Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Deadlift Question

snoopy13
snoopy13
Canada
2004/03/23, 02:10 PM
I was just curious about when you do super heavy deadlifts if it thicken's out your waist? Someone at the gym told me this so now I wanna stop doing them cause I don't want my waist to get any bigger.
dahayz
dahayz
United States
2004/03/23, 02:31 PM
Tell that person in your gym to loosen there sweat band, because that is a load of crap. Genetics will determine if your obliques will grow at all, and if that's the case, then just work on building some nice wide shoulders and a big, wide back. DON'T STOP DEADLIFTING for that reason!
mmaibohm
mmaibohm
United States
2004/03/23, 04:14 PM
The only explanation for that might be that while body builders have a tendency to contract their waist, Powerlifters will push their abdominal muscles out against their belt while lifting. I am not 100% shure on that one. I am shure rev8ball or gatormade can better answer this one.

--------------
I am that
which must be feared, worshipped and adored. The world is mine
now and forever.No one holds command over me. No man. No god. I am a beast and that is enough.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/23, 05:59 PM
Look at a healthy Oak tree. Does it have a small or big trunk? If you want to pull or squat heavy then you will develop a thick trunk. Look at ALL good powerlifters. Thickness is not a bad thing. It is athletic. And I'll take that over the runway model look any day of the week!:angry:
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/03/23, 09:04 PM
Right on Gator! The reasaon why BB do not like the deadlift is that it can increase your overall waist line , but if you bf is lower it will not be that noticable!:big_smile:

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/03/23, 11:53 PM

============
Quoting from gatormade:

Look at a healthy Oak tree. Does it have a small or big trunk? If you want to pull or squat heavy then you will develop a thick trunk. Look at ALL good powerlifters. Thickness is not a bad thing. It is athletic. And I'll take that over the runway model look any day of the week!:angry:
=============

WHAT!!! You mean even over the Zoolander look??? (This is 'Magnum', this is 'Cold Steel'...) ROTFLMAO

Seriously though, this is a Strength Training and Powerlifting forum not a 'let's stand in front of a mirror and look at myself forum'.
ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/03/24, 12:27 AM
Edit: That may not have come across the way it should have (I just kind of blurted that out, certainly don't mean to offend anyone).

What I'm trying to say is if you keep your training focused on athletic performance, the aesthetic aspect will take care of itself just fine. Look at elite olymipic weighltifters and powerlifters that compete in capped bodyweight categories. These athletes do not have a single ounce of wasted bodyweight. In other words they're 'ripped'.

Not only do they look strong, far more importantly, they ARE strong, fast & therefore powerful (strength x speed = power).