Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

decline bench/ flys

bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2003/10/28, 04:01 PM
i knwo the point of this excercise is to devolope the lower chest and to help build it up, however wheni do it i don't feel it in my lower chest at all! I usually just do dips( head forward) to hit my lower chest. I have never read of any body builders or power lifters that do these excercises.Is this one of those excercises that can be left out or should i ad this to my routine?
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/10/28, 08:03 PM
It has been shown that declines actually recruit more muscle fibers (chest) when done correctly than flat bench. You are probably using too much shoulder, it is very easy to do. Lighten the weight, and "feel" for the chest. Flex it before you start the rep. Once you get the movement down, you will get a great pump from it. Dips are excellent too. I like to do both most of the time.

--------------
Great people never want it easier, they just want to be better!
Ron
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/10/28, 08:21 PM
Here are some stats to back up my assertion.

The following is a summary of EMG results for several muscle groups indicating the most effective exercises for increasing muscle strength and size. The results are taken from Dr. Tudor Bompa’s book entitled SERIOUS STRENGTH TRAINING. For each muscle group outlined, there is a list of exercises in ascending order from highest muscle stimulation to lowest( indicated by % iEMG MAX ).

CHEST
Pectoralis Major % iEMG MAX
Decline dumbell bench press 93
Decline bench press (olympic) 89
Push-ups between benches 88
Flat dumbell bench press 87
Flat bench press 85
Flat dumbell flys 84

Pectoralis Minor % iEMG MAX
Incline dumbell bench press 91
Incline bench press (olympic) 85
Incline dumbell flys 83
Incline bench press (Smith) 81

--------------
Ron
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2003/10/28, 08:23 PM
There is a greater prestretch in the pectoralis major when performing a decline bench press so that is why the recruitment is higher. I use decline bench to develop my bench.
bb1fit
bb1fit
United States
2003/10/28, 09:58 PM
Bingo!

============
Quoting from gatormade:

There is a greater prestretch in the pectoralis major when performing a decline bench press so that is why the recruitment is higher. I use decline bench to develop my bench.
=============

--------------
Ron
gatormade
gatormade
United States
2003/11/04, 09:42 AM
Recruitment is another area of hot research right now. The more muscle fiber we can effectively recruit the more we can lift. There are lots of ways to effectively recruit more and one is a great prestretch before the concentric phase of a lift. Westside dynamic effort days are all about recruitment. The protocol recruits fast twitch fiber, fatigues it, requiring your body to some how find a way to recruit more fast twitch fiber. So, there is a big turn over on your strength day because you simply have more muscle fiber working. That is a dumbed down version of what is happening. Hopefully some of you newbies will take note and try the dynamic effort days. You'll benefit from it.