Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

exercise after ankle sprain

verygoldfish
verygoldfish
United States
2004/02/03, 09:29 AM
Hi everybody,

I need help!!!

Here is my situation: On January 1 (way to start a New Year! :((( I had a type 2 ankle sprain. It was really swollen for the first several days (don't ask me why - but for some reason the people I was with told me to put heat to it and I didn't know any better...) so this didn't help either. I started icing it the night of the next day. I've been bandaging it with elastic bandage and several days later bought a stabilizing brace (according to the advice of my doctor)

It's almost been 5 weeks and the ankle is still very sensitive. I can rotate the foot to the left, to the right, and flex it - but when it comes to pointing the toe - VERY difficult, active pain. As a result, I haven't worked out for the same amount of time and I feel disgusted, the flab is coming back - and my long awaited vacation to Mexico is coming up in less than 2 months. I need to do SOMETHING!!!

What would you suggest for getting back into exercising for purposes of fat loss and general toning considering my ankle injury? I have done upper body weight trainng (using "The Firm" tapes) and starting this week, I would like to start weight training upper body at the gym 3 times a week. But what can I do for cardio, especially if there is still little swelling and pain to move my foot down? Any ideas of smart ways to do this?? I would be grateful!!
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/02/10, 08:16 PM
BREAK IT FREAKING DOWN!
heh, i'm serious... everytime i hurt my lower body (ankles usually), i just focus on my style rather than my power moves... my feet gradually get healthy again, and i also get the exercise from dancing...
adamgdwn
adamgdwn
Canada
2004/02/17, 02:15 PM
Hey verygoldfish:

I tore up my ankle real bad playing rugby, and had to stay off it for a while. I tried some low impact excercises like rowing machine, swimming,and if you can do it without too much pain, stair climber. These will give a great cardiovascular workout, and may help tighten up some muscles you didn't use too often before. Massage works great in conjuction with the ice RICE formula.
adamgdwn
adamgdwn
Canada
2004/02/17, 02:15 PM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.
copysquirl
copysquirl
United States
2004/03/03, 11:42 AM
I know every injury is different, but how long after an injury like this is it okay to work it out? I am three days out from slamming into the groun and twisting it on the mountain...and it's getting better but I'm afraid to hit the gym even for lower impact just yet... is there some indicator I can use? I'm getting range of movement back fine...it's been improving...you say stair climber though and I cringe. Soon I'll just go back to teh couch and live there. What's normal? :(