest working player in the NBA, and he loves challenges. I think playing without Shaq is a challenge nobody thinks he can face, but I've never seen him back down from any kind of challenge, just look at how he played on the games after his court dates.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/08/10, 10:39 PM
Also, Shaq was incredibly dominant and obviously nice to have around, but he always comes into the season out of shape, gets hurt, and shoots free throws TERRIBLY and then comes back asking for MORE money. It's ridiculous really

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

2004/08/10, 11:43 PM
Shaq was "nice to have around?" He's by far the most dominant player in the game for the last decade. Overall, that team was the Diesel's ship and Kobe was the one who was "nice to have around."

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/08/11, 10:41 PM
Mzakal, I didn't mean to make shaq sound secondary. You are right in the fact that it was Shaq's team, but what I was tryin to say is that he should have took more responsibility in the off season and been more mature about it. If he and Kobe had stopped being such babies and fighting and just played, they would have 5 rings by now. But there was NO WAY that the Lakers could have even one championship without Kobe. He's the guy that always steps up and delivers in crunch time and will give you 40-50 points if you need it. The Lakers couldn't have survived without either one of them.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

jsvez
jsvez
Canada
2004/08/12, 02:12 PM
Hey aroundballer, what do you figure Vince Carter is worth and are there any teams out there who would want this guy. I know he wants to go to the knicks but they have no one to trade in return (or at least that they are willing to give up). Rumor has it Ray Allen would like to become a Raptor which could be an interesting fit. If I sound like I have no idea what I'm talking about its because I'm just a simple Hockey fanatic starting to follow basketball.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/08/12, 10:39 PM
Vince Carter was one of the best players in the NBA and a real ticket seller if you're an owner, but he's been having a lot of injuries lately. I think I read today that Ray Allen is staying with the Sonics, though I'm not 100% sure.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi