Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Yet Another Jumping Question

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/04/04, 05:14 PM
I know there have been a lot of posts on how to improve your vertical and such, butI was curious if any of you know any excercises that help one footed takeoffs? I know I need to be able to jump off one or both but I have found that most exercises (though they would help the one footed takeoff as well), seem to be focused on two footed takeoffs. Any advice?

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/04/04, 05:48 PM
Try step-ups. Drive your free leg to the sky when you step up onto the knee high box. Perform 5 per leg with a moderate to hard weight. Perform single leg plantar flexion for the calves. Try cyclic split squat jumps and single leg tuck jumps. Jump rope on one leg. Alternate every 5 jumps.
Relique
Relique
United States
2004/04/05, 01:08 PM
yep, those are the jump exercises I used when I was playing B-ball in highschool, also, if your not seeing results quite as much, put on a weight vest, not ankle weights, they dont help as much, but a vest will and do your workout.

--------------
Sean "TBAR" Johnson -USAF-
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/04/05, 07:13 PM
Thanks, I was thinking about buying a weight belt by JumpUsa. They've got some pretty good jump training stuff. Gator, what is single leg plantar flexion? Kind of a calf raise?

--------------
I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious.
--Vince Lombardi
"Decide what you want, decide what you are willing to exchange for it. Establish your priorities and go to work." H. L. Hunt

arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/04/07, 08:44 PM
Is single leg plantar flexion just calf raises? That's all I can find online.

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

arnold789
arnold789
United States
2004/04/08, 07:42 PM
generally speaking training 2 ft plyos will improve your 1 leggers but heres a good one: stand on a chair less than 2' high and drop to a 1-leg take off sprint. really you can do almost any jump drill with 1 leg, but don't neglect the 2 leg drills. another is doing 1 leg dunks taking off from a small 8" block! really good site to chek out for jump improvement is www.bionicplyometrics.com
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/04/08, 08:54 PM
cool, thanks everyone

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/04/09, 06:52 AM
www.bionicplyometrics.com doesn't tell you anything. You have to buy the plan. Baller, the path to a higher vert is simple.
1. Squat with 55-85 % of your 1RM.
2. Perform Olympic variations in your training plan.
3. Perfrom 1 legged strength exercises.
4. Superset heavy squats with box jumps.
5. Perform proper jump technique off of 1 and 2 legs.
6. Work your trunk hard.
7. Keep excess body fat off of your body.
8. Train for strength and power not mass
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/04/11, 10:43 PM
Thanks man, if you only knew how much you help me and I could probably speak for all of us in the powerlifting forum. You help a lot!!:dumbbell:

--------------
--Vince Lombardi

ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/04/12, 10:33 AM
Arondballer,

Yes, plantar flexion is the ankle motion which occurs during the 'up' phase of a calf raise (calf muscles contracting concentrically, ie. muscle is shortening).

Dorsi flexion of the ankle is what occurs on the 'down' phase of a calf raise (when youre calf muscles are eccentrically contracting - ie. muscle is lengthening while still producing tension).

Developing calf muscle & tendon strength both concentrically and eccentrically (as one would during normal calf raises) is important for jumping.
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/04/12, 04:19 PM
Thanks

--------------
--Vince Lombardi