Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

Lack of Hunger

Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/03/12, 06:04 PM
I have noticed that over the last few months I only get hungry <Really Hungry not the munchies> about once a day, usually in the early afternoon. Most days I force myself to eat breakfast because everyone says it's the most important meal of the day, but then afterwards I get a bloated/depressed feeling and want to go run/workout to make up for the calorie intake. Just the idea of eating 6 times a day is overwhelming to me. Any suggestions on how to reprogram how I think about food and being healthy?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2004/03/13, 09:28 AM
What are your eating habits now? Can you post a sample days diet? My suspicion is in your attempt to lose 95lbs.(your profile), you may have cut calories too much at an unhealthy rate and now your metabolism has slowed to a crawl due to lack of outside source of fuel, and you need to teach your body to fuel itself again. It probably goes against what you would think is right, more is better, not less in this case. It is all about the quality of the food you eat in more quantity to get your metabolism revving again. Both exercise and diet fuel stoke your metabolism. But, both are needed. I you are just exercising hard but not feeding your body, metabolism will slow in order to preserve life. It "saves" its fat stores in response.

--------------
If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything....

bb1fit@freetrainers.com
Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/03/13, 05:43 PM
Typical day I wake up have 2 or 3 cups of coffee and a breakfast burrito, then for lunch I'll have some toast or a salad, Dinner is Chicken or Pork baked with green beans or corn and maybe some dinner rolls if my hubby has me make them. I drink alot of Crystal Light/Iced Tea/Water during the day as well. I do try to eat at least 3 times a day but I'm not usually hungry for anything, I just eat cause I'm supposed to.
konary
konary
Canada
2004/03/14, 11:42 AM
Hi, Kyrah. I am not an expert at this but I think this idea might help you to eat more often. If you are afraid to eat more because you feel you are already eating enough, try saving 1/3 of your main meals for later. Just prepare your meal (breakfast, lunch, dinner) as you usually do, then take 1/3 of everything on your plate onto another plate. Then, eat them at a half way point between meals. You are not eating any more but eating more often this way.
I don't know how much your daily intake of calories are. Try to track how much you eat for a few days using nutritional tracker on this site. It all depends on your age, height, weight, gender and activity level, but it shouldn't be below 1500cal for most women your age.
neiltilley
neiltilley
United Kingdom
2004/03/15, 07:08 AM
Eat tasty foods that are good for you like apples or plums, call two plums a whole meal. Tell yourself daily, six meals for health and wellbeing is 'normal' (and it is)both for muscle gain and fat loss. It's true science, believe it! Write it down every morning , then read it everytime you eat, write it daily till you believe it.

Konary has got a great idea, try it but like sha says 1500 calories eh!
Under 1200 calories and your body muscles will eat itself to make fat stores to preserve it's life.. It's fairly simple really- the less you eat the more self destructive it can be rather than killing fat, it kills you
Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/03/15, 11:25 PM
Konary Ty for the idea, that does sound like it might work for me. I know that eating too little is counter productive but I'm having a hard time making it actually click after alot of years of "yo-yo" dieting. Will let you know how it works!!:)
konary
konary
Canada
2004/03/15, 11:40 PM
Glad to help :) As far as bad eating habit goes I was pretty bad before.
Also try to have a good portion of protein in every meal specially lunch in your case. Toast or salad doesn't sound enough. Cottage cheese and tuna are the easiest to add (I found), but whatever you fancy is fine.
Good luck with your plan. :dumbbell:
Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/03/18, 03:27 PM
Aside from eggs and shakes what is a good way to get protien in the morning meal? I can only eat them so many days in a row before I need a break.
konary
konary
Canada
2004/03/18, 09:07 PM
Cottage Cheese. But many people don't seem to like them. For me, however, I can't get enough of them. :)
If you are up to it you can have beans, tuna, shrimp or chicken in that breakfast burrito. But again some people have harder time digesting in the morning.

Try to spice up your eggs too. Add some veggies or sprinkle some light cheese on them before you eat them. For me, I put some slices of pickled hot peppers in for taste.:big_smile:

No one said living healthy was easy. If it were everyone would be healthy. :laugh: I can't believe how much time, money and energy went in to my diet.
made_line28
made_line28
United States
2004/03/19, 04:22 PM
I am underweight, any suggestions on how to gain weight fast
Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/03/19, 04:24 PM
What is your diet like right now hun?
Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/03/19, 04:25 PM
Oh, it would help if you filled out your profile too!

--------------
Love me as I am . . .
Let me worry about how I look!
Relique
Relique
United States
2004/03/19, 06:45 PM
you can do it pookie!

--------------
Sean \"TBAR\" Johnson -USAF-
Kyrah
Kyrah
United States
2004/03/19, 06:48 PM
That Pookie is me /sigh :love:

--------------
Love me as I am . . .
Let me worry about how I look!
pm_perry
pm_perry
United States
2004/07/18, 03:42 PM
I'm dealing with the same thing: Lack of hunger. That's how I found this site, just did a google search on that. It's not so much of a problem as an oddity and I thought I'd do some research on it. I jog for about an hour, do yoga everyday. I've always been thin. Eat very little. If I eat a lot, I don't feel as good. Usually eat steamed veggies, tofu -- one meal, that's all. Don't eat a lot of carbs. Have a bowl of cereal with rice milk for breakfast, a cup of coffee sometimes. I don't know. I'm not forcing myself to eat "because I'm supposed to" and it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I think my metabolism is just really efficient. I don't spend much on groceries. I feel it's a bit freakish and I realize it's highly unusual. The google search didn't turn up much. I'll try "lack of appetite" next...
:love: phil