Group: Eating Disorders

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 33, Messages: 1316

Find the advice that you need by sharing and learning from others experiences. You're never alone.

Join group

what does water have to do w/ losin weig

kopi
kopi
Bulgaria
2004/09/23, 07:44 AM
granny told me that her doctor said if she drinks too much water she would drown her cells. at first i thought that was silly, but what is your opinion?
so i guess mu question is does drinking a lot of water really help you lose weight? and just out of curiosity how many liters of water do you drink a day? :)
DanielJLove
DanielJLove
United States
2004/09/23, 12:23 PM
Kopi,

I tried to look up a good article on water and weight loss for you, but couldn't find one. So I will try to shoot from the hip.

Basically water is important to weight loss for a few reasons. First, the body requires hydration (appropriate water levels) to run many if not all of the metabolic functions needed for survival. So if you dehydrate yourself, thos metabolic rxns cannot run quite as efficiently.

Flowing from that, water is needed for proper muscle contraction and therefore dehydration will reduce the intensity of your physical workout. Furthermore, fatigue being a side effect of dehydration will also limit not only your actual intensity, but your desire to go to the gym in the first place.

Now this one is a little wierd, but when you are dehydrated you retain water. The surest way to get rid of retained water is to drink water. This has a lot to do with the water sodium pump. When I was in nursing school I was told that where the sodium goes the water flows. So by drinking a lot of water you are flushing sodium out of the extracellular environment, thus pulling water out of the cells and out of the body.

Finally, water lubricates your joints, mouth and gastric system. It aides in the elimination and cooling processes and can curb appetite (sometimes thirst is masked as hunger).

Now about your granny. This is a hard question to answer without knowing her medical condition, but I will give you a couple of generals. Sometimes with people there are medical conditions that can limit the amount of fluid the body can handle (cardiac, renal, psychiatric, etc.). It is most likely that your grannies physician is giving her recommendations that are specific to her. I wouldn't even try to translate them to you. I assume you are of a healthy age, and should have no real problem with water consumption (In extreme case, when drinking constantly (4-5 gallons or more per day) you can deplete sodium stores and cause seizures, however, this is hard to do and not common).

I personally try to drink a gallon a day, although I am not always very sucessful. It has been said that you should drink an ounce for every KG of body weight, or just a gallon a day. Either way you should be fairly hydrated. Also try to have some available with you when you workout so that you can maintain your intensity during the workout.

Daniel Love
swimgal85
swimgal85
United States
2004/09/24, 08:22 PM
Well, water does a lot, as Daniel said in the post before me. Basically, yes, drinking a healthy amount of water a day will make you healthier, feel better, and help in losing weight because it is a substance your body needs in order to function effeciently. I am 5'3 125 lb female and I drink about... 6 large glasses of plain water and 2-3 glasses juice or milk, etc a day and I stay well hydrated. Just to give you an idea.

Best of luck!

--------------
swimgal

Getting through a horrible day and still feeling like you did your best is the biggest accomplishment. - unknown
shortygirl947
shortygirl947
United States
2004/10/10, 05:48 PM
has any one try that stuff they have on tv call realcore if you have has it work...
Bighoss147
Bighoss147
United States
2004/10/17, 09:04 PM
Water acts as the base enviroment to all chemical reactions with in your body so it pretty much just increases efficency.