Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Best Football Workout

zulegs2nyce
zulegs2nyce
United States
2004/04/03, 10:58 AM
I have seen people asking about good football workouts and i just wanted to throw in some input. Throughtout high school i was on this program called Bigger Faster Stronger. I did it because i didnt feel that the coaches plan was very good. This is by far one of the best programs i have ever seen. I am not trying to sell anything but i feel that if you need a good football workout this is it. www.bfs.com
GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/04/03, 11:14 AM
It is a great work out program, i am still in highschool but my senior football season is over and for the first 2-3 years we used this program. OUTSTANDING!
jsom85
jsom85
United States
2004/04/04, 05:41 PM
i went to the site to look at it and it didn't pop up...the http://www.bfs.com/ kinda odd

--------------
Get your weight up, kid
zulegs2nyce
zulegs2nyce
United States
2004/04/10, 09:19 AM
Jsom, try biggerfasterstronger.com they may have changed it
jsom85
jsom85
United States
2004/04/10, 12:50 PM
gotcha...thanks

--------------
Get your weight up, kid
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/04/11, 10:50 AM
This one might help you out also...it is very good.

This plan was taken directly from the book Getting Stronger by Bill Pearl.

Football Training Plan

This particular program will make the athlete stronger, and will increase the strength of the entire body. The emphasis is on major muscle groups: shoulder girdle, back, hips and legs. Still no body parts are neglected. As you use major exercises you incorporate others that are not being directly targeted.

Each position will have different requirements, for the most part to gain strength this will work for almost anyone. The program will focus on the big three: power clean, squat and bench press. The only time these exercises are not used is if a athlete has been injured and is rehabilitating or if a player has a obvious weakness in a particular body part.

A full 15 minute session of stretching before and after weight training is required. When stretching, pay close attention to hamstrings and shoulders.

3 days of cardiovascular exercise is also helpful and will improve performance considerably.
Day 1 – 20 minute High Intensity Cardio Session (as hard as you can)
Day 2 – 30 minute moderate jog / run
Day 3 – 45 minute low intensity aerobic session
(The days that you perform the cardiovascular training is not important – By the end of the week all 3 days must be complete)

Goal of Training Plan: To strengthen all the major muscle groups and to develop muscle balance

Your program will have a heavy and a light day. The heavy day is the weight performed at the maximum for the total number of reps used. Your reps should be explosive but still controlled. On your light days you want to use about 70% of the weight listed for the heavy day with the designated number of reps. This is not a ego day, the weight will seem light, you must focus on your form and the speed and tempo of the reps is much slower.

When either warming up or cooling down add about 100 – 200 reps of upper and lower abdominal work, this will help lower the risk of injury. Also add a superset of leg curls and leg extensions. These are performed one right after the other for about 3 sets of 12 – 15 reps each. This will help prevent injury to the knee.

Off – season Training Program #1 (Followed until mid spring)
Monday (Heavy Day)
Power Cleans 5 sets x 5 reps
Bench Press 5 sets x 5 reps
Squats 5 sets x 5 reps

The heavy days sets the pace for the week. The rest of the week is based on the accomplishments of the heavy day. Try to increase the power clean and bench by 5 lbs and the squat by 10 lbs each week. Do not increase the poundages unless you have successfully completed the prescribed number of reps the previous week.

You can add 2 – 3 assisted exercises if you choose for the heavy days.

Wednesday (Light Day)
Squats 5 sets x 5 reps

Use 70% of the weight that you used on the Heavy Day

Friday (Medium Day)
Squats 5 sets x 5 reps

Use 85% of the weight that you used on the Heavy Day

Off – Season Training Plan #2 (follow until 1 week before practice begins)
Use the days before football starts for mental preparation, agility drills and sharpening of your running stride.

Each set you should progressively use heavier weights, once you get all of the reps listed by adding weight each set increase the final set by 5% your next workout.

Monday (Heavy Day)
Power Cleans 6 sets x 5-5-5-3-3-3
Bench Press 9 sets x 5-5-5-2-2-2-5-5-5
Squats 6 sets x 5-5-5-5-5-5
Incline Curls 2 sets x 20-20

Tuesday (Light Day) use 70% of weight of heavy day
Power Cleans 5 sets x 5-5-5-5-5
Standing Front Military 6 sets x 5-5-5-5-5-5
Dips (last 3 sets weighted) 6 sets x 5-5-5-3-3-3
Calf Raises 3 sets x 30-30-30

Wednesday (Light Day) use 70% of weight of heavy day
Squats 5 sets x 5-5-5-5-5
Good Mornings 4 sets x 8-8-8-8
Incline Curls 5 sets x 5-5-5-5-5
Tricep Pushdowns 2 sets x 20-20

Friday (Medium Day) use 85% of weight of heavy day
Squats 6 sets x 5-5-5-3-3-3
Barbell Shrugs 5 sets x 5-5-5-5-5
Bench Press 5 sets x 8-8-8-8-8
Close Grip Benches 2 sets x 8-8

In – Season Football Program
During two-a-days, lay off all weight work. Focus all your mental and physical energies on football, and football alone. As soon as normal practice begins, return to the weight room so that you can retain the strength you developed during the off-season.

Continue to super set leg curls with leg extensions, do abdominals and stretch every weight training session

Start light and increase your poundages each set

Rotate weeks, after you finish week #3 go back to week #1

Week One
Monday: Power Cleans 3 sets x 5-5-5
Tuesday: Squats 3 sets x 5-5-5
Wednesday: Bench Press 3 sets x 5-5-5
Thursday: Power Cleans 3 setx x 5-5-5
Friday: Stretching, mental preparation for game

Week Two
Monday: Squats 4 sets x 5-5-5-5
Tuesday: Bench Press 3 sets x 5-5-5
Power Cleans 3 sets x 5-5-5
Wednesday: Squats 5 sets x 5-5-5-5-5
Thursday: Bench Press 3 sets x 5-5-5
Power Cleans 3 sets x 5-5-5

Week Three
Monday: Squats 5 sets x 5-5-5-5-5
Bench Press 4 sets x 5-5-5-5
Tuesday: Power Cleans 4 sets x 5-5-5-5
Upright Rows 3 sets x 5-5-5
Wednesday: Squats 5 sets x 5-5-5-5-5
Incline Curls 4 sets x 5-5-5-5
Thursday: Barbell Shrugs 4 sets x 5-5-5-5
Standing Front Press 4 sets x 5-5-5-5

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/04/14, 08:09 AM
This is not football specific:
Day 1 – 20 minute High Intensity Cardio Session (as hard as you can)
Day 2 – 30 minute moderate jog / run
Day 3 – 45 minute low intensity aerobic session

Do things related to football all year round. Just rotate intensity. The average play in football last 5 seconds. The average rest is about 35 seconds. Peform sprints, agilities, quickness, and reaction drills. Perform anaerobic workouts in the pull for low impact days. Cardio is a football players friend.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/04/14, 08:15 AM
What is the benefit of performing power cleans two days in a row. Also, why not perform exercises that will build the power clean so athletes are not getting broken down by power cleaning all the time. Olympic lifts are great for developing athletes but they will tear you down. Perform, clean shrugs, high pulls, deadlifts, front squats, overhead squats. Cleans of blocks that allow the bar to start just above or just below the knees. The best football conditioning book on the market (I didn't say best in college football) is Complete Conditioning for Football by Arthur and Bailey. That is the Husker football plan when they dominated.