Group: Women's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 525, Messages: 10844

A place for women to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

Weekend Help..

Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/05/27, 12:49 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do to avoid weekend bingeing. I am so good with my eating during the week, and then the weekend comes and I blow it. I feel this is really hurting me achieve any goals I have and don't know how to control this. Help!
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/05/27, 01:15 PM
Hey andrea75--I've been having the same problem. Seems like every weekend there is some event we go to and I end up not eating like I'm supposed to. Since I never have the same schedule on the weekend like I do during the week, I can't even seem to eat as often as I do weekdays. I beat myself up on Monday, but seem to mess up come Saturday. I guess we just have to 'try, try again'!

--------------
~Victoria~
...Some things have to be believed to be seen!
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/05/27, 01:19 PM

============
Quoting from ravenwolf:

Been there. The only thing I can say is have your meals all planned out and will power. It is tough. Good luck.
=============
This is how it starts....by the end of the week I say to myself that I deserve to go off a bit because I've been so good during the week. Then I am an absolute maniac and beat myself up. I feel like this totally ruins any goal I am trying to achieve. Plus I'm very lonely lately and eating takes my mind off of things. But the planning you recommended does sound good, any other advice?
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/05/27, 01:21 PM

============
Quoting from azredhead57:

Hey andrea75--I've been having the same problem. Seems like every weekend there is some event we go to and I end up not eating like I'm supposed to. Since I never have the same schedule on the weekend like I do during the week, I can't even seem to eat as often as I do weekdays. I beat myself up on Monday, but seem to mess up come Saturday. I guess we just have to 'try, try again'!

=============
Hey there, I feel awful come every Monday. I then return to the gym and workout the entire week to blow it on the weekends again. I know we are only human, but I just want to be able to control myself. I feel so bad about myself.........Friday's I feel that I deserve to go off a bit and then it gets totally out of control......
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/05/28, 01:26 AM
I'm having such a tough time with this, too, and was feeling really bummed when I came here today. At the end of last summer I was really in top shape - except I smoked! Over the winter I quit smoking, started doing a lot of cardio and less weights, snacking more, then started taking a medication that knocked me on my butt and gave me the munchies to boot. Quit that but ever since I just haven't been able to maintain a consistant diet. I'm really doing my best to get on top of things but like AZ said we have a different event every single weekend. All I can say is it's very, very hard. I'm really proud of myself today; did great on my diet and had a great workout at the gym - have always worked out at home until I finally got a gym membership last week. I'm really enjoying having more variety in my workout schedule so hopefully that will be the key to getting my motivation up again.

I'm female and 5'2", 115 so my calorie allowance is so freakin' small!!! Seems so unfair!

Ah well, will try to utilize the advice in this thread... at least now I know I'm not alone.
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/05/28, 01:26 AM
I'm having such a tough time with this, too, and was feeling really bummed when I came here today. At the end of last summer I was really in top shape - except I smoked! Over the winter I quit smoking, started doing a lot of cardio and less weights, snacking more, then started taking a medication that knocked me on my butt and gave me the munchies to boot. Quit that but ever since I just haven't been able to maintain a consistant diet. I'm really doing my best to get on top of things but like AZ said we have a different event every single weekend. All I can say is it's very, very hard. I'm really proud of myself today; did great on my diet and had a great workout at the gym - have always worked out at home until I finally got a gym membership last week. I'm really enjoying having more variety in my workout schedule so hopefully that will be the key to getting my motivation up again.

I'm female and 5'2", 115 so my calorie allowance is so freakin' small!!! Seems so unfair!

Ah well, will try to utilize the advice in this thread... at least now I know I'm not alone.
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/05/28, 09:18 AM

============
Quoting from JessicaR:

=============
Hi jessica how are you? It's nice to know that I am not alone with this battle. I am so good with my eating regime all week, to only blow it on the weekends due mostly to lonlieness. Monday comes and I feel so crappy about myself for the damage I have done. Hopefully I can overcome it, just need a bit of determination. Small steps can help right? thanks for your response.

-Andrea
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/05/28, 11:04 AM
Andrea, I'm feeling really good today. I think the advice here is good. Make sure and keep up eating your small meals on the weekend to avoid getting too hungry. Also my major downfall is alcohol! If I just nibble all day so I can cheat at night and then have a few beers those hot wings start looking really, really good and I can really put away some food. LOL

I have such a hard time being patient; I want results and I want them now! Sticking to a moderate diet every single day is a real challenge for me, especially since my family (hb and 5yo) doesn't want to eat "weird". And they roll their eyes, etc if I skip the baked potato or the bread or whatever.

Hope you're feeling better today; really, you are not alone. Just keep up the exercise and try not to be so hard on yourself. Focus on the progress you've made. I know - easier said then done, huh? Take care -
Jessica
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/05/28, 12:41 PM

============
Quoting from JessicaR:

Andrea, I'm feeling really good today. I think the advice here is good. Make sure and keep up eating your small meals on the weekend to avoid getting too hungry. Also my major downfall is alcohol! If I just nibble all day so I can cheat at night and then have a few beers those hot wings start looking really, really good and I can really put away some food. LOL

I have such a hard time being patient; I want results and I want them now! Sticking to a moderate diet every single day is a real challenge for me, especially since my family (hb and 5yo) doesn't want to eat "weird". And they roll their eyes, etc if I skip the baked potato or the bread or whatever.

Hope you're feeling better today; really, you are not alone. Just keep up the exercise and try not to be so hard on yourself. Focus on the progress you've made. I know - easier said then done, huh? Take care -
Jessica
=============
Thank you so much Jessic, you did make me feel better. What happens ususally, is Friday night I will be ok and stay somewhat on target, I don't go nuts or anything. Then Saturday I wake up, go to the gym and do errands. Then I come home and am starving so I usually ruin it all with a bagel and so on. So, I am thinking if I eat something small before the gym, I won't be starving when I get home. I would love to keep in touch with someone who can relate, do you think we could email each other more often?

-Andrea
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/05/28, 01:24 PM

I would absolutely start eating before you go to the gym - if you're getting up, going to the gym, and then running errands all on an empty stomach than no wonder you want to binge when you get home. I usually go to the gym late afternoon/eve and I *have* to have a light meal before I work out; otherwise I have no energy for my workout plus I come home and tear through the kitchen eating everything in sight. Another thing you could do would be bring a protein shake w/ you to the gym so you have something to eat after your workout and before the errands.

Anyway, I'd love to keep in touch - probably the best bet is to message me here - I've never used that feature but I only check my e-mail about once every couple of weeks. Take care!

Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/05/28, 02:05 PM

============
Quoting from JessicaR:

I would absolutely start eating before you go to the gym - if you're getting up, going to the gym, and then running errands all on an empty stomach than no wonder you want to binge when you get home. I usually go to the gym late afternoon/eve and I *have* to have a light meal before I work out; otherwise I have no energy for my workout plus I come home and tear through the kitchen eating everything in sight. Another thing you could do would be bring a protein shake w/ you to the gym so you have something to eat after your workout and before the errands.

Anyway, I'd love to keep in touch - probably the best bet is to message me here - I've never used that feature but I only check my e-mail about once every couple of weeks. Take care!

=============
Hi Jessica, this is great advice and makes most sense so I don't tear up the kitchen like a maniac. I really hate that I do this and have had enough. I want to loose about 10 lbs and feel that this bingeing really holds me back from doing so. I am 5'5 and weigh 145-150 lbs and would feel so much better at 135-140. so, anything is possible right? How is your training these days, what types of workouts do you do?
effalunt
effalunt
Canada
2003/05/28, 07:46 PM
How about planning your treats? I find that if I schedule a treat for Sunday evening ON CONDITION that I stick to my nutrition for the rest of the weekend. If you're eating clean the rest of the time, a small sunday treat eg: a child size ice cream in my favorite flavor, isn't a big deal! Or, keep a calendar on your wall and put up a happy face or something for every day you stick to the plan. It feels good to see all those smiley faces at the end of the month.

--------------
Think you can or think you can't; either way you're right--Goethe
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/05/28, 08:28 PM
Hi Andrea. :) When your blood sugar gets too low it's almost impossible to *not* binge! Your body is starving and saying FEED ME. So you really are better off eating all day long, several small meals every couple of hours. Not to mention you will feel much better and have more energy for your workouts. A year, year and a half ago I decided I was going to lose the weight I gained during my pregnancy and I lost the weight just by working out, cutting out unecessary fats and carbs and eating lots of small meals over the day. I lost 15 or 20 pounds but went from a size nine to a size zero because all the extra muscle made me so much more compact. I actually weighed 15 lbs more than I did in college but wore a smaller size. The weights really will make a difference! Training is going great these days; I've been doing full body w/ dumbells at home (which I've been doing all along) 3xweek but just last week got a gym membership so I'm doing the freetrainer progressive gains workout w/ a three day split. I'm only on week one so I can't really tell you what kind of results I have (LOL) but I can tell you that I hardly ever get sore and adding all the new exercises and the machines plus going to a split has made me VERY sore! So I'm feeling really positive about it. Do you work out at home or at the gym?

Diet has been lousy lately but I do think I've put on some muscle as well so I'm not so worried about that today. Yesteray and today I ate really well and got in my weights and some cardio so I'm feeling like I'm on the right track again after vacation. I do have one more out of town trip this week - and I have a feeling it will involve drinking a lot of beer. :) But then things should settle down a little and I can keep whittling away.

Sorry to talk your ear off! Have a nice night, e-mail anytime - JR
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/05/30, 02:04 PM
Hi there, thank you for your advice it was great. When I was dieting a while back,I used to give myself Saturday nights to have dinner out or some other treat, right now, I just think the treats got a little out of control. So, now that I want to loose some weight (approx 10 lbs or so) treats shouldn't be as often. What types of workouts do you do?

============
Quoting from effalunt:

How about planning your treats? I find that if I schedule a treat for Sunday evening ON CONDITION that I stick to my nutrition for the rest of the weekend. If you're eating clean the rest of the time, a small sunday treat eg: a child size ice cream in my favorite flavor, isn't a big deal! Or, keep a calendar on your wall and put up a happy face or something for every day you stick to the plan. It feels good to see all those smiley faces at the end of the month.

=============
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/05/30, 02:13 PM
Hi Jessica, how are you? Wow, you're such a big help. I used to not eat before working out on the weekends because I always thought I would burn more fat that way. But in reality, I am bingeing becasue I am so hungry when i get home on the weekend that it isn't doing me any good.

Where do you get your workouts from? What is the progessive gains workout? I'm going to check out some workouts here.......I work out in the gym about 3-5 days a week, with weights and cario, just don't really get sore anymore, which is frustrating for me.

I have a baby shower tomorrow, so I am a bit nervous about staying on track, but I am determined, so wish me luck.

============
Quoting from JessicaR:

Hi Andrea. :) When your blood sugar gets too low it's almost impossible to *not* binge! Your body is starving and saying FEED ME. So you really are better off eating all day long, several small meals every couple of hours. Not to mention you will feel much better and have more energy for your workouts. A year, year and a half ago I decided I was going to lose the weight I gained during my pregnancy and I lost the weight just by working out, cutting out unecessary fats and carbs and eating lots of small meals over the day. I lost 15 or 20 pounds but went from a size nine to a size zero because all the extra muscle made me so much more compact. I actually weighed 15 lbs more than I did in college but wore a smaller size. The weights really will make a difference! Training is going great these days; I've been doing full body w/ dumbells at home (which I've been doing all along) 3xweek but just last week got a gym membership so I'm doing the freetrainer progressive gains workout w/ a three day split. I'm only on week one so I can't really tell you what kind of results I have (LOL) but I can tell you that I hardly ever get sore and adding all the new exercises and the machines plus going to a split has made me VERY sore! So I'm feeling really positive about it. Do you work out at home or at the gym?

Diet has been lousy lately but I do think I've put on some muscle as well so I'm not so worried about that today. Yesteray and today I ate really well and got in my weights and some cardio so I'm feeling like I'm on the right track again after vacation. I do have one more out of town trip this week - and I have a feeling it will involve drinking a lot of beer. :) But then things should settle down a little and I can keep whittling away.

Sorry to talk your ear off! Have a nice night, e-mail anytime - JR
=============
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/01, 11:55 AM
Andrea, the progressive gains workout is one of the freetrainers workouts - just enter your goals under FT Personal Info - one of the plans available is progressive gains. Enter in the number of days you want to work out and you'll get a workout schedule. You can find it at FT Exercise Program (one of the drop down menus at the top of the page). I have tried various full body workouts and I think the three day split is a lot more effective. It also stays interesting because you're doing a different workout every time. If you give the ft workouts a try I think you'll really enjoy them!

I hardly ever get sore anymore either, but I just started this new workout plan and I'm working out at the gym now so I have a lot more variety in my plan. I have been sore every day!

Good luck at the shower; I just got back in town and didn't do great, but it could have been worse - on my way to the gym here in a minute. Have a great weekend!
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/06/02, 09:18 AM
Hey Jessica, how are you? I just went and checked out the workouts. I like to lift 3x a week instead of 4. I think 4 is a bit much sometimes. So, they made one up for me, so I think I'll give it a shot.

The shower was ok, I didn't eat that well, but I definately have done worse damamage. I didn't have a chance to work out over the weekend, but I did eat well yesterday. Usually, I am bad both Friday, Sat, and Sun and this weekend, I was only bad one day. So, there is some progress there right?

Have a good day
Andrea

============
Quoting from JessicaR:

Andrea, the progressive gains workout is one of the freetrainers workouts - just enter your goals under FT Personal Info - one of the plans available is progressive gains. Enter in the number of days you want to work out and you'll get a workout schedule. You can find it at FT Exercise Program (one of the drop down menus at the top of the page). I have tried various full body workouts and I think the three day split is a lot more effective. It also stays interesting because you're doing a different workout every time. If you give the ft workouts a try I think you'll really enjoy them!

I hardly ever get sore anymore either, but I just started this new workout plan and I'm working out at the gym now so I have a lot more variety in my plan. I have been sore every day!

Good luck at the shower; I just got back in town and didn't do great, but it could have been worse - on my way to the gym here in a minute. Have a great weekend!
=============
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/02, 11:07 AM
Yes, it's the progress that counts. Personally if I limit myself too much I'm setting myself up to fail. I also have a five year old daughter and I really worry that if I focus too much on food and eating a perfect diet I'm going to give her an eating disorder later in life. I don't expect her to eat the way I do of course but I don't want to give her the idea that anything is bad or forbidden if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I like a three day split, too. Then if I want to go in for a fourth day and do some cardio or go to a yoga class I can do that. But I don't feel bad if I don't, either. LOL I missed my workout this weekend, too, and went out of town, drank too much but otherwise did okay. Didn't pig out too bad. LOL I've really done well since we got back and that's what I'm focusing on!

Take care, keep us posted - JR
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/06/03, 10:40 AM
Hi Jessica, how are you? I went to the gym last night and did chest and back and did a spin class. I am feeling good at the moment and really am trying to focus on training hard again. I am going to shoulders and legs tonight, any suggestions? What do you do for legs? Saturdays I don't like to lift either, only fun stuff, rollerblading, walking, biking, doing whatever I want to that is being active.

I agree about what you said about setting a good example for your daughter. I remember my mom always being on weight watchers growing up and sometimes I wonder if that has affected me too.
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/03, 11:23 AM
Andrea, for legs I do squats, lunges, wide stance squats, stiff legged deadlifts w/ freeweights. I just joined the gym so I signed up for the ft program for some ideas since I haven't used the machines since I was in college. On my leg day this week I did squats, leg extensions, hamstring curls and calves on the funky calf machine (don't know what it's called). I go as heavy as I can. I've been wanting to try the spinning class at the gym - do you like it?

My mom was a dieter, too. I did end up w/ a borderline eating disorder. Mine is more of an OCD type thing. I think there are a lot of other things involved than just my mom's dieting but still I'd hate to pass the fixations along to my daughter. It's hard enough to teach normal habits when you don't really know what normal is yourself. In a way getting into weights has been a good thing for me because it's shifted the focus from how much I eat (or don't) and onto the quality of my diet, so it's still a fixation but at least its a safer one.. maybe? LOL Anyway better sign off before I start spilling my guts... ;)

Take care - have a good workout! Glad to hear you're feeling good. :)
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/06/03, 04:11 PM
Hi Jessica, I do the same types of exercises for legs, and was wondering if you knew of anything else. I'd like to use the physio ball a bit more but am a bit intimidated doing some of those exercises on my own. Spinning is great, very intense workout for cardio and legs. Definately give it a shot, you'll be fine.

Don't be afraid to tell me things, I feel like I am on a eating roller coaster all of the time and am obsessed with my weight all the time. Hmmmm.......that is why I checked out this site so I can talk to people like me. Nutty I know.
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/03, 05:30 PM
I really haven't done much else w/ my legs - other than running and other cardio stuff. That's part of why I'm so excited about joining the gym. All the new stuff to do! LOL I haven't eaven tried the physio ball yet. I'm doing chest, triceps, abs tonight. Hadn't planned on going to the gym but my hb won't be home so it will give my daughter and I something to do. :) Maybe I'll even skip the abs, do them tomorrow and have a nice short workout today.

I can so relate to the eating roller coaster. I do think eating six small meals a day helps me - as long as I don't wait too long to eat. Having that small meal means I have to eat a lot sooner and if I don't I get really squirrelly. Not only do I binge but I'm a complete b*tch to be around. Seems like the rest of the world is on a three big meals a day schedule and that just doesn't work for me. So see, it's the rest of the world that's crazy. :)

I've seen posts here before about eating disorders and I wonder how many other people here are constantly raising their standards. I wish this was all about being fit and healthy for me. Sometimes it is, sometimes not; anyway, I do really enjoy pushing myself. Just wish I could be happier with what I've accomplished; I've worked really hard to get here! LOL Not really fair, is it?
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/06/04, 12:56 PM
Went heavier on my legs and shoulders last night and did the precor for 30 minutes. I broke down and weighed myself this morning and I guess last Saturday did affect me a little, nothing out of control. I'm not going to get down about it, just focus on not bingeing again. I don't have any other parties coming up so I should be ok. Tonight I am going to do a bit more cardio, maybe 45 min and some abs, since I didn't do them last night. I usually slack in the ab department since it's the last thing to do before I go home.

Currently, I eat 5x a day, and that works for me. Not too sure on my calorie intake but it should be around 1600-1700, which should be ok, what do you think?

I feel the same way as you and just think everyone has a certain look in their head that looks good to them. What upsets me the most is that I feel like I am bigger than all my friends. Which I am not too sure of, but just get down about it sometimes. I am 5'5 and 145 lbs or so, so I am not humungous, but not where I want to be. Hopefully, I'll get there.

What time are you training tonight?
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/06/04, 01:51 PM
Jumping back in here just to say that I did better last weekend as I only messed up on Sunday. Not excess calories, but definitely excess fat and not enough protein. We stayed home all weekend so it was easier. I find if I eat my regular meal before going to a party or something then I am less hungry when I get there and see the pizza, wings, cake, beer.....you know? sounds like you 2 are doing great though.

--------------
~Victoria~
rickyshot
rickyshot
United States
2003/06/04, 01:58 PM
Jumping in with y'all. I usually do not have a problem on weekends. You never know what the problem is. Like yesterday someone took my cereal bowl. I have a high protein cereal I eat in the am's at work. So what do I do. I went and got a bagel with marg. Oh crap. All day I craved carbs and went AWOL with the haggan dazz ice cream last nite. WHY?!!!! Today I am in more control but still craving carbs. I just ate some nuts.
azredhead57
azredhead57
United States
2003/06/04, 07:53 PM
Oh those weaknesses are the thorn in our sides. This morning, I confess, I had a Starbucks White Chocolate Mocha Latte. Shame, shame on me. It was a small on though ;) I have stayed on track the rest of the day though so I am counting those calories, however empty they are. Tomorrow is another day.....

--------------
~Victoria~
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/04, 09:16 PM
Andrea, I would think 1700 would be about right if you're trying to lose; I don't think I would go any lower than that. Have you checked the calculator on this site? It has been pretty accurate for me.

I did abs tonight but the past couple of days I haven't really been into working out. The gym has been really crowded; I'm feeling self conscious and I've been a little down anyway because the school year is coming to an end. My daughter goes to a co-op school so the parents (mostly moms) work at least once a week throughout the year. I've gotten really comfortable w/ all the other moms and next year I have to start over w/ a new class - most of the kids are going on to public school. Plus I loved my daughter's teacher this year. Anyway that has nothing to do w/ working out; I'm just thinking I need to take care of myself for a couple of days; nurse my residual sore muscles and take some needed rest.

Next workout day is leg day and I want to go in and give it everything I've got. :) We are staying in town this weekend so I won't be cheating as much - although I usually cheat a little on weekends anyway. Depends on how desperately I'm craving. Right now I'm not wanting the junk too bad.

Well, hb and daughter just came home w/ a movie; g'night all... JR
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/06/05, 12:42 PM
Hey there, I tried the calculator on the site and it was pretty cool I think it was pretty accurate for the most part, abotu 1600 or so.

I blew off abs last night, but will do them either tonight or Saturday. How many times a week do you do them?

I'm sorry you are down at the moment. Where do you live anyway? It's been so rainy and depressing here in NY all I want to do is sleep. I feel a bit bloated right now, you can imagine why, Ugh!

I don't have anything going on this weekend that should ruin me eating properly. I would love to catch a movie and other than that, nothing really. Tonight I am going to do some arms and cardio, and we'll see what else, maybe spin, not too sure.

But, I must say I've had pretty good workouts all week, and eating for the most part. YEAH.
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/05, 06:19 PM
I did abs last night but blew off cardio. :) I only do abs once a week, just like every other muscle. Of course they are also working hard stabilizing me whenever I work out. But I cheat more on abs than any other muscle since I don't really accumulate fat in my abdominal area - it doesn't take much work for me to get abdominal definition. Now my thighs... that is another story.

I'm feeling better today; we had a beautiful day! Had the class picnic today which was really nice. Other than that I should do okay this weekend and I really didn't do *too* bad at the picnic... well, I didnt' do great but I'm not feeling guilty about it. LOL I know the rest of the weekend I'll do fine; we're grilling out tonight, and not going out of town this weekend so we'll just hang out at home. I also have my leg day coming up this weekend which I'm really looking forward to.

I live in Kentucky. It's been rainy here, too. I can't believe it's June; it's usually really hot by now! But hopefully the next couple weeks will be pretty.

Congrats for sticking to it this week! I feel good about the week overall, too. I usually relax a little on the weekend; I'm not really trying to lose weight, just lean out a little. And honestly I'm waffling about that - I'm thinking I may try to build some leg muscle instead. I know I can't do that without putting on a little fat, too. So right now I'm a little unsure of my goals; that makes the only goal "Don't totally blow it" - which is a fairly reasonable goal to stick to. :)

In nine days I will be thirty. Maybe that will be a good thing; I can then say, I look pretty darn good FOR THIRTY! ROFL
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/06/06, 05:57 PM
Hi Jessica, how are you? I did arms last night at the gym and it was ok, I did go heavier. Didn't do cardio, I"ll do it tomorrow with abs. How many days a week do you do cardio? I usually try and get 4x, maybe 5x.

I am so pmsing at the moment, feeling a bit down and bloated.

I started taking a thermogenic supplement, don't worry there is no ephedra in it. Maybe that will give me the jump start I need with my weight loss. I got some pictures back from the baby shower and am unhappy with how I look that I am so focused on eating right. NO BINGES, NO Funny stuff.

I'll definately get in a workout tomorrow, so hopefully I'll feel better.

Hey, you also had a baby, so I'm sure you look great.

Have a good weekend.
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/06, 09:28 PM
Andrea, right now I'm not doing a lot of cardio. I really overdid the cardio all winter and lost muscle so right now I'm concentrating more on weights. I do a warm up on a bike or a treadmill and after my weights do about 20 minutes on the treadmill. Sometimes I run at home but since I joined the gym I've only been running on the treadmill because of the mosquitos. LOL

You know, having babies (2) and gaining a lot of weight have been hard on my body; I'm happy w/ the way I look w/ my clothes on but my skin hasn't entirely recovered and I have alot of stretchmarks. I'm sure smoking off for the better part of 15 years didn't help either.

Do you have kids yourself? How old are you? Sorry if you've already posted in another thread; I haven't read all the posts lately.

Take care, have a good workout tomorrow; I'm doing legs in the morning. I'm usually an evening girl so we'll see how that goes. LOL
Miyu
Miyu
United States
2003/06/07, 12:25 AM
I have a hard time with the weekend eating too- my little binge spread out to two weeks instead of two days. I've decided to try a diet journal. When I quit smoking I read this book "21 days to quit smoking" by the American Cancer Society... they had stuff for you to read each day. It really helped me stay focused. I thought I'd try the same thing, Miyu's 21 days of eating healthy. I'll write in my Diet Journal each morning- why I am on the diet, why I want to stay on the diet, stuff I've learned etc. That way I'll be starting each day focused on the positive aspects of changing my eating habits- and after 21 days my new habit will be good for me. At least that's how it will work in theory... since it worked with smoking it should work with eating right? What do you all think? Good idea or delusional?
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/07, 10:50 AM
Congrats on quitting smoking btw, I quit in Jan. :)

I think keeping a journal is a great way to stay focused. I kept a diet log for a while, just to get an idea of how to get everything I need out of my diet and not go over or under my goals. It sounds like you're talking about more of an inspirational type journal. I bet that would be really helpful.

Well, I'm off to do legs; it's not really morning anymore, is it? LOL Wish me luck!
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/06/07, 06:02 PM
Hello ladies, how are you? Well another rainy Saturday in the New York area. Congrats on the quitting smoking too, you should be very proud of yourself. I used to write in a food journal and found it pretty effective too. I guess at this point, I havent' gotten back into it yet.

I did 45 minutes of cardio this morning with abs too. I ran for 30 minutes and did the precor for 15. Phew. Oh, I did eat before the gym, I had an ww english muffin with some peanut butter. Hmmmm......now I remember why I started working out on an empty stomach on the weekends. It bothered me a bit although I did eat it about an hour to 45 minutes before. Maybe next time I'll eat a bar or something, or just bring the bar with me so I can eat it right after.

No binges so far, I am pretty set on letting go of that aspect of my weekends.

I got some pictures back from the baby shower last weekend and YUCK! So, I know what I need to do. How was your leg workout?
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/09, 10:05 AM
Congrats on making it through the weekend! :)

My leg workout was great; it didn't seem so hard and then by the time I went to bed my legs were already wobbly. Hamstrings and calves are especially sore. Yesterday was sort of my off day but the weather was so pretty in the morning I went for a run anyway and I'm thinking about doing the same today before it gets too hot. I've been running on the treadmill lately and I forgot how much I like running for "real". LOL

Maybe it would help to try a protein shake instead an hour or so before your workout? Or having something right after working out might work too. I bet someone here has a suggestion. The only time I ever really felt sick working out was when I went to Jazzercise after eating about a dozen no bake cookies. ROFL

I thought the food journal worked great for a while, but because I get so obsessive anyway about what I eat I thought it was good for me to give it up after a few months, once I got an idea how my diet should be going. Some days, like yesterday, I have a day where I really am hungry all day long. Not just munchies but truly ravenously hungry. I really feel like on those days I need to eat more often and if I worry about the final count at the end of the day I'll be giving myself a hard time. I just try to make sure I make good choices on those days, and get plenty of protein with every meal. If I don't I'm setting myself up to tear through the kitchen. But because of some of my own issues part of my goal here is to *stop* focusing on counting everything that goes in my mouth and just keep living a healthy lifestyle. Finding that balance is the hardest part for me. But Miyu's idea sounds really helpful.

Anyway, hope the weather improves in NY! It's supposed to be 84 here tomorrow. Whew, I need to find some sunscreen that won't break me out! Have a great afternoon everyone!

Oh btw, what is a precor?
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/06/10, 12:54 PM
Hey there, how are your legs holding up? Ugh, worked late last night and I have a cut off of 7:30pm for the gym. I would've gotten there by 7:45p and that is too late already. So i didn't work out last night, I"m not getting crazy about it though, it's one day and I"ll make it up if I can.

Another nice day here in NY, but I want to work out at the gym tonight and lift some weights and stuff. I cleaned up my bike and put air in the tires this past weekend too, so I can bust it out soon enough.

Still on fire with my dieting, really focused although I got my monthly......UGH! I do feel a bit gross. Oh well, comes with being a woman I guess.

What do you do for abs?

Have a good day.
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/12, 10:53 AM
I hate to rush through my workout, I would have done the same thing. The bike sounds good. My daughter finally got a full sized bike. I'd like to take mine out but she isn't very quick on it yet, so what I'd like to do is let her ride her bike and walk/jog along beside her. She is so adorable riding it. LOL But I think your rainy, nasty weather headed south because yesterday was grim and rainy and today is the same. Had a GREAT workout yesterday, though! Both my upper body workouts have really felt good this week; I'm really looking forward to my leg day Sat!

Got to get some cleaning done today... :( Take care!
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/06/16, 09:08 AM
Hello, how are you? How was your weekend? Mine was ok, eating was fine, have definately done worse on occasions. I did legs Thursday night and was sore till Saturday. Did some walking lunges, which it's been a while for those along with going heavier. Went for 2 walks yesterday one in the morning on my own and the other with a friend in the afternoon.

Have a great day. Hope you had a good weekend.

Andrea
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/18, 12:50 PM
I had a great weekend but ate terrible, cake and ice cream almost every day but it was my birthday. LOL At least I got all my exercise in. Had a really great leg workout Saturday. Ate really well once all the celebrating was over. LOL

Today I have chest/tris which I usually really like and maybe I'll throw in some abs, too. My sister and I work out at the same gym and I signed her up for a FT program today.

Not much news around here. Hope things are going well for you!
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/06/23, 02:36 PM
Hey girl, how are you? Workouts have been ok, just picked up a new pair of sneakers this weekend. My old ones were shot and they were hurting my feet. Wasn't too bad this weekend, nothing great though.

Hope to start running in the mornings now that it is a bit nicer and sunnier here. I've been totally slacking on abs, need to get tougher.
JessicaR
JessicaR
United States
2003/06/24, 10:46 AM
Hey, I am doing great! I need some new shoes, too. Mine are getting all worn out. I had a major cheat night this weekend but I was celebrating the halfway point of my eight week program so I feel okay about it. :) Have really seen results so far; I'm really pleased!

I have been running a lot, too - I'm not a good runner, can only manage about 2 or 3 miles in my neighborhood (hilly) but I've been running outside and then doing HIIT running on the treadmill at the gym a couple times a week. It's getting very hot here, though. I already have a major redneck tan going on from running in a tank top. LOL

Well, have a great week! I'm cracking down on my abs, too - I've been trying to up the weight on my squats but I think I need to work on my core strength. Bleh. :)

Have a great week!
ZelenyOko
ZelenyOko
United States
2003/06/25, 02:50 PM
Hi, I just want to jump in here and say I suffer the same problem - being very good when I'm in my more structured work week vs. losing it on the weekends. I hate that! I find it's much easier for me when I can plan what I'm eating before I eat it. Tonight for example, I'm going to bake a piece of arctic char and have it with brown basmati rice. I will probably pick up some kale too.

Also, I want to remind you that it really doesn't have to be about a number on the scale, rather how you're feeling and how your clothes fit. A friend of mine calls the weight loss journey (we're both in Weight Watchers) "Continuing Education". I think she's right! It's about always keeping it fresh and learning new ways to deal!

Jen
Andrea75
Andrea75
United States
2003/06/26, 11:50 AM
Well, you are not alone. I think if we plan what we want to eat on the weekends, we will be ok. Have it in your mind that you will not overeat and you should stay on track. That is how I am trying to handle things. good luck.
gwindalyn
gwindalyn
United States
2003/06/26, 12:43 PM

============
Quoting from effalunt:

Or, keep a calendar on your wall and put up a happy face or something for every day you stick to the plan. It feels good to see all those smiley faces at the end of the month.

=============

Great idea!!! I'm going to have to start using this one!! Kind of like getting a gold star in first grade! ROLF! Isn't it funny how those things STILL motivate us as adults?

--------------
~Jennifer
http://www.gwindalyn.com
If you dont stand for something, you will fall for anything.