Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

i needa split

BigJDeDona
BigJDeDona
United States
2003/09/10, 11:14 PM
i needa new split every1. i need a split that can give me a strong explosive chest as well as strong explosive legs. I want big bicepts but strength isnt that important and everthing else i just want to get done. I need the legs and chest and power for thrwoing shotput, but everthing else i just want to look good (and intimidating for the sport lol) so if ne1 has a split for me and maybe a leg workout give me some input!!!
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/09/11, 05:28 PM
back/biceps, chest/triceps, off, legs, shoulders/chest, off, off. That gives you 2 chest workouts, but with at least 2 days rest inbetween each, since that is your focus. There are a lot of different leg workouts. Here is what we do: ball or reg squats as a warm-up, then BB squats, leg press-upper platform, curls, extensions, calves. On the day my husband does his 2nd chest workout, I do an additional glute/hip workout instead. It's a guy/girl thing, ya know. I'm sure someone will post a leg workout that includes deadlifts, too.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/09/18, 04:08 PM
Did you ever work out a new split for yourself? I though someone else would comment on this, too.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2003/09/19, 01:48 PM
the work out i have been doing is 3 days on and 4 days off. i work out mon ,wed, fri.....but heres the kicker u work out 2 times a day!......monday is shoulders and back....2x12 sets of sides raises the 4 to 5 sets of military ( any kind u choose) then go back and do 2 more sets of side raises.....then go get u a dumbbell and do clean jerks over head explode and use ur legs.....for back do lat pulls downs close grips and rows( dumbell or barbell) and of coarse dead lifts thats monday......wedsay morning do a warmup anything u choose...do bench 4 sets start with 64% of ur max and do it 12 times for the 1st set... after that go past 12 till u can't move the bar by ur self.. then do 4 sets of squates and 3 sets of hammer lats( a machine) then go back and do bench till ur done with the super set....any shoulder excercise u choose.......after noon do any arm excercises u like on 3 per body part however.....friday.....bench press again same way except do 10 lbs more than u did weds. and only 10 reps ... then on the next sets rep out as many as u can.....do pull ups then lunges then back to bench (4 sets total).....then find a box and jump on it 8 times....rest a few mins and do it again..........friday after noon do upper chest and soem light leg work... like extensions,,, curls and calves and thats it.... u work out alot but u get alot of rest...........my strengh has me on this and i like it. i never knew i could bench 205 for 18 reps then 16 then 15 lol tell now good luck
BigJDeDona
BigJDeDona
United States
2003/09/20, 04:08 PM
that would be good but im tryin to hit upt hte gym atleast 5 times a weak, 4 big workotus minimum, but this whole new split is a wokr in progress
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/09/21, 12:22 PM
bigj,
there are soooo mnay ways to do a split routine!!!
If you want to train for explosive power, train explosively. When you bench, lower the weight slowly and then explode it up, same with squats.
Also, incorporating some plyometrics into your workouts will add some power and agility.
Get some resistance bands, attach them to a post and use them to do specific movement training for shotput. Or you could simulate the wind up and throw, without releasing it with medicine ball or dumb bell.
PLyometric push-ups, jump squats, medicine ball tosses, add these in once a week at first, and then twice a week as you progress.
The thing you need to consider about a split is adequate recovery time.
Also - do you train in phases? If you get yourself onto a cycle for off-season nad in-season, you will benefit greatly.
In Bill Pearl's book, Getting Stronger, he proposes the following for Track and field throwers
Off-season: 3 days a week, with one day off in-between
Sept, Oct, Nov, 4-5 sets, 8-10 reps
Dec (power phase) 6 sets, 8-6-5-3-3-1
Jan, Feb, 5 sets 5-8 reps
March April May, June: Follow in-season program
July August 3-6 sets 10-8-6m (5-3-3-)
The above rep scheme applies to exercises with an asterisk after them, the other exercises rep scheme stays the same
Bench press*
Bent over row, 4 sets 10-8-6-4 reps
Incline bench 2-3 sets 8-6-6
pull-ups 2-3 sets 8-6-6
Squats *
Leg extension 2 sets 10-8
leg curl 2 sets 10-8
curl-ups 2 sets 30-30
back extension 1 set 10-20
Optional:
Overhead presses 3 sets 8-6-6
Standing med, grip front barbell raise 3 sets 10-10-8
Medium grip high pull *
dumb bell biceps curl 3 sets 10-8-6
triceps pushdown 3 sets 10-8-6
In addition, Pearl advoctaes wrist and foreamr exercises.
Let me know if you want it, I will type up the in-season program and cycle.
It sounds like a lot of work to track cycles, but it really does improve performance.

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
BigJDeDona
BigJDeDona
United States
2003/09/22, 03:52 PM
this is good stuff, i'd like to see that forearm and wriest exersizes. i do them forearms anyway so i mite as well do wats best for my goals. thanx
bigandrew
bigandrew
United States
2003/09/30, 04:45 PM
i have read may studing showing that in MOST ( key word here) working our 4 or 5 days a week peopel got just as good results if not better workingout 3 days a week...........many powerlifts only train once or 2 times a week at most............and sometimes u only se them 3 or 4 times a month in the off season........pleanty of rest is the key to being stonger