Group: Doin-it 2012!

Created: 2012/01/04, Members: 86, Messages: 92

Women who want to achieve their weight loss goal this year- 2012. We will challenge and encourage one another! If you've made up your mind to "do it!" this is the group for you!!

Join group

Strength Training vs. Cardio

hibarra82
hibarra82
United States
2012/02/01, 08:05 PM
I have been doing a lot of research about the best workout routine to loose weight, but it seems there are a lot of different ideas by well qualified professionals about whether strength training or cardio is the most important factor in lossing weight. Just yesterday I met with a trainer who explained to me why stregth training is 45%, nurtrition is 45%, and cardio is 10%. Feeling great about my new found knowledge I stumble across an article on web MD that basically debunked that whole theory and stated cardio is the best way to loose weight....ahhhh so confusing. What have you ladies found most helpful?
georgiaslb
georgiaslb
United States
2012/02/01, 11:07 PM
Hi hibarra :) I was talking to a trainer am my gym and he mentioned how women tend to do cardio like crazy and very little strength training, and that is not ok. I enjoy strength training more than cardio :) so it is fine for me. He also mentioned that cardio should be done after strength training because you get more fat burn that way. :) Keep it up :)
Cermakovia
Cermakovia
Canada
2012/02/02, 12:03 PM
hibarra82 I am going to have to side with your trainer on this one - strength training plays a big part in losing weight!  Muscle burns more calories than fat when you are at rest and gives you that sexy shape.  Just doing cardio alone you would probably still lose, but you always look just a bit flabby even when you are skinny as there is no muscle to give you definition! Plus strength training  keeps you strong, healthy and helps to prevent injury.  Of course a healthy diet plays a big role as well.