Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

question

strumang
strumang
United States
2003/07/10, 01:30 PM
Hi everyone! Im new here, but reading your posts has motivated me to really get on the ball. My question is regarding ab workouts- I had a baby not so long ago and of course need to workout my stomach but I cant for the life of me, do crunches, my neck kills me. Ive tried doing it the correct way-by using my stomach muscles but it hurts anyway. Any advice on ab workouts that dont strain the neck that much? Thanks in advance!!!!
lucyladybug
lucyladybug
United States
2003/07/10, 04:14 PM
Get in a position where you would normally do a pushup but rest on your elbows instead and hold for a certain amount of time and do a few sets.
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/07/11, 06:01 PM
Are you maintaining a neutral spine? Check out how your neck is aligned when you stand up tall, try to maintain that during ab exercises. Your neck shouldn't hurt in that position unless something is not right. Go to your doctor and have your spinal alignment checked, your vertebrae may be out of line and causing extra stress. As for the plank position described above by lucyladybug, it's great, but try it on your knees first if you're a beginner. Good luck.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/07/14, 05:21 PM
Where is your hand placement? I keep mine crossed over my chest so that I don't put any pressure on my neck. I also find them easier to do with a swiss ball.

--------------
~Victoria~
...There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.--Beverly Sills