Group: Strength & Powerlifting

Created: 2012/01/01, Members: 39, Messages: 16459

Discuss the topic of Power lifting, Strength training and Strong Man training!

Join group

vertical jump tips you might find useful

arnold789
arnold789
United States
2004/05/24, 04:38 PM
VERTICAL JUMP SECRETS

Tip #1: Visualize. Try this trick for instant vertical jump increases. Test your jump by seeing how high on the backboard you get. Now close your eyes and vividly imagine yourself exploding upwards to a goal you have. Next, imagine all the muscles in your legs getting stronger & bigger. Then you should focus on feeling lighter, loose & springy. Think about it for a moment. Finally repeat this out-loud or in your head “I feel myself getting more powerful & much lighter”. Now your ready to try that jump again. Everyone I’ve taught this method so far has experienced an immediate gain no less than 2 inches & some as much as 5 inches!

Tip #2: Forceful arm-swing. This is a commonly neglected jump factor that can account for 15% more lift. Try this, next jump you go up for I want you to deliberately concentrate on swinging your arms up fast @ the beginning of your jump. See what happens!

Tip #3: Flexibility. Those elite gymnast that I’ve worked with can generate a lot of total body power. How else do you pull off a Triple back-flip? Well all of them have total body flexibility, which has to many benefits to mention here, but one is a role in the stretch-reflex cycle. Start stretching at least 3x a week. Stretching the hip flexor by doing front splits is the most important as you can see immediate increases just by loosening them up.

Tip #4: Inner abdominal strength. I’m not referring to the rectus-abs you get from sit-ups, you already know they’re important. I’m talking about the transverse abdominal wall, underneath them, which plays a key role in every power movement & you can make them stronger. Suck in your stomach with a deep breath, try to imagine sucking into the spine. Hold this position for 20 seconds. Repeat 4 more times, do these 3-4 times a week to reap the performance rewards and the appearance of a slimmer waist as the internal organs won’t sag!

Tip #5: Overspeed sprinting. A common misconception is to run with weights or a parachute to increase speed. Although it helps by developing muscles, the real gains come when you alter your innate speed by training the nervous system. All overspeed running is, is moving those legs faster than they normally go. The best way I know of is downhill running. Give it a try!

Tip #6: Strengthen the tibialis anterior. Here’s one pro athletes know & use. This muscles is located on the shin & commonly referred to as the dorsi-flexors. Build these & you will add inches to your jump, eliminate shin splints, and improve take-off quickness. The dorsi-flexors stabilize the lower leg allowing maximum take-off force. You won’t target this group using the proprioceptor plugs. One way to start working them, is try walking around on your heels without letting the ball of your foot touch. Do this until you feel a good burn. Ultimately your going to have to take better measures! In our complete vertical jump program “bionic jumping power” I’ll show you much better ways to develop your shins. The pros use a special devise called D.A.R.D, that will allow you to build maximum strength. You can get the D.A.R.D. as well as our bionic jumping power CD-Rom on our web site www.bionicplyometrics.com

Tip #7: Lower cortisol levels. Intense work-outs cause the release of a catabolic hormone called cortisol. If you suppress those cortisol levels you will gain strength & recover from exercise much faster. A good way to do this is taking a post exercise hot-cold bath or even shower.Start in warm water for 5 min. then switch to as cold as you can take for 2-3 min.

Tip #8: Waveloading. Here is another good instant vert. Trick you can play on the nervous system. Load your body with some weight before jumping, like say jumping with a medicineball. What happens is your body will recruit more motor units in the working muscles, allowing the work to seem much easier when you don’t have the weight because you are now using more of them! This trick works with any exercise & is great breaking plateaus.

Tip #9: Springbak speedsoles. Former L.A. Laker Bill Crow is the genius behind these micro thin shoe inserts, made of patented material, that are being used by U.S.A. Olympic volleyball teams. Remember the old saying “It must be the shoes”, well it is if you have these speedsoles in them! When I first saw them I thought the claims were a farce, so I had to buy some to put them to the test. We at Bionic Plyometrics found with the inserts in an immediate 2 inch increase in vertical jump & drop in 40 yard dash times of 1/10 of a second. These springbak rubber shoe inserts are gradually becoming more popular and retail for about $25. We now offer them on our site as well!

Tip #10: Strengthen the toe muscles. Flexor Hallucis Longus are the small muscles that start in the lower leg & come down to the big toe. Work this for an added inch by trying to curl in/or crunch the toes.

Tip #11: Faster reflexes. Get reaction speed so fast everything in the game will seem like slow motion. Here is list of some supplements that have been clinically proven to enhance focus & reflexes: Vinpocetine --increases blood flow to the brain, studies show 35% better reaction!
Huperzine – similar effects to the herb vinpocetine.
Alpha lipoic acid – among many numerous benefits it protects & rebuild nerve endings. Also increases cellular energy production.
Forskohlii extract – this herb has similar caffeine effects which are good pre-game/work out boosters as well as increasing alertness. This one has a yet another fringe benefit worth mentioning. Forskohlii increases thyroid hormone (T3) levels, which are associated with causing the body to convert slow-twitch muscle fiber into fast-twitch explosive muscle fiber!!!
Gingko biloba –save your money on this one, while claims are made to increase focus, a 6 week study found no actual differences.

Tip# 12: reverse hyper-extentions for the glutes!!!
ursusarktos
ursusarktos
Canada
2004/05/24, 05:58 PM
Do you take the above info at face value or was this posted for a laugh?

I looked up the website this stuff came from (bionicplyometrics.com) and found some real doozies! :big_smile: They'll sell shoe inserts that are supposed to add 2" to your vertical? They recommend supplements that are supposed to convert slow twitch muscle fibres to fast twitch :laugh: Better still on this site, another supplement is recommended to delay growth plate closure so you can grow taller if your still growing (too late for me - LOL).

There is alot of stuff that is really 'out there' on the 'net.