Group: Men's Club

Created: 2011/12/31, Members: 253, Messages: 6838

A place for men to gather and share experiences, advice and information amongst themselves.

Join group

thicken tri's

mitchster
mitchster
United States
2002/11/25, 04:57 AM
i have been trying to thicken my arms up and my bi's are really responding, but my tri's aren't doing anything. im looking for something that will really hit them hard. i've tried just about every exercise i know of and im still not getting the gains i want. i am seeing gains strength wise, but not in the shape i want. if you have any tips, let me know.
mikencharleston
mikencharleston
United States
2002/11/25, 07:58 AM

"i've tried just about every exercise i know of and im still not getting the gains i want"

That's a pretty broad statement and it's possible that you are doing too much. Post back with what you're doing specifically and someone can offer some suggestions.
srhard
srhard
United States
2002/11/25, 09:28 AM
Tell you what i have had a real hard time with finding an excercise that really hits the tris hard, the reason being that all the excercises that i do except pull downs seem to feel like the are going to hurt something. i have alot of friends that do skull crushers, and it seems to work for them but for me it hurts my elbows. have u looked under muscle targeting? it seems they have a few excercises that might do the trick for u.
chris789
chris789
United States
2002/11/25, 10:08 AM
I'm not sure exactly what tri exercises you are doing now, but here are a few suggestions. Lying french presses are good, I don't bring the weight just to my forehead because I don't feel it give the muscle the proper stretch, so I bring it all the way back to the top of my head. Make sure your elbows are at a 90 degree angle or less, if you angle them too far forward, you'll be incorporating your shoulders too much. Close grip bench is also a good exercise. Use a close grip on the bar, and keep your elbows in and angle them down to your side, instead of bringing them out like I see alot of people do; this will give you that pressing movement instead of a pushing movement. Also cable pushdowns, and the two are dumbell exercise in which you stand up and bring the weight down to the back of your neck, then press over your head. Make sure you perform these exercises correctly and you'll probably see results. One more thing, don't do all of these exercises in one workout, I'm just throwing out suggestions.

--------------
"Some people call it insanity, I call it intensity"
mitchster
mitchster
United States
2002/11/26, 12:12 AM
ok the main excercises i do are dips, tricep pushdowns, cable pulldowns, overhead tri hammers and lying/standing/sitting/ french presses. obviously i don't do these all at the same time. lol. and specifically i want to THICKEN the tri's (im talking width here). i tried reverse grip pull downs but they hurt my elbows so i stopped doing them. again, any help will be much appreciated thank you.
chris789
chris789
United States
2002/11/26, 10:13 AM
If your main goal is to thicken them, you may want to try tricep kickbacks. They have an illustration is you go to the Muscle Targeting section on this site. It's a good thickening exercise, but you may also want to try close grip bench. It's a great overal tricep mass builder. You'd be suprise how much of a difference it makes to incorporate a large variety when working muscles, but esp. triceps since they contain 3 different heads.

--------------
"Some people call it insanity, I call it intensity"
the_w8lifter
the_w8lifter
United States
2002/11/26, 10:14 AM
By thick, I assume you mean the long head of the tris on the bottom of your arm. Overhead extensions (using a curl bar) are the best I have found for this. One dumbbell two handed french presses (which may be what you are doing) are great for this as well. To work the long head most effectively, you must do exercises (like the ones above) that get your arms away from your body. Skull crushers (mentioned above) does this very well. I always start with this type of exercise because it is usually more difficult than something like pressdowns. I like to finish with pressdowns or dips. I also like tricep kickbacks. It doesn't require a lot of weight. Concentrating on tri and making it do all the work really burns. I consider it flexing with a weight. Hope this with the posts above helps.
Carivan
Carivan
Canada
2002/11/26, 05:26 PM
You may also want to try Dips using to benches, or Parallel bar dips.

--------------
To change it, or to create it, simply train it!

Ivan Montreal Canada