Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Strains,Sprains and Tears

starznight
starznight
United States
2004/01/19, 04:16 AM
Sounds rather like that movie doesn't it... planes,trains and automobiles? Anyways, I just started the exercise routine here... beginner's basic with 12 week abs... but I'm a little worried, see my problem is I tend to sprain,twist,strain or tear some muscle or other about once every other month or so. It's rarely more than one injury, like right now I'm still getting over a torn shoulder muscle (rodocuff or something sounds like an engine part) So anyways back to what I was saying, does anyone think that by doing these pretty basic exercises I'll just be setting myself up for another injury? I had been doing yoga for a long while but it never seemed to keep down on the weight, but I started it because every muscle in my body is too short to fit my bones (or something like that was diagnosed with some fancy named thing when I was only 6 put through a guantlet of physical therepy until my parents couldn't afford it any longer) Any advice you might have would be greatly apprieciated even if it's just to tell me that yes I'll probably sprain my wrist doing push-ups one day or tear a ligament in my ankle doing the squats.

Painfully yours
but crazy enough to keep at it
Starz
2004/01/19, 10:51 AM
I had rotator cuff surgery last June. I often wonder if I'll ever heal. Regarding your cuff, you need to have it diagnosed. If it is torn it won't heal. Aches and pains are normal with exercise. Weight lifting should be built up gradually so that your body becomes acclimated and so you can learn the difference in normal soreness and pain from injury. If in doubt about an injury , have it checked. Normal soreness passes.

--------------
Living well is the best revenge.

Charlie
starznight
starznight
United States
2004/01/19, 11:05 AM
Aye... been to the doctor's already for my shoulder, I tore it once before when I was only about 10 or so and have had tendonitis ever since, and just as the last time I tore it the doctor I went to see this time didn't recommend surgery, just said to give it time and rest, and start working the arm again slowly, but to expect it to always be a problem...(not real fond of that doc, but limited choices between insurance and just access to good docs where i live, I swear we have the military rejects filling our town) No offense meant against the military love you guys *) Was just mostly concerned about the constant sprains and such which is my most common injury... I mean I've torn many a muscle in my body and have always had problems with that but the doctors have all remained the same in treatment, pain killers, RICE, go back to moving slowly, expect continued problems LOL, can't say too much after all they're still just "practicing" hehehe, anyone with out a PhD in medicine has told me the same that you said, if it's torn it won't heal... end of story, it needs to be fixed, yet I go to the doctor and he tells me otherwise, but still says "Yep it's torn" followed by "Nope not gonna do anything for it, here's your pills." C'est la vie... I guess I'll just work around any injuries I get, have become a master at that art LOL
guice
guice
United States
2007/12/12, 12:21 AM
Message deleted by moderator due to unsuitable content for this board.