Group: Specific Diets & Nutrition

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 104, Messages: 22775

With so many diets and nutritional plans out there, you can get lost. Find out what works best for others and share your experiences!

Join group

sweet p'taters

tarab21
tarab21
United States
2003/06/06, 11:16 PM
Anyone know why Yams are "better" than regular potatoes?

And also, how do you cook them? I've never tried one but I picked one up today and I'm going to cook it tomorrow.

thanks
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2003/06/07, 09:12 AM
Excellent source of fiber and is a complex carb. Better than a regular potatoe for sure.
You can bake it in the oven, they are very tasty that way, or you can cook them like a regular potatoe.
Enjoy it.

--------------
You can walk to anywhere you want, it only takes time.

Ivan Montreal Canada (aka SpongeBob Square Pants to some!)
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/07, 10:53 AM
Sweets are complex carbs? I always figured they were simple carbs. They are going on my grocery list right now; I love sweet potatoes.
tarab21
tarab21
United States
2003/06/07, 01:07 PM
thanks... i never will understand all that carb stuff. i know one kind is bad, one kind is good, i guess i just don't quite understand why. but thanks for letting me know about sweet tatos.
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/06/08, 02:50 AM
Sweet potatoes and yams are 2 different things, although both are in the tuber family. Sweet potatoes are the light colored ones, sort of a pale peach color. Yams are the darker ones. There are even ruby yams that have a red colored peel. Of course I am talking about fresh ones, ine the produce section, not canned ones. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever seen canned sweet potatoes. I personally think the yam has a stronger taste and the sweet tater is closer to like a yukon gold. And yes, like carivan said, you can bake, fry, boil, mash, grill 'em. A lot of people won't try them as they are thinking of the typical Thanksgiving yams, with syrup and marshmallows...yuk!

--------------
~Victoria~
...Some things have to be believed to be seen!
gwindalyn
gwindalyn
United States
2003/06/08, 03:29 PM
I peel and boil them then smash them with splenda and cinnamon! Just like mashed potatoes minus the starch, butter, and milk. :p

I asked the same question about the carb difference. I hope I understood correctly. :) This is what I got from it. Simple carbs are digested quickly causing an insulin spike and complex carbs take longer to digest and are usually packed with fiber keeping insulin levels even and stable. Insulin is a storage hormone. Since complex carbs cause a slower release of insulin, it promotes increased energy stored in muscle tissue. Simple carbs that cause a quick surge of insulin promote energy stored in fat tissue. There is only one case in which a high burst (simple carbs) will not cause us to store fat...when our bodies are low on carb stores and looking to replenish them. This happens twice in the day...immediately upon waking when your body has fasted several hours and right after heavy lifting.

At least that is how I understand it.

--------------
~Jennifer
http://www.gwindalyn.com
If you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything.
somethin4mark
somethin4mark
United States
2007/08/02, 07:20 AM
i like the skin of sweet potatoes and regular potatoes and i eat them baked all the time, should i continue to eat the skin or should i peel it off, isn't the skin the healthiest part, or does that only apply to fruit?

--------------
Excusses are like a**holes, everyones got one, and they all stink
ecle5c
ecle5c
United States
2007/08/02, 09:04 AM
I think as long as you wash it you should be fine.
Ksee128
Ksee128
United States
2007/08/02, 09:36 AM
I shred the sweet potato with a cheese grater and throw it in a wok pan with mixture of salmon, tons of veggies (brocoli, peppers, tomatoes, green beans) and toss a little salsa in it for flavor! YUMMY!

--------------
Kasey