Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

My Diet Stinks!

atlboi
atlboi
United States
2003/10/08, 09:32 AM
Good Morning,

I'm not a bodybuilder, just a regular Joe trying to stay fit. My ideal size is something like LL Cool J (my goal in 3 years). At any rate, I'm 5'10 about 187 now (weight 1st thing in the morning), and about 13% bodyfat (estimate). How can I cut down on fat while packing on lean muscle?

My current diet consist of:

1) Oatmeal or Cereal w/fat free milk
2) Protein Shake (2 scoops) mid morning
3) Low Fat meals from Kroger (Kroger brand/cheaper than Healthy Choice meals but similiar in nutrition).. I eat this for lunch and right before the gym
4) Protein Shake (2scoops) mid afternoon
5) Low Fat meal from Kroger (right before gym)
6) Banana w/Protein Shake (2scoops) right after workout
7) (2) Chicken Breasts w/Veggies about 1.5 hr after workout
8) Last meal .. 5 egg whites

Can I cheat using this diet? Do you suggest cheat days or cheat meals? How many cheat meals per week? I'm trying to cut fat from my belly, love handles, not lose any more size. I'm fitting into a large shirt and thats small enough for me right now. Is there any way I can can muscle without packing on too much fat (if possible?)

My Current WorkOut Routine
Cardio:
While at work, I do (3) 20 minute session of walking at the highest level (15). I break a sweat about 12 minutes into the routine. The treadmill reports a total of 375 calories burned per session

Gym:
At the gym.. I do a (5) minute walk (at high level.. an additional 100 calories burned) for a warm up
Then I hit the weights for about 1.5 hrs
I then hit my abs (total of 300 crunches) and love handles (total of 200 reps)
Last I hit the treadmill again for a 5 minute walk .. another 100 calories burned

Any help is appreciated. Should I be running for a longer period of time instead of walking? Let me know.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/10/08, 02:36 PM
Are you doing packaged meals to save time? Cut out the packaged meals, instead once or twice a week cook a ton of chicken breasts, a large batch of brown rice, some sweet potatoes, and cut up veggies. Get cheap gladware containers and package your own meals, you can even freeze them if you would like to.
You need 2 scoops of a decent whey protein powder in your oatmeal for breakfast, add it after it has cooled a little.
The less you cheat, the faster your results will come, but one cheat meal on the weekend can actually boost your metabolism.
If you are lifting longer than an hour at a time, you need to cut back your training a little, you are going to induce cortisol with really long weighttraining sessions. What kind of split are you doing?
Your reps for abs are crazy, what are your abdominal goals? Are you doping the reps slow and controlled so you really stimulate your muscles or are you cranking out reps using momentum?
If you train right and rest enough and eat clean you can put on muscle without gaining too much fat.

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
"You do or you do not. There is no try." - Yoda