Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Heavy Squats=Higher Vertical

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/07/24, 11:03 PM
Something I don't understand: I've been doing squats and I was just wondering, how do paralell squats help jumping? Ok, I know the obvious, stronger more powerful legs will jump higher, but when I jump (and all other bball players for that matter) to dunk, my legs don't bend very close to paralell before takeoff. Could someone explain to me how squats work?

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/07/25, 10:25 AM
You have an excellant point,I myself have wondered too.
but from my understanding heres how squats work.

You get the most out of squats, muscle wise at the degree at which its the hardest and most difficult......that average is 90 degrees for most people. That "sticking" spot si wher eyour body works the hardest to get the weight up, somtimes called "getting out of the hole". You dont bend that far down, cause it would take you too long to get back up. The strongest angel though is abotu 110-120( bout'halfway beween 90 degrees and 180, which is lock out) This si why peopel do half squats, you can pile more weight on, and go down this far, and do a alot more weight, however your not recruiting enough muscle fibers, and only doing the top half of motion.

although i'm not sayingt he parallel squat is bad for yoru sport you shoudl still do them , so you have good over all leg strength. Do some jumping squats after 3 or 4 sets of parallel squats. bend yoru knes just enough, as to how you set before you jump to dunk or rebound, explode up off the ground, as fast as possible, land; knees bent to absorbe. that should help your legs all around. Hope this made sense.

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/07/25, 04:16 PM
Thanks Andrew. Gator, I'm pretty sure I remember you saying that one should only do jumps with 15% of their body weight. I might add some jump squats in with my workout, as well as box jumps, because I'm making sufficient strength gains in squats and power cleans as well as calfs, but haven't seen much improvement in quite a while.

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/07/25, 04:17 PM
by improvement, I mean improvement in jumping ability.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

Ghetto2k4
Ghetto2k4
United States
2004/07/25, 04:29 PM
u doin low reps when u do Squats? and are u doin any step ups if not that will help u alot too
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/07/25, 05:40 PM
I do mostly low reps....I sometimes go 10,8,6 but I mostly do sets of 5 or less with up to 85% of my 1RM. I haven't done step ups in a while.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

Ghetto2k4
Ghetto2k4
United States
2004/07/25, 06:47 PM
do squats,step ups,calf raises,back extensions &weighted crunches but do low reps but here is a site too that will help u out too http://highflyerz5.bravehost.com/madhopsprog.html
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/07/25, 08:49 PM
make sur eyoru driving the weight up, key to jumping is how fast you explode, if your doing slow reps, then it may not be good for jumping.

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/07/26, 11:17 PM
What do you think about it, Gator?

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/07/27, 01:20 PM
I don't mean to eliminate anyone else.......I would like anyone's opinion in case that might have rubbed the wrong way

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/07/27, 01:23 PM
Andrew, in yesterday's workout I tried to focus on exploding up. I've been going up in weight almost every workout I do, but I'm still not seeing much of any results....I'm leaving for the beach thursday, so no squats or power cleans for about a week, but I'm going to do plyometrics down there, we'll see how my muscles respond. Maybe that fast twitch training's just what I need, now that I've made some big improvements in strength?

--------------
--Vince Lombardi