Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Deadlift defined?

Relique
Relique
United States
2004/04/20, 06:13 PM
Ok, thanks to you all, freeweights have become my favorite exercise and you all have done nothing but blow me away with your knowlage, so here is another question:

What is the proper motion and form for a deadlift, I have never done one, and want to add it into my workout.

:dumbbell::angry::dumbbell:

--------------
Sean "TBAR" Johnson -USAF-
2004/04/20, 06:31 PM
Relique, This was posted by Rev8ball a while back. It's a good description of the deadlift. The Rev is a moderator but he has been under the weather for a while. We are all worried about him. I don't think he'll mjnd me using his post. At least I hope not. He might throw a truck at me.:big_smile:

"Here are some pointers: The deadlift is actually quite a simple exercise: Bend over and pick up something from the floor. But there is a method to the madness. This time, we start from the bottom. For a traditional lift, stand with your feet about shoulder width apart, with your shins touching the bar. Squat down and grasp the bar about 4-6 inches out from your footing; most people prefer the over/under positioning of the hands. Make sure that you keep your shins as close to 90 degrees to the floor as possible, thereby preventing you from leaning forward and adding stress to the lower back. Keeping your back straight/arched and tight, and your head always level, begin the big pull. It’s a little easier to understand the lift if you look at it this way: your upper body is pulling the weight off the floor, while your lower body is pushing your upper body to stand up. Focus on the correct firing order, like mentioned above, and the bar will move correctly. Always keep the bar as close to the body as possible (scraped up shins and thighs are part of heavy deadlifts). Also, upon the ascent, never let your butt rise first or above your shoulders. If you do this, you are basically turning this into a Good Morning lift, and putting waaaaaaaay too much strain on your lower back. Do not use your biceps to pull the weight; they are much smaller muscles that your back, etc., and you will easily tear them trying to turn this heavy lift into a curl. Finally, keep your abs tight, and never relax your chest and shoulder girdle. When you get to the top, there are three big no-nos that people who don’t know what they are doing always perform: do not lock out your knees; do not lean back once the lift is completed; and do not roll your shoulders back. All that these movements will do will be to knock you out of balance and place unnecessary stress (and possibly damage) smaller and more vulnerable muscle groups. Now, lower the weight in the reverse of what you just did, making sure to keep tight form and control, and not the letting the weight drop.

Hope that helps......

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!"

--------------
A problem ceases to be such when you can laugh about it.

Charlie
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/04/21, 12:06 AM
TY for the props, Charlie. And no, of course I don't mind you reposting something. Besides, I have my truck on the lift for now... :laugh:

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!

rev8ball@freetrainers.com
Relique
Relique
United States
2004/04/21, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the responce there, I was looking through previous posts and must have some how missed this one. Just to reiterate, I will start, feet shoulder width apart, lift with a straight back. Similar to the proper way to pick something up? this motion ends once you are erect right? You do not contiune to lift the weight over your head?

--------------
2004/04/21, 10:06 AM
That's correct, Relique. Don't lift your deadlift weight over your head. If you do, you are lifting too light or you are one scarey dude.. If you are using the an FT workout, you can click on the exercise and get a description as well as a photo of proper form on the lift. It ends when erect.

--------------
A problem ceases to be such when you can laugh about it.

Charlie
Relique
Relique
United States
2004/04/21, 02:04 PM
the deadlift was not on my FT workout, I was going to work on a plan that Gator had set up, and it had deadlift on it, wanted to make sure I did it properly ty for the help

--------------