Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

Bowflex

Firesoul
Firesoul
United States
2004/01/28, 12:00 AM
I was just curious if you think it would be okay to use a Bowflex instead of a machine. Using the machines that the workout describes would require me to go to the gym, when i would much rather use my free weights and Bowflex at home. If any of you have any experience with the bowflex i'd like to hear about it.
Also, any ideas for a motivator? I signed up for free trainers 5 weeks ago, and have only done the workout once. It's sad, no need to rub it in. :) I have lost 10+ pounds on the south beach diet in the past two weeks though, so if anyone is looking to loose some quick weight South Beach is a good way to go. What i need is some way that i can stay motivated to work out. I think my problem is that it always seems like work to me rather than fun. Does anyone have any ideas how to make it more fun?
Thanks!
pimple
pimple
United States
2004/01/28, 12:39 AM
what? 10 pounds in two weeks? i'm sorry to say but you better start looking into the west coast diet... jk... anyhoo, seriously, though, if you lose more than two pounds a week you're putting your health at risk... so go easy on the starvation, there...

anyhoo, i've never used a bowflex myself, but i've heard props from quite a bit of people who have tried it... also, in the motivation factor... maybe you should get yourself a girl... take your shirt off in front of her and look at her face as she tries to stab her eyes out... that should motivate you... JK!
Firesoul
Firesoul
United States
2004/01/28, 02:18 AM
LOL, well, i hardly think i'm that bad looking.

In regards to the diet, the cool part was i wasn't starving myself. I was just avoiding breads and sugars for a while to allow my body to get rid of the cravings. Cravings for any food are stored as different types of fat in your body. Each type goes along with a different type of food. When i avoid bread and sugar for two weeks, my body rids itself of the fat cells that craves certain foods, which means i loose weight. So, there's nothing unhealthy about it. I was still getting plenty of nutrients.
goldengloves
goldengloves
United States
2004/01/28, 09:49 AM
I slapped some motivational posters up on my wall in the basement and put a couple of full body mirrors up and posted photos of my old out of shape fat self on the wall as well. Plus when I get aggravated while working out and want to quit. A little trash talking to yourself doesnt hurt....Im easily motivated w/ some strong music and seeing the goal I wish to receive with my lifting.
Logger
Logger
United States
2004/01/28, 07:30 PM
i live by the bowflex. i have been using one for the past two years and i have made very good gains. my bench went from 90lbs to 120 in the first few weeks. when you use it go slow or you are cheating yourself out of a good workout. and use it properly for best results.

--------------
free your mind -Logger
arondaballer
arondaballer
United States
2004/01/28, 08:03 PM
Going to the gym and doing a good workout with a mixture of free weights, machines, and cables would give you better results, but I think if you put a lot of effort and work hard at anything, you will get some kind of good results. I've used the Bowflex and I didn't like it at all compared to one of my regular workouts. The resistance seemed to change as you go through a rep, and I felt like the free weights on curls and benching worked me a lot harder and worked my stabilizing muscles a lot better. Like I said, I think you can get some good results out of the bowflex if you work hard enough, but I think you'de get better ones out of the gym.........And you won't look like the guys on the commercials with just a bowflex that's for sure!

--------------
If Satan ever tries to remind you of your past, just tell him of his future!
tbryan_2
tbryan_2
United States
2004/02/05, 01:24 PM
well I use both the bowflex and free weights. I like to mix it up a bit. i work the bow on days i jus dont feel like going to the gym, it has paid off im starting to get bigger and cut up more by switching up. do what logger said by going slow thats what the bow does cause it is resistant machine.
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2004/02/05, 02:39 PM
fire soul.........you do knwo the human body is desigend to use carbs for energy right? think about it the most sucessful and strongest animals in the naimal kingdom are either omnivores or herbivores..........look at the gorilla......500+ lbs of pure brute force ......next is yes your body will burn fat for fuel but still it "thinks' its being starved so when you eventually go off you diet, BOOM you body start s to immedatly store carbs for a later use, trust me i know its happened to me before, not to mention you lose out on lots of fiber and vitamans not eating carby foods........i did the atkins diet in high school.....i went from about 260 down to 215 ( waist size 35in) in like 3 months thoguth I was happy waist was small, but I didn't feel right, I couldn't gain muscle and I never had engery.......so I went off of it and BOOM lil over 6 weeks I was like 285( waist size 48) and it wasn't muscle either lol it wasn;t till I figured out about calories and junk did I lose weight( fat) and gain muscle..........now I'm 250lbs (18% body fat)37in waist.....yea my waist is stil a lil on the big side......but i'd rather be 5lbs heavier and healthy than be 5 lbs lighter and feel like shit

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!

LEAVE YOUR EGO AT THE DOOR!!
Firesoul
Firesoul
United States
2004/02/05, 10:09 PM
Well, maybe i'm not doing a good enough job of explaining the diet. You should read up about it, because it's not about cutting carbs, only eating more good carbs and loosing bad ones. Since christmas, i've lost 30 pounds of fat. Now, i'm eating pretty healthy but allowing myself to eat what i want, if that makes sense. I've been off the strict part of the diet for a week now and have kept the weight off. I'm pretty confident that it will stay off after i'm off the diet, though the point of the diet is to introduce healthy eating habits, so even after i'm off, i'm still eating right.