Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Plyos before/after weights

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/07/07, 03:13 PM
I was once told that doing plyometrics after weight training should not be performed-that one would be injured in doing so. Is this true?

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2004/07/07, 10:23 PM
I don't know about getting injured, but I would recommend doing plyos on a different time or day. Plyos require a lot of glycogen, something that runs out during a heavy weight training session. Treat plyos like you would a cardio session.

Hope this helps...

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!

E-mail: rpacheco@freetrainers.com
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/07/08, 10:31 PM
thanks....good advice

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

nellyboy
nellyboy
United States
2004/07/09, 06:12 PM
it kind of depends on your skill level. if you're a beginner who's just starting your first plyo routine, you should follow that advice (other days or before lifting). your body doesn't have the coordination endurance that advanced lifters have. you have only a certain amount of neurological energy in a given session and the majority of that energy should be used on exercises that put the most demand on your coordination. if you are advanced, you probably know what your body can and cannot handle in a given session. if you'd like me to elaborate on why this happens, just post your question.
ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/07/12, 09:47 AM
Plyometrics should always be done when you are at your freshest, regardless of your skill level. If the plyo routine is fairly brief it could be done prior to a light to moderate weight workout. It shouldn't be done prior to a heavy workout. Doing plyo following a weight workout of any intensity is counter-productive.