Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

Can you please help me with my bad back?

flowerbug
flowerbug
United States
2004/01/11, 02:35 AM
Hi there,
What I am looking for is maybe someone who has been in my shoes and knows some exercises I can do to relieve some of my pain.

I injured my back "chipped a lower disc" at the age of 15. The doctors didn't do anything then and said I was young and my back would adjust to the injury.

I am 36 now and for the last 4 years I've been in bad pain to major pain daily. I've been to many doctors and had lots of steroids which work for a few months, I've gotten a mini surgery to relieve a pinched nerve. You name it I've done it therapy, chiropractor, acupuncture the list goes on and on.

My pain management doctor just released me to a surgeon, because he thinks he has done all he can and that I need major disc surgery now. I don't see the surgeon until Jan 26th.

I am doing AM yoga every morning which helps I can do almost all the positions and it seems to help me and it really helps mentally too. "My pain management doctor had me stop doing my yoga for months he said he wasn't good for my injury, but my body thinks it is because after I stopped I hurt even more and got really moody. I started back at the first of the year and mentally I am feeling much better plus my back feels some what better after also." I am also doing 20 mins with a wearing a back brace on my glider. I can't do it all at once but I am up to going 10 min twice a day. I can walk with the back brace, but the cold really makes me hurt worse. It's only 49 here, but I walk 1/2 a mile to day and it felt like I was going to die I hurt so bad.

I am on a lot of medication and I hate it. I take bextra, loratab, zanaflex and moraton at night. “Sorry I am sure I spelled all these wrong” Besides low back pain I have pain running down my right leg and my two little toes go numb. I hurt doing everything but standing is the worse.

Sorry this is so long, but if you have any helpful idea please share them with me. I am willing to try anything. I know there has to be something I can do to get better.

I am eating healthy and taking vitamins and working at losing 27 pounds. I am 5'6 and I weigh 157 pounds.

Thanks so much and I wish good health to everyone!
Laura/New Orleans
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2004/01/12, 09:05 AM
flowerbug - that's a common topic here so if you browse or search for back problems it might give you a better idea of some more options. There's a lot of us in the been there/done that area and it makes a bunch of us reluctant to offer advice that may make your problem worse. Personally, I found strengthening the stomach and concentrating on strict lat pulldowns in all its variations to be the best thing for mine and my back surgery was back in the mid 80's.
JMLcmt
JMLcmt
United States
2004/01/15, 07:51 PM
Please go see a massage therapist.
they can make you feel so much better...
Explain to them what happened and ask them to work on all
the related areas. It could possibly make you feel better
until your surgery....Good Luck