Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

ok gotta bench press question

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2003/11/26, 01:54 PM
in the morings i have to work out with the rest of the cheerleaders on my squad..( yah { sarcastly)} but anyways part of are work outs it 4 sets of bench froma work out called the bench assalt we chaneg the reps ever week my adding or subtracting weight and changing the reps,.....several of the smaller guys ( the tumblers) do these kinda 3/4 to 1/2 reps on bench.........i asked them why they do this and they said" works your chest better" when i do it i feel it in my arms, but they swear that his doctor/ phyysical therapist said that its bad for your arms to go below 90 degrees on bench, however your not getting a peak contraction and your not getting a full stretch of the muscle, more muscle fibers you recuit the bigger and stronger you get right???? can anyone help me we had a arguement abotu this for about 5 mins????????

--------------
---andrew.......adversity causes some to break, but others to break records!
2003/11/26, 02:54 PM
I had the same argument a few times when training with baseball players; apparently some pitching coaches tell players to use that 3/4 rep scheme to protect their shoulders from too much stretching, leading to strains/tears, etc. The way I see it, I'd rather get the full range of motion of complete reps, but I can see where you might want to take it easy if you participate in a shoulder-rotation-intensive sport like baseball or volleyball. I've never had problems with full reps and it doesnt seem like you do either, so I say stick with your method if you're seeing good results.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
jplatz
jplatz
United States
2003/11/26, 04:14 PM
Performing 1/2 and 3/4 rep presses are good for overcoming sticking points and keeping the focus just on the pec. It does keep less pressure on the weaker muscles in the shoulder. So Mzakal, the coach is right when it comes to pitchers.
Big, your point is well taken about the stretch, but the primary contraction is on the upward motion of the rep. The eccentric contraction helps build strength but it's the concentric that matters to most people.

As for coming down past 90 degrees, don't do it. It's bad for the shoulders, especially when lifting heavy.

--------------
The meek shall inherit the Earth, but the strong and muscular will carry them through it!
That which does not kill me can only make me stronger.
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2003/11/26, 05:20 PM
I have the Volleyball players I work with do full range of motion bench, speed bench, Incline Press, and close-grip bench. We have zero shoulder problems. The problem comes when a player uses too heavy of a weight without first preparing for that weight. There are a lot of other factors involved as well. For example, not working support muscle groups will cause a bench related injury. Those injuries have given bench presses a bad name in the overhead sports. Spend time developing your back and rotator cuff as you do your bench and chest then you will be fine.
Jdelts
Jdelts
United States
2003/11/27, 04:11 PM
Bigandrew....millions of successful weightlifters can't be wrong...I've had similar arguments. I've honestly never met someone who had serious problems with doing full range of motion (of course after warming up). People hear something or see something once and they want to believe it. Gatormade hit it perfect with his response. Good post bigandrew.

--------------
SHUT UP AND GROW!!!