Group: Experienced Exercise

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 50, Messages: 19484

For intermediate and advanced individuals. Share and learn how to take your fitness to the next level!

Join group

Smith Machine or Not??

merlinhog
merlinhog
United States
2001/06/11, 01:13 PM
Just a quick question hopefully someone can give me some good feedback on. I like to do squats, but I have had some lower back problems in the past. Nothing major at all, but sometimes it irritates my back a little. Would I lose anything in doing squats in the Smith Machine for more control and focus on my quads? Or should I tough it out with a weight belt. I figure as long as I don't cheat, which I don't, it wouldn't really matter. The Hog.
Amr_Mr.Olympia
Amr_Mr.Olympia
Egypt
2001/06/11, 03:48 PM
If you don't use a weight belt yet, then you should go ahead and start using it. About the smith machine, it does get alot of strain off the back, but some Pro BodyBuilders prefer doing the most basic movements using free barbells or dumbells. Personally, I suggest consulting a Dr. if your back doesn't feel good.
Amr
mongrel2012
mongrel2012
Australia
2001/06/12, 05:10 AM
use the free weights.
tt_rocker
tt_rocker
Saudi Arabia
2001/06/12, 06:34 AM

using a belt can protect your back a bit when doing squats...especially if your handling a lot of weight. What makes the smith machine different is all the cables that it has which makes it safer and a little easier to do the exercises. I prefer using it when no spotter is around.
BillK
BillK
United States
2001/06/12, 09:59 AM
I've read where weight belts aren't all that good for you and can give a false sense of being overly strong which in return causes more injuries. Isn't it funny how there is always some type of documentation to contradict the other.

Don't go real heavy with Squats and using a Smith Machine is excellent alternative to free barbell.

~billk~
archan
archan
India
2001/06/13, 02:03 AM
I do squats on the smith machine and do not face that much problem while doing it.I always have a helper behind me while lifting a bit heavy than my capacity.Always wear a belt very tightly b'cos posture tends 2 be wrong while doing heave sets.Also keep your back as straight as possible.
sandman1202
sandman1202
United States
2001/06/17, 12:29 AM
I have the same problem. It was caused from an accident when I was 19. The way I train is usually with a Smith machine. All the positive things that a Smith machine gives, out weigh the negatives. The only negative thing that I could think of on a Smith machine is the extra friction from the alignment bars. Other than that there is no negative thing. You practically have a built in spotter and the machine forces you to have perfect vertical lift. Any body builder that knows about anatomy and the sport will tell you that FORM IS FAR MORE IMPORTANT THAN WEIGHT!! No matter how long you've trained, it's understood that if you increase your weight you're compromising your form. Form is what develops symettry and a better stretch for the muscle.
If your back starts to hurt even after doing the squats on the Smith machine, then you should move to the leg press. However, even while on the press machine it's still useful to wear a weight belt. And I'm sure you're well aware of leg extensions for you quads. Please keep in mind that the type of injury affects how you should work out. If your injury is joint related, try doing exercises that don't require you to stand. This way, if there are any irritations to the area, you won't need to support yourself after you've just hurt yourself doing the exercise. GOOD LUCK
mongrel2012
mongrel2012
Australia
2001/06/17, 08:44 AM
I think that it depends on your goals of lifting as well as physical condition. A bodybuilder could get away with using the smith machine, but someone training for practical strength (eg strongman) would need to use the free weights. Same with football players, the environment requiring balance in the free squat would be much more applicable on the playing field than a machine squat. These athletes usually have excellent form from quality coaching..