Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Squat injury

justaguy516
justaguy516
India
2004/08/07, 08:30 AM
Hi,

I am a beginning to intermediate level enthusiast of weight training. For the past one year, I am on a power training routine. Last Friday, I was completing a squat (6x200) and
on the last rep, I felt it a bit harder to get up. I went on
to a single-leg leg-curl on the machine. Just after getting
up from the first set, I felt a stiffness and a pain spasm on the back. Since then, I am having difficulty bending forward past waist level. It was pretty bad on Friday, but got better today with plenty of ice and an anti imflammatory ointment. How bad is this? Should I get an MRI done?

-best wishes,
Abheek Saha
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/08/08, 04:43 AM
If the main problem is back stiffness and pain, I would suggest seeing a physio or a chiropracter - they are better at treating muscular back pain than doctors.

If you have any areas of numbness/pins+needles or weakness in your legs then a doc/MRI might be more appropriate - the main reason for getting an MRI would be to see if you have ruptured a disc and if you need surgery, however, a physio/chiropracter will probably be able to tell you if you require this anyway.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/08/25, 12:05 AM
Sounds like to me, you
1 had too much weight
2 form was bad

I have back pains some after squats, usually cause I was leaning forward a lil too much. No biggy thing, if it continues for a week or more with out getting better at all, then go see someone.

3 things you need to be stong on squats
1st abbs
2nd lower back
3rd legs

if any of these fail, the other 2 have to compensate.
If you lean forward, back has to "pull" the weight back, and up.

If you lean to far back, abbs have to pull it forward, and you go on your toes, then the lower back has to pull it back, blah blah.

If your legs give out, well you need to lower the weight!

--------------
if you kick a tiger in the @$$ , you then have to descide what to do with the teath end.

any guy can hold a girl by the hand, but only the select few can hold her by her feet!