Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Shoulder

Woodie
Woodie
United States
2004/05/09, 01:24 AM
My shoulders, exspecially my left hurt very bad when I try to do squats with a barbell behind my back. I can lift it back behind my head but when I try to hold it steady my shoulder feels like it's coming out of the socket. If I place my hands out past the wieghts at the end of the bar I can take it but if the bar sags to the left I have a hard time balancing it. What kind of exercises or anything else can I do that would help?

--------------
Woodie.
skinnyguy
skinnyguy
United States
2004/05/09, 08:59 PM
Your shoulder should have very little stress on it when you do squats. If you are not using a squat rack, then you must be lifting the weight onto your back. That is not a good idea, especially since squats are usually done with a lot of weight. Rotary cup exercises might help.
Woodie
Woodie
United States
2004/05/12, 10:23 AM
I must have been holding the bar to low on my back. Putting higher relieves the pain in my shoulders so that I can cause pain in my legs from the squats.

--------------
Woodie.
2004/05/12, 10:39 AM
Woodie said
"Putting higher relieves the pain in my shoulders so that I can cause pain in my legs from the squats."

You definitly have a good grasp on the lift Woodie!!! LOL

There is a lot written on the sight about squats. You may want to search fitbuddy {bottom of the page} and read up on squat and deadlift techniques. They are probably two of the most important lifts you can do. They can also hurt you if done incorrectly. Taking the time to learn to do them correctly will save you a lot of pain.

--------------
Foolish consistancies are the hobgoblins of small minds.

Charlie