Group: Injuries & Rehabilitation

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 54, Messages: 4465

Dealing with injuries and learning how to avoid them is extremely important!

Join group

push ups

tarab21
tarab21
United States
2003/04/07, 11:08 PM
When I was doing push ups tonight my elbow kept popping followed by a numb/tingling sensation on my lower arm. I quit after it became really uncomfortable. What should I do? Quit doing push ups?
2003/04/08, 09:01 AM
I've had the same thing happen to me at times. For me, it appears to happen when I haven't warmed up all the way. I run slowly for about 5-10 minutes, and then do a movement where I clench my fists as hard as I can while flexing my biceps, and then slowly straighten out my arms, keeping the fists clenched and muscle taut. I usually get one big crack out of my elbow in that motion, and don't have the problem again while I'm working out.

--------------
OSU Law Rugby....specializing in personal injury and pain & suffering.
jhadams
jhadams
United States
2003/04/08, 10:18 AM
Did you just start the push-up program or have you been doing them for a while? It may be just the lack of performing that type of movement/stress in the joint and you are going to have to build/stretch the area. A good stretch routine prior to the push ups may help. If you can picture this, try doing the following.

Take your right arm and bring it across your chest as straight as possible, then take your left arm and cradle the forearm of your right. Using the left for resistance, push into the "cradle" with your left, which should give you a good stretch along the triceps and hopefully that elbow area. Repeat with the other side. You can also grab a door hinge or pole with one arm, thumb pointed down (sort of a backwards grip) and sort of pull/stretch the area that way too. Just some ideas for stretching that may help that area!