Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 38, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

Sticky Deadlift; why we do it

resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 of 6 pages
orthocarept
orthocarept
United States
2012/02/19, 01:56 PM
It is a great exercise.  But I will take the contrarian position here. Most people do not perform it correctly leading to injury.  My professional opinion is that unless you are well trained and consider yourself advanced, you should not deadlift.  It is not an exercise for those just getting started with strength training.  I would argue that they are neuromuscularly immature for such a movement pattern.  That being said, I see trainers consistently using this exercise with someone who looks like they never set foot in a gym.  But please do not ge me wrong here.  Deadlifts can be very effective.  As a physical therapist please keep in mind, I look at exercises, movement patterns, etc as risk vs reward.  Unless one is not well trained, to me more risk vs reward.  That's all.

Michael
kolhy
kolhy
Canada
2012/02/20, 04:58 PM
I’d agree that most people do not execute this movement properly (as with most other compound movements). There’s a lot of ego in the weight room which has the potential to spell disaster coupled with poor DL form.

With proper weight selection, however, I believe it’s a safe and effective exercise for people that have good instruction AND the proper body mechanics to carry it out – regardless of fitness status or training history.

The DL is such a great and effective exercise that mimics day to day living. How many novices pick up boxes/objects from the floor? Learning the proper technique/posture can help reduce the chance for injuries (not to mention make you less tired and more efficient) in your daily living – a benefit that athletes and novices can enjoy alike.

I think it’s great to see a novice working with a trainer on developing this skill. We all have to start somewhere and there’s no better way to start than with a trainer beside you helping you develop such an important carry over skill. The key is working with one that is properly educated and competent.

I have a feeling I know what your response will be, and yes, the criteria for a trainer is minimally met with a workshop and simple exam. The onus is on the public to do their research and seek out an experienced trainer to work with.

This is a long thread (wow!) and I haven’t had time to read through it all yet. Anyone else have any other thoughts on this?
Jac48
Jac48
United States
2018/04/12, 08:42 AM
All these years later and still one of the most motivating topics when it comes to a specific exercise!  The Dead Lift and why we do it....if you have not done so recently, read all 252 posts above, you will want to dead lift!!
resultset_first resultset_previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 of 6 pages