Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

question...... part deux

goodoldtex
goodoldtex
United States
2004/02/17, 02:12 PM
Alright, so if powerlifting is more about the efficient body types like what most sports use...what is a good workout to build on that? I do not think we have a powerlifting team at my college...nor do i think if we did have one i prolly wouldnt be too stoked about joining it because im soo d@mned skinny and weak. Like on the FT site my goals are to get slightly larger. I dont wanna be huge, hell id love barely above average. But the fact is i want to be really wirey and strong for my size (which im workin on as well) would i do like general progression training, mass, what? Or should i modify my workouts and just make my own? all opinions welcome...thx
goodoldtex
goodoldtex
United States
2004/02/17, 02:21 PM
should i consider and/or start the 12 wk special mass and strength program to add to both of my desires first then work on powerlifting once ive busted my arse in the other first?
rev8ball
rev8ball
United States
2004/02/17, 02:46 PM
The program here at FTs is a great place to start, but a beginner's PL program is a step beyond. If you have never done powerlifting type training before, you don't want to just jump into one. As we have stated in a few other posts, start with something like a 3-day per week program, based on the 3 lifts and some auxillary exercises, something like squats on Monday, bench on Wednesday, deadlifts on Friday. There have been some great programs posted under this thread, so take a look, and let us know if you have any other questions.
Good luck...

--------------
Michael

Trample the weak; hurdle the dead!
Chaos, Panic, Disorder.... Yes, my work here is done!
goodoldtex
goodoldtex
United States
2004/02/17, 04:20 PM
aight, thx rev. Im def gonna look into this a great deal
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2004/02/17, 05:43 PM
Great advice Rev. One thing about beginners is that you can do almost anything and get stronger. The longer you train, the more you have to specialize and change the routine quicker. 5-7 years ago I could change my routine every 6 weeks and get good results. 3-5 years ago it was every 3-4 weeks. Now it is every 1-3 weeks. I have been training 17 years and I use very specialize techniques. Techniques a beginner shouldn't even think of touching for 2-3 years. I talk alot about building a lift. Beginners should really train the lift. Bench, squat, and deadlift using the full range of motion. Train the abs and low back as much as you train the other lifts too. Build a strong base before specializing. Good luck :)
goodoldtex
goodoldtex
United States
2004/02/17, 06:41 PM
what is an example workout that would be best gator? you seem to know Damn well what you're doing