Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 252, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Good amount to bench (max/weight)?

jimmything
jimmything
United States
2003/12/11, 01:43 PM
I weight 160 and my max is 195. So I can bench 122% of my body weight. Most of my friends can do more than 122% of their body weight. I was wondering if this is true of people on this site. (By the way, I've been stuck at 195 for about 2.5 months now. That 200 mark is elusive.)
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2003/12/11, 02:41 PM
I don't think you'll find a standard here. In the meantime, it sounds like you've reached a plateau. Peruse some of the articles under the Powerlifting forum to get some ideas on how to increase your bench.

Good luck!

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2003/12/12, 01:28 AM
SQUAT! DEADLIFT! MILITARY! How much can you do on those? Then we'll talk. Bench is not the end-all-be-all of weightlifting existance. Sorry Jimmything, I get carried away sometimes, but I really hope you put the same effort into these exercises as you do your bench.

--------------
WISE MAN SAY: ONLY FOOLS DON\'T LIFT
fryer91
fryer91
United States
2003/12/12, 09:45 AM
jdelts: I am glad you said what you said. I have been keeping an eye on the all the bench post lately...My flat bench has gone down, but incline/decline has gone up...I don't understand it at all, not sure if it has to do with military or not...Shoulder has always given me fits, but lately it has been feeling pretty good...Little tendonitis flares up once in awhile...It feels great to do shoulder work again without sharp pains that run down to the elbow...

I think flat bench is a little over-rated; inclines and bar dips seem to hit my chest more then flat bench..I am no pro for sure, but am slowly realizing that strength will come if you concentrate on form, and the muscle your hitting rather then cheating up weight ALL the time..

Geez, I got off on a rant, but I am getting tired of the people around me that base the lifting around how much one benches.

jimmything-my post was not geared toward you...

Good luck on your quest!

jimmything
jimmything
United States
2003/12/12, 10:27 AM
No worries guys, I work my entire body. I can do more weight on squats and deadlifts than my friends who work out and weigh more than me. So, I'm not concerned about that. The point of my question was: I am noticeably weaker at benching than my friends. So, I was just wondering if I'm weak at benching or if they are exceptionally strong. Either way I'm going to keep lifting till I catch up with them and then pass'em. ;-) Having lifting partners is great motivation.
rpacheco
rpacheco
United States
2003/12/12, 11:43 AM
Good for you! It's always nice to have a goal and once you've achieved it, the "high" that it gives you is pretty undescribable...

--------------
**_Robert_**
Pain is temporary; glory is forever!