Group: Competitive Bodybuilding & Fitness

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 22, Messages: 5367

Discuss the process of preparing for a competition on the sport of body building, fitness and more!

Join group

new to bodybuilding

timbaland
timbaland
United States
2003/07/02, 03:34 AM
Hello everyone. I've been weight training (mainly strength training)for 2 and a half years now and I came to the point where I want to start something new, bodybuilding. Like most people new to a particular sport, I have questions. I looked at the ft muscle mass program (which I'm currently doing) and it seems to be working your muscles to exhaustion via volume training or at least what I believe to be volume training. Please correct me if I'm wrong. My question is the ft program uses reps of like 16 12 10 8 6 and 4 repetitions. Do massbuilding programs use the same rep scheme? Do you guys use volume training? Should the rest between sets be 1 minute? Thanks.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/07/02, 09:47 AM
The heavier you lift, the more rest you need in between sets. At least that is the current belief.
Bodybuilding is different because you go through definite cycles in your training, mass building is going to involve less volume and more weight. A cutting phase is going to involve a little less weight perhaps, as your calories drop and energy levels are down, and different types of workouts to bring out definition.
Volume training can be worked into your program as a variable, you could do a volume based phase, a weight based phase, etc. There are so many ways to lift, utlizing them all in a planned program is beneficial.

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
timbaland
timbaland
United States
2003/07/02, 03:45 PM
Thanks asimmer. So what is the ideal rep range for the bulk phase of bodybuilding? For biceps and triceps I heard its in the 9-12 range. You have to use a different rep range for chest though right? I definitely could use quite a bit more mass before I go into the cutting and definition phase.
asimmer
asimmer
United States
2003/07/03, 09:01 AM
When you get up past ten reps you have entered the endurance range, at least that is my schooling.
Use the same rep range for all muscle groups, just not as many total sets. For example, you might hit your chest with 4 exercises, three sets each, a total of twlve sets for that muscle group.
You want to hit the smaller muscles with isolating moves, but they work during the bigger muscles' exercises, so they are pre-exhauseted, plus they just don't have as many fibers. Do 2-3 exercises with 2-3 sets, still heavy in good form.
Of course, evryone has their own opinion about what works and how many reps/sets, etc. You just have to keep doing it, keep increasing it and get adequate rest. Don't go to failure every workout, every set. Oncce a week take it to the max, hit failure. Otherwise your muscles won't recover and grow.
Good luck!

--------------
Challenge + Consistency = Results
sdmusclebuddy
sdmusclebuddy
United States
2003/07/18, 05:46 PM
I've been on the mass building routine for about 7 weeks, following it to the letter, and made great gains. I think that because it follows the 4-12 rep scheme and alternates two weeks worth of workouts, this is why it works so well. You'll notice that the only sets that are over 12 reps are the first of an exercise. This is more of an "acclimation" set that helps get the neural pathways between your brain and muscles ready for the heavier sets. I feel that only one or two of the sets in any exercise are the ones that stimulate growth. I can always tell which one that is, usually the third one.

I always use the log here, and play a little mind game with the progress charts. I looked at the formulas used to estimate a one-rep max and discovered that each rep of a set increases the estimated 1-rm by as much as ten pounds. When doing a set, I keep this in mind and it helps me push out that extra rep or two. When I look at the progress charts, I'm increasing my strength almost every workout! It's awesome!

--------------
Keep pumpin`
Rick
sdmusclebuddy
sdmusclebuddy
United States
2003/07/18, 05:58 PM
I've been on the mass building routine for about 7 weeks, following it to the letter, and made great gains. I think that because it follows the 4-12 rep scheme and alternates two weeks worth of workouts, this is why it works so well. You'll notice that the only sets that are over 12 reps are the first of an exercise. This is more of an "acclimation" set that helps get the neural pathways between your brain and muscles ready for the heavier sets. I feel that only one or two of the sets in any exercise are the ones that stimulate growth. I can always tell which one that is, usually the third one.

I always use the log here, and play a little mind game with the progress charts. I looked at the formulas used to estimate a one-rep max and discovered that each rep of a set increases the estimated 1-rm by as much as ten pounds. When doing a set, I keep this in mind and it helps me push out that extra rep or two. When I look at the progress charts, I'm increasing my strength almost every workout! It's awesome!

--------------
Keep pumpin`
Rick