Group: General Fitness & Exercise

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 379, Messages: 54577

Various general exercise related discussions. Find out what it takes to reach your fitness goals through daily effective exercise. With so many options we try to find out what works best.

Join group

Picking up Speed.......need help

lynnoakdale
lynnoakdale
United States
2003/12/18, 10:22 AM
Hey all,
I have a question.....I need to know the best way to increase my speed while running. I would like to do this gradually but consistently. I do run on a regular basis but not a a fast pace and I am tired of seeing all the smokers pass by me...........Any pointers here??? Also I am on a very Isolated Island and sad to say there isnt a Soup Or Salad Unlimted around the corner. I do try to eat as much protein as I can and watch the carb intake but they dont always have the good protein (turkey fish chicken)at the store here........most of the time the selection is Pork and ground beef. Do I need to up my cardio to an hour instead of 30 mins and if I do will this help me see any results? Any advice is appreciated.

--------------
you can lead the horse to the water but you can\'t make them drink.....

~lynnoakdale
nerraw
nerraw
United States
2003/12/18, 11:07 AM
Lynnoakdale,
You need to add info to your profile as this assists in framing a response.

I have managed to up my running tempo firstly by keeping at it, which I assume you're doing? Secondly getting the speed up requires concentration, focus on your run get used to lengthening your stride. You'll find that this effects your breathing so focus on that to until you find that you are breathing comfortably while striding, you'll also be going faster.

Another tactic requires you to measure your normal run then time yourself making mental notes of landmarks and time intervals. Next run challenge the time for each interval.

Guess that about does it?
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2003/12/18, 11:22 AM
I could suggest doing some plyometric exercises. These help develop power and explosiveness.

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
lynnoakdale
lynnoakdale
United States
2003/12/18, 01:22 PM
I have filled out my profile (I think....meaning I answered all the questions) and hit submit.......what else do I need to do.........thanks for all the info and am excited about trying them at the gym.

--------------
you can lead the horse to the water but you can\'t make them drink.....

~lynnoakdale
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/12/18, 06:11 PM
You might want to try interval running, something like hit.
Try warming up at a higher speed, and try doing intervals. Running longer will not make you faster. Also, squats, ball squats with db's. Will make your legs stronger too.
Hope that helps. Don't expect dramatic increases weekly, be patient and persistant. Good luck

--------------
"A will finds a way"
Ivan Montreal Canada
detox174
detox174
United States
2003/12/18, 10:39 PM
like carivan said working out your legs will be a key part in gaining speed. Its not as easy to gain speed but with the right training you can. try doing agility drills like you would do for basketball. Suicides will do this. (if you dont no what they are its: starting at the baseline of the court, run to the foul line touch it..run back touch the baseline, then run touch the half court line..then back to the base and then other foul line then back then the other baseline and back...if u do these enough youll be fine
detox174
detox174
United States
2003/12/18, 10:41 PM
like carivan said working out your legs will be a key part in gaining speed. Its not as easy to gain speed but with the right training you can. try doing agility drills like you would do for basketball. Suicides will do this. (if you dont no what they are its: starting at the baseline of the court, run to the foul line touch it..run back touch the baseline, then run touch the half court line..then back to the base and then other foul line then back then the other baseline and back...if u do these enough youll be fine
bamaman
bamaman
United States
2010/07/17, 12:11 AM
Do lots of lunges and make sure when you run you are using proper form. Bad form can really slow you down
bamaman
bamaman
United States
2010/07/17, 12:11 AM
Do lots of lunges and make sure when you run you are using proper form. Bad form can really slow you down