Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

lifeguard certification

wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/02/29, 02:33 PM
I'm going for my lifeguard certification in 4 weeks, and i was wondering if anyone out there has done it already. I basicly just want to know what they do for the test and training, and if you have any tips.

ive heard that they make you stay with your head above water with your arms above water for 5 minutes, and was wondering if they really do that, because im a really good swimmer, but im kinda nostalgic about that because i sink REALLY quickly. i dont kno why, i think its cuz im so skinny, but i kno other skinny people that have very little fat and they dont sink as fast.
any help would be appreciated

--------------
"I get up in the morning around six to run for about an hour. Later in the day, I lift with a partner. Following my lifting sessions, I usually do speed and agility drills. Later, I drill all my holds and moves."

'Isnt that lifestyle boring?'

"Yes, but the gold medal is very shiny."
Ichiguchi
Olympic Gold Medalist
2004/02/29, 03:14 PM
Wrestler, I have always been a powerful swimmer. I can tell you that how you kick while floating makes a big difference. Most people use a kind of flutter or sisscer kick in this situation. This causes you to have to move your legs quickly and you tire more quickly. If you use a kind of frog kick you can stay there all day and even hold somthing in your hands above your head.

Also practice your side stroke as thats the one you use to pull somebody through the water. It also is the less fatiguing. Hope this helps.

--------------
Some times life is like herding cats.

Charlie
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/02/29, 05:43 PM
what do you mean by a "frog kick"? like bring my legs up and then kick down?
2004/02/29, 06:59 PM
You kind of spread them wide and clamp them together. Its hard to explain. Imagine how a frog kicks when he swims kind of bow legged. Also when you do it you do it slowly and kind of easily. It conserves strength.

--------------
Some times life is like herding cats.

Charlie
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/03/01, 09:18 PM
aight, thanks charlie. ill try that the next time i go to the gym and jump in the pool. thanks for the tip.

--------------
"I get up in the morning around six to run for about an hour. Later in the day, I lift with a partner. Following my lifting sessions, I usually do speed and agility drills. Later, I drill all my holds and moves."

Ichiguchi
Olympic Gold Medalist
jonnnyko
jonnnyko
United States
2004/03/02, 05:35 PM
I've been i swimmer all my life and been a certified lifeguard since i was about 14, what type of questions do you have about it?

--------------
Jonathan
*** Nothing Is Real but Pain Now ***
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/03/02, 08:18 PM
what do they do for the pre-test and the certification training and test? like how much do you have to swim/do?

--------------

Ichiguchi
Olympic Gold Medalist
jonnnyko
jonnnyko
United States
2004/03/03, 02:07 PM
okay so theres a bunch of different aspects of it, hardest part i thought was the treading water for 10min with no hands. not sure if this is done everywhere but we had to tread water for 10min while keeping our hands and elbows above the water. you'll roughly have to swim about 20 laps which is 40 lenght, sometimes they'll have to do different stokes but not always. they'll have you do different rescuse simulations with different types of drowning victims and you have to know how to jump in, approach them, get them and then bring them back. after that show the different life saving procedures to use in different situations. over all its really not that bad just have to build up your endurance swimming wise and you'll do fine. most places require you to take a cpr/first aid/aed and life guarding course if you do those they'll teach you how to do all that stuff and its pretty easy, once you get it down its all about practice...not sure if i answered your questions let me know if you have any others, or if you need any other info about that stuff. good luck

--------------
Jonathan
*** Nothing Is Real but Pain Now ***
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/03/05, 07:26 PM
thanks jonathan. That pretty much sums up what I wanted to know. Thanks for the help.

--------------

Ichiguchi
Olympic Gold Medalist
Soldierbone
Soldierbone
United States
2004/04/21, 12:30 PM
I am a lifeguard instructor in training...

Work on your freestyle (front crawl) and breast strokes. You will have to swim 500 meters with these two strokes.

Treading water without your hands, between 5-10 minutes. Everything else will be taught to you with a practice session before your test.

Where are you taking your class

Be confident, but not cocky, and you will suceed
Christina
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/05/09, 06:17 PM
thanks alot christina, but i read your post a little to late.
i already took the class, and i.....
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
passed
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
passed

--------------

Ichiguchi
Olympic Gold Medalist
wrestler125
wrestler125
United States
2004/05/09, 06:18 PM
sorry bout the double post, i only clicked POST once
at least i think i did