Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

Ha, I am fat?

madamsly7
madamsly7
United States
2004/07/30, 12:45 AM
Well, today I went to my army recruiters office and was talking to him about my weight. By just looking at my weight and measuring around my wrists, forearms, neck and butt, he came to conclusion I need to work off 15 pounds. I lift four days a week. I got back, but it is really muscular. I guess what I have to know, is there anyone with previous experience in the military or can explain things to me.
Beth :dumbbell:
bobosensei
bobosensei
United States
2004/08/10, 02:34 PM
My sister's friend is in the army and once you join it is still strange. She is fit enough to do all her physical training well under her requirements, but she is technically overweight. She is about 5'5" and weighs around 160, but under no circumstances is fat. She has to work very hard every time she is up for review. Look around this forum for ways to reduce your body fat while increasing lean muscle. Fitbuddy is the search engine located at the bottom of the screen where you can type in any word or question and see tons of responses about it.

Goodluck!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/08/10, 06:17 PM
dunno if this is true btu they seem to like a certain body fat % when you go into the army. One called me and I told them I Was not built for the military, and he aske dme how tall and how much I weighed, which is Close to 6'1 was 240lbs, and he said I was a good size , but what was my body fat, and I said somwhere around the 18% mark. That the Acceptal % was 20 or so, and that I would be ok. SO I dunno, any extra fat you carry, will insulat eyou and make yuou get hot quicker, and make you heavier, so you have to work harder to run, pull up etc. So I guess I could see why.

--------------
if you kick a tiger in the @$$ , you then have to descide what to do with the teath end.

any guy can hold a girl by the hand, but only the select few can hold her by her feet!
davisp
davisp
United States
2004/08/10, 11:19 PM
I believe the army is no different than the Navy as far as recruiting goes. You can be a little overweight going into bootcamp. The recruiter will tell you otherwise but in the end you will still be allowed to join. They always give in when they realize lieing about it will keep them from meeting their quota. Do not stress yourself out. Continue to eat and live a healthy lifestyle and you will lose weight. I am considered overweight but pass due to my bf %. Good luck! :big_smile:

--------------
Seeking out motivation does not motivate you to seek out results.

- Paul

Post mark - PaulsMark - Post mark
puresnowchic
puresnowchic
United States
2004/08/23, 02:28 PM
I joined the army July 2003, I was 5'8" and 180 lbs, but I was also training for "powerlifting" I was one of the strongest females at my gym, and just to let you know that wrist forearm butt waist thing is the ABSOLUTE worst way to measure bodyfat... my body fat was at 25% and they measured me at 32% so its very inaccurate, they just use it cuz its cheap.... so the only way to please them is to stay within your "ideal" weight range thats the only way you'll make them happy... even if you know in your heart its not correct...
asallot
asallot
United States
2004/08/26, 11:18 PM
i agree with puresnowchic,i am an army spouse (so i see alot of what goes one, though i dont have to go through it) and it is hard to stay below the max requirements the army puts out. alot of people are "overwieght" in the army, and they are sometimes put on what we call "fatboy programs,or speacial pops" basically p.t. twice a day. sometimes they are sent for nutrietion couceling.

personally i would suggest going airforce. better housing (which is true, if an airman and family have to live in army quarters they get paid extra for living in sub-standard housing), easier p.t., the docs approve procedures so much easier(was stationed at shepard AFB while hubby was in school, and got a heart surgery i've been fighting the army to approve for 4yrs). but the grass always seems greener on the other side i guess.

--------------
\"Wife, the hardest job in the Army\"