Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

mom...

effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/10/27, 03:35 PM
My mom has started going to a strength and conditioning group class twice a week. Yay! She needs to lose about 40 pounds, so this is good. She also wants to get some dumbbells and start lifting at home. I told her that I'd take her shopping for equipment at which point she informed me that she won't lift more than 3 lb weights because she's afraid of getting "bulgy". I managed to convince her that light is not the way to go, but I'm so frustrated that women are still so misinformed. My mom is an educated, professional woman, yet she still believed that heavy weight=bulky woman. Let's start informing girls in their teens of the truth about fitness and resistance training so that females aren't cursed forever by these lies. Wow. I should go into politics. Sorry, I'm just so angry that misinformation keeps so many people from reaching their goals.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/10/27, 07:35 PM
I think it needs to start at the gym. Our trainers are constantly asking me how heavy I'm lifting and comment that 99% of the other women and some of the men are not lifting that heavy. But I don't see them encouraging the women to lift heavier! A few women have commented on how impressed they are with the amount of weight I move, but they continue to wear themselves out on the cardio equipment!

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/10/27, 10:15 PM
That's exactly what I'm talking about. I see women spending a full hour on the treadmill and going home. 30 minutes of interval cardio and 30 minutes of weights would make much better use of that time. I always stress the importance of balance to my clients, but I think those who do are a small number.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe