Group: General Diet & Nutrition

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 399, Messages: 16719

With such a topic so broad we truly try to cover the basics from all angles in this group. Nothing too big or too small. Nutrition is as significant if not more as exercise is to reaching your goals so learn all you can.

Join group

Fibromyalgia and me

AmandaK
AmandaK
United States
2004/04/09, 10:39 AM
I have a syndrome called as you guessed it.. Fibromyalgia (fm), and the main symptom is to be extra tiered all the time. It gets really bad. last week I could barely get out of bed or out of a chair. I'm not depressed and i get plenty of sleep. There is no cure and i am sick to death of it. Does any one else out there have this? and how do you deal? My Dr. says exercise is the best way to cope, but if ican't even get up how am i sopossed to do that? Right now i'm on a 5 day work out schedual and i'm doing good, my diet is high protien low fat. I have to eat low carb because of the fm, carbs make it worse.Any type of multi vitimin makes me dizzy and i drink atleast a gallon+ water a day. Please help I'm going nuts!!!
~Amanda
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2004/04/09, 02:09 PM
Hey Amanda - my mom and my sister both have fibro.

Exercise is realy the best way to deal with it, you will have more energy some days than others, but stick with it, make sure you build up your time and intensity gradually.

The more sugar and processed foods you cut out, the better you will feel. eat small meals every three hours with lean protein, fruits or vegetables and oats or rice.

There are a lot of really good books on coping with FMS, go to your local library and look some up.

Good luck!

--------------
If you fall down seven times, get up eight.
j20a00g
j20a00g
United States
2004/04/09, 09:53 PM
amandak, my mom had fibromyalgia but it was being caused by an overactive (and extra) thyroid gland producing too much hormones. it was so rare that they flew her to NIH (national institute of health) in DC to do studies.....well, they removed the extra thyroid and then she was producing too little hormones so they literally (i swear on everything) cut off some of her old gland that they kept and injected it into her skin and all is well....she too was having the symptoms before hand, she couldn't even do exercising either to cope with it. just a little story for u....best of luck!
AmandaK
AmandaK
United States
2004/04/11, 08:36 PM
hey thanks guys, The past couple of days have been a little better. j20 i hope ur mom us allright that sounds so terrible.
blackie062
blackie062
United States
2004/09/03, 08:29 AM
hi amanda, im new here and have f.m as well, have had if for years. I am just starting a diet, and have lost 6 pounds so far. its hard to exercise, i was told the same thing as well, if you dont exercise you wont lose weight, and so you stay in pain, its a circle. ive been told to work through the pain, once you do it will get better, easier said then done. but with support, maybe we can... peace...d.
Woodie
Woodie
United States
2004/09/03, 11:40 AM
My wife suffers from FM also and exercize does help.

--------------
I will get to it as soon as I am done lifting.
artschool-girl
artschool-girl
United States
2004/09/12, 02:34 PM
FM is a different for every sufferer. I was in bed for four years, been well for nearly nine. My biggest tip would be to keep a journal. Sometimes an increse of energy and health can be slow in coming, but when I'd read old entries in my journal, I'd realize that I was indeed kicking some ass!
coffeelover2000
coffeelover2000
United States
2006/09/22, 02:47 PM
I am new here! I also have FM very bad. I know exercise helps but I'm looking for some intense stretching to help releive the pain while I'm sitting or standing!
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2006/09/23, 09:33 AM
Have you checked out any books on dealing/living with fibromyalgia? They would have specific suggestions.

A good beginner stretching book is 'Stretching" by Bob Anderson (I hope I have that right).

You could also try renting a gentle yoga dvd or video from the library or rental store. My Mom does yoga every morning and it has really helped alleviate a lot of her muscle pain. She also trains with me a few times a week, when her FM hasn't flared up, and that make her feel really good, too.

I used to have a good stretching video by Molly Fox - try doing a google search for Stretching routines and see what you can find, I think it is easier to see what you are trying to do than to have someone describe it.

Good luck and keep us updated!

--------------

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
- Aristotle
ldomitrz1
ldomitrz1
United States
2007/01/03, 12:07 PM
Hi everyone. I also have fibromyalgia. I am in the same boat. I am great about starting programs, and then when I do not see any results after usually, three to four weeks. I end up guving up. I also am tired all the time. I am on pyschatropic drugs as well, which have made me gain over 25lbs. Any suggestions are very much appreciated. (I hate to say it - but I am also addicted to sweets, I crave them all the time.) And, I do not eat very much of anything. My appetite is awful. I eat a bowl of Cheerios in the morning, then I do not eat till dinner, and even then, I can hardly eat half of my food.
Please help.:(
Laura
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/01/03, 07:51 PM
Hi Laura - recent tsudies have shown that exercising in a heated pool 3-4 times a week will greatly improve your fibro. So will a clean diet of healthy nurtitious foods.
Just keep getting back to it after your down times, it is important that you don't give up completely. Also check into some of the books at your loacl library on fibro, they have a lot of good information that can help ease your symptoms.

Welcome to freetrainers!

--------------

Until you value yourself you will not value your time. Until you value your time, you will not do anything with it.
M. Scott Peck
Piscesshell
Piscesshell
United States
2007/04/27, 01:19 AM
I have fibro too. I want to know if anyone has any good exercises that are compatible with fibro?
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/04/27, 08:31 AM
Hi piscesshell - a light lifting routine is fine for fibro - you have to play it by ear as far as which days you can do more and which days you should rest. Start with a beginner's program from this site - go to "exercise Program' at the top of the screen and fill out the questionnaire - it will generate a plan for you.

I have my mother doing lifting and cardio - she lifts once or twice a week (due to time constraints, not fibro) and rides a recimbent bike nearly every day - exercise has made a big difference in her energy levels and pain management.

--------------

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles, discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things distinguishes the strong soul from the weak.
Thomas Carlyle

asimmer
asimmer
United States
2007/07/27, 11:20 AM
bump
sharkbait819
sharkbait819
United States
2007/07/28, 11:36 AM
Hey all,
I have had fm for six years now. When I first got it I was in a wheel chair for six months and told that I could never play sports again or even take a nice walk. Being 13 that did not sit well. I started swimming. It was very low impact for me and the warm water made me feel great. I would recommend starting in a pool. It is a great way to build your muscles up without the pain and impact of a regular work out. I am now able to cycle, weight lift, and play sports. I have lost 45 pounds doing this and I will admit sone days are harder then others, but I find myself looking forward to being in the water. Hope this helps some,
Sharkbait819
alaina3410
alaina3410
United States
2008/10/30, 07:04 PM
Hi, I have fibromyalgia I have been living with it for 7 awful years. I have gained alot of weight from meds,stress, ect. I'm looking for a diet/exercise plan that is afordable and realistic. I have tried so many different exercises that leave me in pain and bed for days. I don't have access to a heated pool or a gym. Can anyone help? Open to all suggestions.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2008/10/31, 12:56 PM
Start with a gentle routne like yoga for dummies for beginners - you can find it at best buy, or p[ossibly at your library.

Buy yourself some light dbs and begin a very light lifting routine. There are at home plans here as well that require no equipment, you will be the best judge of how much you can do on any given day and how your body reacts.

--------------

A man of sense is never discouraged by difficulties; he redoubles his industry and his diligence, he perseveres and infallibly prevails at last.

Lord Chesterfield