Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

binge ended

desbug01
desbug01
United States
2004/05/26, 10:46 AM
Whew! Yesterday is over and today is a brand new day. Good new is I didn't purge and I did enjoy a very good dinner that my hubby cooked for us. I was unconfortably full after dinner and still ate cheesecake but i did enjoy it. Today I feel in control again and optimistic. Eating small meals today to give my tummy a rest from yesterday but not going into diet mode again. I do need to try and find a good eating plan that is about 1500-1800 cal per day. I also need to find a low stess excercize plan that I can handle. I believe part of what trigger the binge 2 days ago was that I started working 10 hr days this week and i didn't get enough sleep. when i am tired it usually triggers a binge. I tried compensating with coffee which makes it worse. I do need to try to find a therapist however I really cannot afford it. Perhaps I should try OA? Any suggestions. Thank-you all for your support and encouragement. It really helped me get through it. Sometimes it feels like it will never end. Today I have hope. :love:
princesslodgey
princesslodgey
United Kingdom
2004/05/29, 06:06 AM
desbug, I hope all is going well. The following have helped me :
1. eat small meals 5-6 times a day - eating frequently keeps your metabolism revved up and also helps reduce cravings
2. weigh yourself once a week maximum (preferably not at all - are the scales still hidden?)
3. think about setting yourself a fitness goal - I found this really helpful in shifting the focus away from how much I weighed - it was such a positive thing to do. My goal was a century bike ride, but it could be anything - a 5k run or what about the strength challenge that charlie and danielle are running?
let us know how you are getting on
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/01, 12:57 PM
Everyday is a new day, just remember that, forgive yourself and move on to a new day! You will succeed!

--------------
****MISERY IS OPTIONAL****
*****SMILES FOR MILES*****
desbug01
desbug01
United States
2004/06/01, 03:58 PM
I am doing ok. Made it through Memorial day with only a 1/2 purge (meaning that I did not completely purge, only enough for my stomach to be comfortable. The next day I binged and was going to purge but I couldn't do it. So I suffered with a full belly all day. Yes my scale is still in hiding but I did get it out this morning to weigh myself and yikes...all this binging has really spiked my weight up. I do need to get a goal but I'm not sure what it should be or what I want to accomplish. I will be thinking about that this week and try to figure something out. I have been easier on myself and let myself go a bit. Trying to forgive myself and find balance in my eating/excercizing. For the next two weeks I will be unable to go to the gym regularly so I am walking and doing pilates at home when I can. I plan on getting back into the weight training and cardio full force starting 6/14/04. I am working on eating 4-6 small meals a day.
Everyday is a new day so I must keep pressing forward.

~des~
Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/06/03, 05:15 PM
Sorry to poke in here since I don't purge/binge but just thought that maybe I might have an idea for helping you not to eat to the point where you are "overfull" and feel the need to purge. While eating, between each biteful, put your fork down and take a drink of water/milk/whatever you are drinking. It takes your body almost a full 15 minutes to really trigger the "full" feeling even though you might have already passed that point at say 7 minutes, hence you wind up being "overful" because you ate till you started to get the feeling. I don't know if this will help or not but I hope so! GL and like Veda said everyday is new, and a chance to do better than before!!!!:love:

--------------
Love me as I am . . .
Let me worry about how I look!
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/03, 06:00 PM
Kyrah, you are always welcome with your great suggestions and motivational ideals! I believe I will give that a try!

Desbug01, everything you do working toward a healthier lifestyle is important, so if you start with your 4-6 smaller meals first, then get working out, etc., you are improving your lifestyle by each moment. You weighed yourself and found your weight was up, so now you are aware and you are not hiding your gain from yourself and are better able to do what is necessary to get on track. That is the hardest part, being honest with ourselves, I believe. It is so easy to convince myself that I "couldn't of eaten that many calories today" when I eat them fast and quick and hide the wrappers, hehehee! Or I tell myself that I hadn't eaten anything all day, so my body needed the pound of potatoes and 1/2 cow I just plowed through! I don't have a scale, but, I just go in and slip on my jeans and know immediately if I've gained...or lost. I've been avoiding them of late. I am with you on the smaller, more often eating patterns, maybe that will help my starving then binging.

I guess I don't know if I am a "fullfledged binger" as I usually stop before I am too full as I HATE feeling stuffed and feel so sick. What I do is starve myself throughout most of the day and then I eat everything in sight until I am full, which takes a bit, trust me! Usually that means eating all the garbage that is quickest to open if I don't make it to dinner, so I have decided to not buy any of those treats any longer. Rather, I will bake treats now and then, which aren't great, but I have this funny habit that I will eat a few cookies or a brownie when I first bake them and then I don't touch them again. I also don't "purge" anymore as I developed terrible acid reflux and have behaved myself for many years with regard to that. Instead, I have just been putting on the weight and putting it on.

Either way, I haven't been eating healthy, period.

--------------
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
SMILES FOR MILES
desbug01
desbug01
United States
2004/06/04, 09:05 AM
Thank-you all for your help and encouragement!
As I was going on my morning walk I refected on my progress.
Here goes...
I stopped starving myself after a binge. I have been able to keep going with my eating plan.
I binge less and eat less when I do binge.
I purge less after a binge than I used to.
I see this a progress and hope to get to the place where I am completely free of this.
Binging for me is not usually a matter of being hungry...it starts as a thought of how good a certain item would taste and the thought keeps progressing until I have a binge planned out. When I start it is very hard to stop. If I could find a way to break that pattern I am sure it would help tremendously.
I started a mantra that goes..."Nothing feels as good as being healthy and feeling great tastes"

~Des~:love:
Vedakathryn
Vedakathryn
United States
2004/06/04, 11:01 AM
You are so good to look at your positive progress! You are on your way and you will succeed if you continue taking these steps! Look deep within and see if there is any other thing nagging at your inner being that may be in the way. Mine is the fact that I just don't ever feel worth the bother, I'm trying to get over that and it isn't easy finding things to "love" about myself when I look in the mirror!! But, hey, the good Lord put me here, so I cannot doubt Him!!

I like your mantra!!!! You just take it day by day and we will be here to tell you how awesome you are!!!

--------------
MISERY IS OPTIONAL
SMILES FOR MILES