Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

? about my max bench plz!! thanks

jimsmith6
jimsmith6
United States
2004/02/23, 04:00 PM
i am 16 year old male. I started workingout on februrary 1st and today it is fevruary 22nd and my maximum bench on feb. 2 was 105 lbs. And today on februray 22nd it 120 lbs. Every wweek i put on five more pounds to see if i could do it and i could i have been doin that for the last 3 weeks and i hyave gained 15 pounds on my max bench. My question is " is the increase in bench going up so high in such a short time period because i just started or will the increases in weight on my bench keep comin progressivly or do u think it will start to slow down? I was very shocked when all of this happened because i have never been able to do this much before.

This is my workout when i bench
70x12
80x10
90x8
100x6
110x4
120x2

i workout my chest every monday,wednesday, and friday also on monday,wednesday, and friday i do 100 push ups. Do you think push-ups have anything to do with my mazimum bench because whenever i workedout before februrary i never did push ups. Sorry this such a long post but anyone that could give me sum of their own personal advice about what i have wrote would be greatly appreiceated thank you everyone...!!!!!

thank you
-jimmy S.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2004/02/23, 04:11 PM
Jimmy, good gains on your bench. You will (at some point) hit a plateau. But keep it up until you get stuck.

The pushups do help since they help build your triceps. Vary the distance of your hands so that you can put more emphasis on your pecs and chest as well.

Good luck and keep it up!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
7707mutt
7707mutt
United States
2004/02/23, 04:12 PM
First of all that is a great increase. Second pot the rest of your workout...what you do for the rest of your body. right now at your age doing chest like you are you will see gains for a while. But doing chest 3 times a week will, over time actuall stop any gains from happening. Also what are your goals? If a strong bench is one that is great but you will find that most here do not base their overall strength on bench. A strong bench comes from many other factors...lenght you have been training, shoulder and tricep strength. A good over all total body plan working out each part once a week (abs and calfes can stand 2-3 times a week), with a good level of intensity will be better. It is a case of quality over quantiy. So post what else you do for you wrokouts, also what you eat etc. ANd fill out your profile with what your goals are! :big_smile:

--------------
LIFT HEAVY! BECOME STRONG, LIKE BULL!
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/02/24, 05:24 PM
You realy need to do more than bench press, like mutt said. At your yomg age you ned to do everything or your body will grow out of portion and could cause problems later in life. Bench press is not just chest, its tris, front delts, traps, and lats all play a role in a good bench press. Doing it 3 times a week is not good, Its only getting at most one day rest, Your not acomplishing anything by breaking down and breaking down your chest muscles .
Imagine your muscles as a brick wall, after you work out part of that wall breaks away and its not as thick or strong anymore. After a week or so of rest, that wall is back to normal but more bricks has been added to it. Therefore the more rest you get more bricks you get added the wall( muscle gets bigger)
Now say you don't rest, that wall keeps getting smaller and smalller and smaller, and eventually it will break down so much, it can fix, or repair its self, and it won't grow.
hope this made sense lol

--------------
.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
......minds are not vessles to be filled, but fires to be enlightened
......Confucious once said ,DO NOT play leap frog with a unicorn