Group: Under 25 Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 647, Messages: 8009

Everyone 25 years of age and under are encouraged to join this group to share common goals, stories and encouragement with their goals.

Join group

underweight?

matadm
matadm
United States
2009/07/13, 03:12 AM
I was born in a very small family where my father is 5'11" and weights 125 lbs, my mother is about 5'6" and weights about 120 lbs, and then I come into the picture at 6'2" and weight only 115 lbs. I have been trying to put on weight for the past couple of months, but nothing seems to work. My speedy metabolism and small bone structure isn't helping at all either. All I want to do is gain weight to make myself look more attractive. Any help would be great!
ash-1990
ash-1990
United Kingdom
2009/07/13, 09:02 PM
i know egzactly how you fee mate but i seem to get Egnored when i post up a topic just like you have been till i saw the thread :( why dont people want to help
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2009/07/15, 01:08 AM
every time i help know body posts back but ok heres how its done im living proof in the tenth grade i weighed 130 pounds at 6' tall. i had the small frame and i was sick of it. so for about 6 months i lifted with no real direction and gained about 10 lbs. ok i wasnt happy i went on the internet did my research and was able to get to 185 lbs by the end of 11th grade. 55 lbs in 1.5 years
what i did wrong in the first 6 months:
focused on arms and chest way to much
did not eat enough ate like the average person
worked to high of a rep range
didnt give it total dedication
worked out way to often
heres how i fixed it:
started to deadlift: dl from 250 to 425 in a year
benched 5-12 rep range
focused on barbell curl preacher curl incline curl chin ups for arms
bent over rows for arms and back
military press cant be ignored
how often per week
military press 1x
bench press 1x
deadlift 1x
arms 2x
rows 1x
i dont have the equipment for squats
nutrition plain and simple EAT EAT EAT EAT and then when your full EAT
2grams of protein per lb of body weight
i eat about 4000 calories a day
your metabolism is already high so if you run or are highly active you are hurting your chances
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2009/07/15, 01:16 AM
menace 3000 told me this a while back
#1 think movements not bodyparts
#2 lift heavy
#3 eat more...imagine a lot of food....ok now eat an extra meal on top...or at least slowly built towards this....little at a time...
#4 stop reading garbage bodybuilding mags
#5 forget about isolation
#6 focus on strength and increase calories steadily
#7 to improve conditioning efficiently....do high intensity aerobic and anaerobic conditioning...ross enamait's infinite intensity is a great book....http://www.8weeksout.com/ check out joel jamieson's site, he also posts on sherdog's conditioning forum as EZA....he's extremely knowledgeable
....basically doing stuff like bw circuits, EDT challenges, 100 burpees, sprints, etc.....'finishers' at the end of your workouts is a great way to do that....do 100 burpees for time ...

i was a skinny guy growing up...5'10 140 in HS...still got the license to prove it...and lifting heavy and focusing on few compound lifts has always got me good gains...
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2009/07/15, 01:28 AM
Diet conducive to gaining is essential. It is imparitive though to remember, that though you need more calories, this does not mean you will gain substantially more muscle the more calories you take in.

There is going to be a maximum rate of muscle growth determined by genetics, hormones, drugs and training.

bb1fit
Most all calories beyond what is needed to support that growth will go to fat or just excreted.

It takes about 1200-2400 cal to synthesize a pound of muscle. Now this is assuming a "perfect world" where all calories will be utilized. But, as mentioned above, partitioning is different in all of us,(genetics, etc.) some better than others.
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2009/07/15, 01:29 AM
dont know why i put it in the middle bb1fit wrote all of that
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2009/07/15, 01:31 AM
Raphael Calzadilla, BA, CPT, ACE
eDiets Chief Fitness Pro
The following is an email I received:

"Raphael, I can?t seem to put on muscle no matter how intensely I lift weights. I work out hard and always have
mind-blowing workouts, but the muscle just won?t come on. What?s wrong with my training?"

Can you figure out where this guy is going wrong with his training and his goal to build muscle? I eventually found out that this individual was eating about 1,800 calories per day on a 5'11" frame.

Have the answer to his workout problem?

The nutrition program he designed was also significantly lacking in protein.

Is it getting clearer?

The answer, of course, is that nothing is wrong with his training! His problem is his nutrition. This isn't an uncommon problem or uncommon email. Most people quickly learn the best methods for training (especially if they stay away from the muscle magazine workouts), but few know how many calories to consume or how much protein, carbohydrate and fats to eat in order to build muscle.

Of all factors related to putting on muscle, such as workouts, supplements, rest, lack of stress and nutrition, I rank nutrition as number one. I'm not suggesting that the other factors are insignificant. They are all vital. However, based on my experience, nutrition rules!

When I was a beginning weight trainer, I wanted simple answers and a straightforward approach. However, I just couldn?t find one. Everyone told me something different about how to eat in order to put on muscle. I remember the answers, ?just eat more,? ?take in more protein,? and ?don?t eat junk food.? All correct answers, but they told me very little.

I?m going to save you time searching for the right formula by providing a concrete plan to put on muscle. A system that works! Enough of my babble, the following is a step-by-step system to gain muscle from a nutrition standpoint.

1. DETERMINING CALORIES -- This formula is based on putting on muscle, not strictly body fat loss.

FORMULA FOR MEN:

A very active male seeking weight (muscle) gain = ideal body weight x 17

A moderately active male seeking weight (muscle) gain = ideal body weight x 16

Inactive male beginning a weight (muscle) gain exercise program = ideal bodyweight x 15

FORMULA FOR WOMEN

A very active female seeking weight (muscle) gain = ideal body weight x 15

A moderately active female seeking weight (muscle) gain = ideal body weight x 13

Inactive female beginning a weight (muscle) gain exercise program = ideal bodyweight x 12

HERE?S AN EXAMPLE:

A moderately active male currently weighing 160 pounds wants to put on muscle. His goal is to add five pounds of muscle to his frame. Here is the formula: 165 (ideal body weight) x 16 (moderately active male) = 2,640 calories. Please keep it realistic! If you're 160 pounds and you place 250 pounds into the formula as your ideal weight, you?ll just get fat!

2. DETERMINING RATIO OF PROTEIN, CARBOHYDRATE AND FATS

Now that we know how to determine calories, let?s take a look at how to calculate ratios of protein, carbohydrate and fats. If you?re looking to put on muscle, a ratio of 55 percent carbohydrate, 30 percent protein and 15 percent fat is an excellent balance.

The 55 percent carbohydrate (keep refined carbohydrates to a minimum) will provide ample energy for intense workouts, and the 30 percent protein will provide the necessary building blocks for muscle. Also, the 15 percent fat will help with strength levels. Most people interested in building muscle will actually lose strength if dietary fat is reduced too low.

Below is an example using our imaginary male, who will be consuming 2,640 calories.

Fifty-five percent of 2,640 calories = 1,452 calories from carbohydrate

Thirty percent of 2,640 calories = 792 calories from protein, 15 percent of 2,640 calories = 396 calories

There are metabolic differences between various individuals, so sometimes these ratios need to be slightly skewed. However, if you?ve already joined eFitness, you are already aware that we can help in the monitoring of your program.

Keep in mind that this is about gaining muscle, not having fat loss as your primary goal. Fat loss ratios and calorie calculations are different than the above.

3. HOW DO I EAT AND WHEN DO I EAT?

The best way to put on muscle is... carefully. You can?t expect to eat pizza and subs every day and put on quality muscle. Muscle doesn't come on quickly. In fact, it takes consistency, hard work and patience. However, I know you want to see some type of meal sample! Again, the following is merely a sample! It's not customized for you, so don?t just use it because it looks good.

Meal spacing is important in order to control blood sugar levels. However, when one wants to put on muscle, it's important to raise blood sugar levels immediately after the workout with a protein/carbohydrate shake. The carb source should be primarily glucose based, such as grape juice. This is prime time to shuttle vital nutrients into the muscle through the manipulation of insulin levels. Meals should be spaced every two to three hours except for the post-workout time frame. A sample meal schedule may look something like this:

6:30-8 a.m. -- egg white omelet, 1 cup oatmeal

9:30 a.m. -- 5 oz. tuna, 4oz. starch, 1 cup vegetables

12:30 p.m. -- 5 oz. chicken breast, 4 oz. sweet potato

3:30 p.m. -- meal replacement shake

6:00 p.m. (post-workout) -- 30-40 grams protein powder, 8 oz. of grape juice

7:00 p.m. -- 5 oz. turkey breast, 1 cup brown rice, 1 cup vegetables

9:00 p.m. -- 1 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 apple, 5 almonds

That?s it! You have most of what you need for success. What brings this to the next level is working directly with eFitness to keep you on track, occasionally ?tweak? your program and to provide other strategic tips that set you apart from the pack.

Putting on muscle is a combination of intelligent nutrition, workouts and supplementation.

A competitive bodybuilder and former 2001 Mr. Connecticut, Raphael Calzadilla is a veteran of the health and fitness industry. He specializes in a holistic approach to body transformation, nutrition programs and personal training. He earned his B.A. in Communications from Southern Connecticut State University and is certified as a personal trainer with ACE and APEX. In addition, he successfully completed the RTS1 program based on biomechanics.
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2009/07/15, 01:32 AM
one of asimmers posts above
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2009/07/15, 01:34 AM
the reason people ignore these posts is because the info is already there any more questions ill answer them ive been there i know how you feel.
Pensfan
Pensfan
United States
2009/07/17, 03:22 PM
this is why i dont even answer questions anymore knowbody posts back the guy who posted it only has 1 post he probably hasnt even read this