Group: Health & Fitness over 40

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 206, Messages: 2480

Group dedicated to men and women over the age of 40 that care about their health and want to take the fitness and nutrition down the right path.

Join group

UPHILL walking/cycling

Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2004/07/22, 05:41 PM
The only way to avoid t6he huffing and puffing, is to ride a little harder. Try getting your HR up and keeping it thier for at least 10 minutes. You will see the resistance training help a great deal. Strong glutes will aid in that area.
Good luck in the riding and 8 miles is really good.

--------------
"A will finds a way, failure is not an option"
Ivan
carivan@freetrainers.com
Montreal Canada
Woodie
Woodie
United States
2004/07/22, 11:39 AM
Biking uses different muscles then running and running is alot different than walking. Try slowing down a little on the hills so you won't have to stop. Even if you have to walk up. Keep trying and you will be able to get there.

--------------
I will get to it as soon as I am done lifting.
JessiesGirl
JessiesGirl
United States
2004/07/21, 08:15 PM
Hello to all! I posted this question in the Females and then found this board which is more appropriate(I'm 53). The question I'm asking is....I can walk or ride my bike on level ground, I'm up to about 8 miles. That's all the exercise I've done for a long time. I just started my strength training/aerobic workout(2 days only) So why does it kill me to go ANY part of an incline? Huffing, puffing, sweating, legs are weak and etc! I can't even go 1/4 of a mile without stopping to rest. I would have thought by now after walking for about a year and riding that I shouldn't have any problem. So...do I just take it slow, do what I can, and will the strength training help to build my legs and make it less difficult to go on the incline???

Thanx ya'll....Kathy
dfly411
dfly411
United States
2004/07/21, 08:34 PM
Kathy, please ignore the post above, every now and again we get attacked by hackers. The moderators will will be on it shortly.

First off, welcome to FT! Anytime you add a higher level of difficulty to your routine, your body will rebel! :big_smile: Take it slow and stick with the strength trainning, it will help a great deal!!

Julienne
2004/07/22, 05:45 PM
Folks listen up to Ivan....he's the Lance Armstrong of Canada.

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie
JessiesGirl
JessiesGirl
United States
2004/07/21, 11:31 PM
Thx Julienne...BTW am I the only lucky one who got javascript:void(0)
http://freetrainers.com/img/smile/sm_ha.gifthis?
JessiesGirl
JessiesGirl
United States
2004/07/26, 12:41 AM
Thx for the help! For the first time in a LONG time, my calf muscles have actually burned as well as the thigh muscles from strength training....it feels so good.

On My Way!

Kathy
PTF
PTF
Australia
2004/09/05, 09:52 PM
Uphill cycling is very different to flat road cycling. YOu should drop it down a gear (easier) and try to keep a similar cadence. Don't just use power but use your cardiovascular system to pedal. Don't expect to go the same speed. You will want to keep your heart rate at a reasonable level otherwise you will lactate too much and then you will have to stop. You should be riding at about 70-80% of your max heart rate to avoid avoid going over your lactic threshold. The longer you ride at this level, the better at riding up hills you will get and the better your lactic tolerance will become.

--------------
>>> The Personal Training Community <<<

Visit: www.personaltrainingforum.com
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2004/10/14, 08:03 PM
I love in incline walking but even after 3 years it isnt 'easy'. At first I would just do a minute at a time through out my walk. Now I cand a whole session of incline. As for the bike I havent been riding as long but recently did a random session that adds hills at different levels mixed in with flat riding and it was a real challenge. The second time I did it it was a little easier. Just keep at it and remember if it seems easy you probably arent getting as much out of it.

--------------
~Victoria~
...Do not be discouraged; everyone who got where he is, started where he was.--anon
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills