Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

GENETICS DON'T SEEM TO BE WORKING

GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/03/23, 01:17 AM
Howdy, In some areas my genetics seem to be outstanding, in athletics and weightlifting, but 3 exercises of lifting which kill me are the bench press, military and other shoulder presses, and dips on paralell bars. For awhile now i just haven't been able to get my bench up past 200lbs. and I weigh 216, I know i have strong triceps and fore arms. According to my dad, when he was my age he could bench twice his body weight , i know he's not lying or joking, I try and eat and hydrate myself correctly. What can i do or should do??? I doubt it's a mental block i have , I don't know maybe it is?????
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/03/23, 10:08 AM
It's probably your training plan. I would need to look at it to make adjustments.
GOWAR
GOWAR
United States
2004/03/24, 12:36 AM
I have kind of been doing my own thing, not the team thing. I have been doing 3x3 almost always, 4x3 and now and then 5-4-3-2-1 sets, usually with the 3x3 i warm up with 135 and then 165,175,185,195,200x1, on a good day, but then I'll have days where i can't hit 175 3 times, only like twice, it's really bad workout I'm doing, I think i am either going to do the team workout, the FT 12 week plan , or i was hoping to try your speed bench plan. When i do bench press, i usually also do hook ems' which are like skull crushers, spotted pull-ups , wrist curls, dumb bell press, dumb bell flys, bicep curls with a bar, bicep curls with dumb bells, preacher curls, hammer and incline curls, back workout ex. lat pull down, T-bar rows, rows. Shoulder presses with a bar. Also when i do bench i do not usually fade it back or arch my back when i am lifting , i use to , but now that i have mostly been working out by myself i haven't.
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/03/24, 08:02 AM
Holy crap! You do all those other exercises on the saem day? "hook ems' which are like skull crushers, spotted pull-ups , wrist curls, dumb bell press, dumb bell flys, bicep curls with a bar, bicep curls with dumb bells, preacher curls, hammer and incline curls, back workout ex. lat pull down, T-bar rows, rows. Shoulder presses with a bar"....you really do all fo these? Right there sends a huge falg up for me....you need to train chest with chest not with the whole body on the same day....

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!

7707mutt@freetrainers.com
assante74
assante74
United States
2004/03/24, 12:44 PM
I have the same problem. My chest area is hurting bad. Usually people are broken down into two categories....the pusher and the pullers. For example, my back is phenomenal, but my chest is lacking. Basically what I'm saying is that genetics help people in some. Obviously you are not a pusher. This means that you have to take more time in those pushing type exercises. Like bench presses, dips, and etc. Good luck