Group: Health Supplements

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 101, Messages: 16613

Supplements can be a great aid with your health and fitness goals. Combined with the proper exercise and nutritional plan they can be quite effective.

Join group

what do protein shakes do

preppyboy109
preppyboy109
United States
2004/07/27, 02:18 PM
I have been drinking protine shakes after my workout for about a week and i have noticed that i have droped 10 pounds and about 8 inches all around. I was just wondering what exactly do protine shakes do for ya. I know i pay for them but what else do they do bc make you go to the bathroom:laugh::laugh::laugh: if anyone could explain this it would be a great help thanks.
bbronswyk2000
bbronswyk2000
Canada
2004/07/27, 02:39 PM
they dont make me go to the bathroom. You are saying you lost 10lbs in 1 week? Thats hard to believe. Whey protein is the #1 supplement and for many reasons it helps in weight loss,strength gains,muscle gains etc it is very essential part of your daily meals.
preppyboy109
preppyboy109
United States
2004/07/27, 02:44 PM
well i started drinking them bc after i got back from vacation i gained 20 pounds and since i have went back to my strict diet of 1000 cals. of food or less a day and drinking 1-2 protine shakes i have lost 10lb. Bc on vacation man i hit about 3000-4000 cals. a day and didnt work out. :angry:
Damselfly
Damselfly
United States
2004/07/27, 03:46 PM
1000 calories or less a day? I sure hope you don't waste your time lifting weights. How can you even function?
Takes 3500 extra calories a day to gain 1 pound, just how long were you ON vaction? That 10 pounds you lost was water weight. I just got done losing 5 lbs in 3 days after a 4 day vacation (water weight.) Impossible for me/anyone to burn 17,500 calories in 3 days. Same with you burning 35,000 cals. in 7 days.....impossible.
Eat some food so you can stop wasting all of your muscle away, that is assuming you even have any left.
============
Quoting from preppyboy109:

well i started drinking them bc after i got back from vacation i gained 20 pounds and since i have went back to my strict diet of 1000 cals. of food or less a day and drinking 1-2 protine shakes i have lost 10lb. Bc on vacation man i hit about 3000-4000 cals. a day and didnt work out. :angry:
=============

--------------
Damselfly

Whoever said that sunshine brings happiness never danced in the rain. \\"unknown\\"
preppyboy109
preppyboy109
United States
2004/07/28, 03:10 PM
I was on vacation for 2 weeks and i do lift weights for about an hour a day and then i go on a 3-5 mile walk and then i ride a sta. bike for 3-8 miles a day. Then i drink a protine shake and i have tons of energy to last me the day.
Damselfly
Damselfly
United States
2004/07/28, 03:14 PM
Totally not healthy preppyboy and sounds like you either have an eating disorder or are on your way to one. JMHO

============

I was on vacation for 2 weeks and i do lift weights for about an hour a day and then i go on a 3-5 mile walk and then i ride a sta. bike for 3-8 miles a day. Then i drink a protine shake and i have tons of energy to last me the day.
=============

--------------
Damselfly

Whoever said that sunshine brings happiness never danced in the rain. \\"unknown\\"
borpillicus
borpillicus
Canada
2004/07/28, 03:23 PM
She is right. Don't starve yourself, it will only hurt you in the long run.
preppyboy109
preppyboy109
United States
2004/07/28, 03:27 PM
Im 15 and i way 238 pounds and im 5'9 theres no way i have an eating disorder or even close to one. :angry: i still get all the good grounds in me i drink probly 1 gallon to 1 1/2 gallons of water a day i dont wake up till 11am or so, so i dont eat breakfast. Im 15 i think my body can handel this im doing everything i did befor im just not eating as much. I know my own body you dont. I know its limits, and im no where close to them
bbronswyk2000
bbronswyk2000
Canada
2004/07/28, 03:35 PM
If you are going to get mad about contructive critisism than dont bother asking for help. I am 6'3 and weigh 235lbs eat between 2800-3600 calories a day and take 2 shakes a day sometimes a 3rd before I go to bed as well. My weight fluctuates it goes up and down alot. I am in a cutting phase and burn about 800 calories a day at the gym. So if you burn more calories a day than you take in all you are going to do is burn away your muscle as your body will not have any stored fat for the body to use as energy so good luck with that unless you want us to help I suggest you start listening as we are all here to help.
Damselfly
Damselfly
United States
2004/07/28, 03:49 PM
Preppyboy, the first thing you need to realize is that you do not have to weigh 70lbs to be classified as having an eating disorder.
Plain and simple you are over exercising and you are starving yourself! To me that equals a possible eating disorder referred to as anorexia.
Your age does not matter, 1000 calories or less a day is not enough calories for a 15 yr. old specially at your height and weight! Not only are you wasting away your muscle you can't possibly be getting all the vitamins and minerals your body needs.
We can't help you unless you listen to us. And yes, you may know your own body but you need to learn how to treat it right! You MUST eat more food and work on a better workout schedule.

============

Im 15 and i way 238 pounds and im 5'9 theres no way i have an eating disorder or even close to one. :angry: i still get all the good grounds in me i drink probly 1 gallon to 1 1/2 gallons of water a day i dont wake up till 11am or so, so i dont eat breakfast. Im 15 i think my body can handel this im doing everything i did befor im just not eating as much. I know my own body you dont. I know its limits, and im no where close to them
=============

--------------
Damselfly

2004/07/28, 03:57 PM
They're right, man. Your current plan willl burn away a bunch of muscle and slow your metabolism down, meaning that even though you'll lose weight, you'll still be flabby and it will be twice as easy for you to gain fat.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
Damselfly
Damselfly
United States
2004/07/28, 04:03 PM
I learned exactly this the hard way mzakal! Try being anorexic since the age of 14/15 then get pregnant and gain 60+ pds, TWICE! My body fat percentage was through the roof! I'm still working on getting it off........

============
Quoting from mzakal:

They're right, man. Your current plan willl burn away a bunch of muscle and slow your metabolism down, meaning that even though you'll lose weight, you'll still be flabby and it will be twice as easy for you to gain fat.

=============

--------------
Damselfly

preppyboy109
preppyboy109
United States
2004/07/28, 07:03 PM
Ok ok ive took in to consideration to what you all said and thank you i will start eating more i just had one of the biggest suppers ive had in a long time and i talked with my parents. They had no idea bc i do this when there at work. I wanna thank you all for stoping my before this could of turned bad. But i still have one question what do protien shakes do for you lol. :):big_smile::love:
Damselfly
Damselfly
United States
2004/07/28, 08:16 PM
Protein shakes are just a supplement, you use them in the place of protein such as chicken, beef etc. lol
Whey protein is very good after a weight training workout because it is fast digesting. I use it because I can't eat 6 small meals of real food a day, with my illness it would make me terribly sick.
It's also good for a nice quick meal if you are short on time, of course you would want to add a carb to make it a complete meal ; )
I'm so happy you have seen the light preppyboy! You will feel SO much better when you start eating more food and stop exercising too much. And hooray for you for talking to your parents!!!! I hope they listen to you and help you with your weight loss :)
Good luck to you and I hope you stick around so we can see your progress!
============

Ok ok ive took in to consideration to what you all said and thank you i will start eating more i just had one of the biggest suppers ive had in a long time and i talked with my parents. They had no idea bc i do this when there at work. I wanna thank you all for stoping my before this could of turned bad. But i still have one question what do protien shakes do for you lol. :):big_smile::love:
=============

--------------
Damselfly

preppyboy109
preppyboy109
United States
2004/07/28, 08:36 PM
My parents are very supportive of me and they work out with me alot to. They go on walks and stuff like that. I was looking at gnc and they have this pill called ripped fuel does anyone know anything about it if it works or anything it say you get flat abs in as littel as 4 weeks or how about xenadrian i think thats how its spelt its something like that well if any of you know anything about it let me know thanks
Damselfly
Damselfly
United States
2004/07/28, 08:45 PM
Skip it you don't need it!
As for flat abs in as little as 4 weeks? lol nope! Abs will only show when all the fat is gone and that means fat from everywhere on your body not just your abs! Only way to do that is through a good diet and exercise.
Don't look for a quick fix preppyboy it's not healthy. Change your diet and exercise that's all you need to do at your age :love:

============

My parents are very supportive of me and they work out with me alot to. They go on walks and stuff like that. I was looking at gnc and they have this pill called ripped fuel does anyone know anything about it if it works or anything it say you get flat abs in as littel as 4 weeks or how about xenadrian i think thats how its spelt its something like that well if any of you know anything about it let me know thanks
=============

--------------
Damselfly

neiltilley
neiltilley
United Kingdom
2004/07/29, 09:57 AM
If you are prone to doing your own thing and knowing what's best for your body- then either on line or on paper write down the rules that make your lifestyle your own law for you and stick to it- post it here and ask for the right advice and agjust your ideas if you think so! But do take sensible ownership and make plans with goals- such as write your own laws now= 5 portions of fruit/veg per day with your 8 small meals(includes snacking), protein early morn and night and before/after training with some simpler carb... and your aim be it summat like lose 2 pound a week whilst increasing barbell press by 2 kilos every 2 weeks on your usual 3 sets x10 reps or whatever. A running goal time or distance.. So haveing set your rules then tell us you know your body and it's limits and post a picture of your what will be brilliant results.
2004/08/01, 06:01 AM
Protein Shakes are used for replenishing your body's need for protein...or AMino ACids to which protein breaks down. WHen you work out, you break your muscles, and you need protein to help your body rebuild your damaged muscles, to make them stronger. You also use up protein for general body muscle maintenance and body fuel needs. You should be taking 1 g per bodyweight or more, up to 2g per lb. Drink gallon of water daily with high protein diet. ALso take more fiber , around 30 grams. Pro-rated is by far the best protein i tried. It's whey, and it comes in many flavors, in Costco they come in Vanilla and Chocolate, Vanilla is a lil better. it's 20$, 90 20g servings. 4g carbs per serving which is phenomenal if u want a stripped down protein shake. if u want one with more carbs look for ones iwth 2 to 1 carbs to protein ratio, and that carbs don't come from sugar. otherwise u might as well just take a stripped down version.
swannser
swannser
United States
2004/08/04, 03:53 PM
Hey all I'm new to the FT program and am looinking into taking supplements along with my diet and exercise program. I'm trying to loose weight and tone. I'm pretty active in cardio and strength training but have a really hard time dropping pounds (I don't think I'm getting in enough calories) I'm 5'9/215 lbs. and the FT nutrition program suggests upwards of 2500 calories! I've been getting in about 1800 for months but my weight stays the same. Is this too many calories? And do you think protein supplementation will aid in weight loss? I'm looking into total lean, cla, and whey protein supplements
Thanks!
preppyboy109
preppyboy109
United States
2004/08/05, 02:48 PM
Hi yall i just wanted to give you an update on me ive joined a gym and i got a personal trainer and you guys were right now ive been eating small meals a day nothing bigger than my palm he says i found out i was just storing fat bc i wasnt eating bc something having to do with your chemial balance like when you dont eat this one thing goes way up and causes you to store fat so yeah. Im doing really good thanks yall:big_smile::love:
Damselfly
Damselfly
United States
2004/08/05, 04:39 PM
So happy to hear this Preppyboy!
Good luck to you :)

============

Hi yall i just wanted to give you an update on me ive joined a gym and i got a personal trainer and you guys were right now ive been eating small meals a day nothing bigger than my palm he says i found out i was just storing fat bc i wasnt eating bc something having to do with your chemial balance like when you dont eat this one thing goes way up and causes you to store fat so yeah. Im doing really good thanks yall:big_smile::love:
=============

--------------
Damselfly

Whoever said that sunshine brings happiness never danced in the rain. \"unknown\"
mkindle
mkindle
United States
2006/08/11, 07:22 PM
hey I want to lose wait I just graduated from college and have gain approx. 20lbs over the 4yrs. any suggestion?
KC_72
KC_72
United States
2006/08/11, 08:25 PM
Hey mkindle...first congrats on your graduation.Number one:read through the forums ,mainly the stickies,you'll will get tons of advice.Start looking into some diet plans...bb1 just suggested one in the nutrition forum titled "diets made easy"...something to that effect.Get your self started on one of the workout plans from here and start asking questions.Good luck...have fun...and welcome to FT!!
ixiaznretard
ixiaznretard
United States
2006/08/12, 04:09 PM
i remmber the time i lost 10 lbs in one week

that time i was sick and had completely no appetite to eat

just took medicine and rested

sadly i gained back the 10 lbs 3 weeks later lol but its all good